Urban Meyer: 08 Gators, best team to ever play

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I would put the 1971 Nebraska team against anybody. They completely destroyed an undefeated Alabama team 38-6 in the 1972 Orange Bowl.
That's a legitimate pick as well. They played a tough schedule, went unbeaten, drilled unbeaten #2 in the bowl game, and (I stand corrected earlier) only had one close game, the 35-31 Game of the Century.

But of course I never saw them so......and unlike the Huskies, it's not like all their games are available.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
For the record, I still think the best team I've ever seen play was the '95 Huskers - they just dominated everybody with an average margin of victory of nearly 40 points.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
And who do you think controls the greatest ***TEAM***? Wouldn't that be the ***COACH***?

Also, that's a super weird way to write both team & coach. I don't like it.

Seriously, that's why the quote "He can take his'n and beat your'n and take your'n and beat his'n," exists about Bear Bryant. A team is more than the sum of it's players.
Actually it is not a super weird way to write it. That team was so talented and many of those players went on to be some if the most dominant at their positions in the NFL. Many of them will be in the NFL HOF. The only reason one could argue is that they played one less regular season game and didn't play a conference championship game. As far as Coker goes, they just proved that even with an average coach they could still go undefeated. Just imagine if Davis had stayed or that had been someone like Pete Carroll or Nick Saban coaching it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
For the record, I still think the best team I've ever seen play was the '95 Huskers - they just dominated everybody with an average margin of victory of nearly 40 points.
Yeah, it's hard to argue against that team. The only point of contention from my vantage point is that in six different games their defense gave up over 21 points. They gave up more in those six games than 1991 Washington gave up in 12 or the 2011 Tide in 13. And my own view is that greatest team should be both offense and defense.

But you're right that was an absolutely awesome Nebraska team. Across the entire dynasty (1993-1997).

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
While it won't get a lot of support, I think the best team of all-time that never lost a game (certainly in my lifetime) was the 1991 Washington Huskies.
Great team and I remember them well also. They destroyed everyone on their schedule except Cal and USC. I think they crushed #4 Mich in the Rose Bowl as well if I remember right. I can't outright agree that they are the GOAT among Undefeated NC teams but I wholeheartedly agree they belong in the discussion. It's a shame that they have kind of been forgotten. It's like most people only remember Miami as being the '91 champs.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I would put the 1971 Nebraska team against anybody. They completely destroyed an undefeated Alabama team 38-6 in the 1972 Orange Bowl.
Best within their era - hard to beat them. The 1966 Alabama team comes to mind. I suspect that either of those teams would struggle today against the better teams - hard to be sure when comparing across eras.

I was too young to remember any of that play.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
It's not just that they lost a game. They lost to Ole Miss. At home. You can't overcome that in the GOAT debate.

I would favor the usual suspects as well - 1995 Nebraska, 2001 Miami, etc. And I'd never considered 1991 Washington, but Selma makes some great points there. I'm not sure any of the CNS teams make the cut. 2009 was undefeated and played a very tough schedule. 2011 was the very best defense I've seen, but the loss at home to LSU looms large in the discussion. 2012 had a great offense but I can't look past losing to A&M at home.

The way '95 Nebraska just demolished everyone including a 12-0 Florida team is extremely impressive.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
Actually it is not a super weird way to write it. That team was so talented and many of those players went on to be some if the most dominant at their positions in the NFL. Many of them will be in the NFL HOF. The only reason one could argue is that they played one less regular season game and didn't play a conference championship game. As far as Coker goes, they just proved that even with an average coach they could still go undefeated. Just imagine if Davis had stayed or that had been someone like Pete Carroll or Nick Saban coaching it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For some reason this keeps getting lost in translation so I'll have to say it again. Urban wasn't talking about the most talented team. He was talking about the best team. A team is more than the sum of it's players. It's everything. Players, staff, heck even the trainers & S&C coaches who help prepare those players.

Regardless, 2001 Miami has 1 sure fire NFL HOFer. Ed Reed.

Portis isn't getting in, neither is Winslow, Shockey McKinney, Vilma etc. None of those guys are preparing HOF speeches. They were all great NFL players at one time or another, but calling them HOF material is a stretch.

Even Andre Johnson is a bit of a long shot. Tim Brown isn't even in the NFL HOF. Yes that Tim Brown. The guy who did this:

NFL rookie-season record for most combined yards gained, with 2,317 (1988).
NFL record 10 consecutive seasons with at least 75 receptions
NFL record for consecutive seasons with at least 5 touchdowns scored (11) - shared with Marvin Harrison, Don Hutson, Cris Carter, Terrell Owens, & Jerry Rice
NFL record for being the oldest player ever to score a touchdown on special teams - (35 years, 140 days) 85-yard punt return
NFL record for most consecutive games with more than one reception (147 games, 1993–2002)
NFL record for being the oldest player with 12+ receptions in a single game - (36 years, 97 days): 10/27/02 @ KC Chiefs, 13 receptions, 144 receiving yards
NFL record for consecutive starts by a wide receiver: 176
Only player to have 1,600 receiving yards against four different teams (Broncos, Chiefs, Chargers, Seahawks)
Holds the following team records with the Los Angeles/Oakland Raiders:
Games (240) and seasons (16) played
Touchdowns (104)
Receiving (14,734 yards, 1,070 receptions, 99 touchdowns)
Punt return (3,272 punt-return yards, 320 punt returns, 3 punt returns for touchdowns)
All-purpose yards (19,431)
Yards from scrimmage (14,924)

WR is a hard position to get into the HOF for.

So you've got one starter off 2001 Miami who might be an NFL Hall of Famer. I'm not arguing that they aren't one of the most talented teams to ever take the field. But A well coached team can beat a talented team.

A well coached team who also happens to be a talented team? That's an almost unstoppable recipe for a college football team. 2001 Miami wasn't that.

Last edited:

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
Going back to Urban Meyer, I would hate to know that I had a player for 4 years who won the Heisman and national titles, that is so mechanically flawed that they could not stick on an NFL roster. Don’t give me the spread excuse because throwing a football is the same no matter what offense you are running. He should be ashamed of that and not worry about GOAT.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
But what happens if 2 of the best teams of all time just happen to play in the same year?
I'd call 2011 an aberration, certainly, but I don't think those were to the two best CFB teams ever. Both of them are among the best, but I don't think either qualifies as the best. LSU's body of work from 2011 is very, very impressive, but they lost BADLY to Bama. Bama played well all season, but chocked big-time - at home - against LSU.

IMO, GOAT teams never choke.

That said, Bama's 2011 D is the best I've ever seen.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Going back to Urban Meyer, I would hate to know that I had a player for 4 years who won the Heisman and national titles, that is so mechanically flawed that they could not stick on an NFL roster. Don’t give me the spread excuse because throwing a football is the same no matter what offense you are running. He should be ashamed of that and not worry about GOAT.
In Tebow's defense (I can't believe I'm about to defend Tebow) the NFL should have left his throwing mechanics alone. Some guys play better just doing what feels natural. Phillip Rivers is basically completely a sidearmed thrower and he turned out just fine. I think the mechanics stuff got in Tebow's head and messed him up a good deal. Similar to pitchers in Baseball. Too much tinkering with someone's delivery and you have negated their natural ability. Also he was/is a system spread type player and no team ever committed to running that offense with him. The best they did was play a hybrid 50/50 scheme. I'm a Broncos fan so I know unfortunately...lol...or fortunately in that it lead to getting Manning. Tebow never got the opportunity that RGIII, Wilson, and Kaepernick have received in running a similar style offense.

Jordan54

1st Team
Aug 20, 2007
Gardendale, Al
Best within their era - hard to beat them. The 1966 Alabama team comes to mind. I suspect that either of those teams would struggle today against the better teams - hard to be sure when comparing across eras.

I was too young to remember any of that play.
I did see the 1971 Nebraska team, and there is no doubt in my mind they were the best ever. First, they defeated an awesome Oklahoma team that year, plus they manhandled a very good Alabama team. We had no shot against that team on that night. Remember also, they were National Champs the previous year as well.

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
They beat Bama by 11 and OU by 10. Comfortable wins, but not dominant. You need to dominate your best opponents to be considered GOAT. Like 95 Nebraska and 01 Miami. Plus they lost to Ole Miss. Come on.

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
I'd call 2011 an aberration, certainly, but I don't think those were to the two best CFB teams ever. Both of them are among the best, but I don't think either qualifies as the best. LSU's body of work from 2011 is very, very impressive, but they lost BADLY to Bama. Bama played well all season, but chocked big-time - at home - against LSU.

IMO, GOAT teams never choke.

That said, Bama's 2011 D is the best I've ever seen.
I'd say those two teams are top ten, maybe Bama top 5, but it isn't just what you're capable of on your best night, but performance throughout the season that must be taken into account, and, as you said, Bama choked against LSU.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
In Tebow's defense (I can't believe I'm about to defend Tebow) the NFL should have left his throwing mechanics alone. Some guys play better just doing what feels natural. Phillip Rivers is basically completely a sidearmed thrower and he turned out just fine. I think the mechanics stuff got in Tebow's head and messed him up a good deal. Similar to pitchers in Baseball. Too much tinkering with someone's delivery and you have negated their natural ability. Also he was/is a system spread type player and no team ever committed to running that offense with him. The best they did was play a hybrid 50/50 scheme. I'm a Broncos fan so I know unfortunately...lol...or fortunately in that it lead to getting Manning. Tebow never got the opportunity that RGIII, Wilson, and Kaepernick have received in running a similar style offense.
I would also add Bernie Kosar to the list. He did pretty good in the pros with his ugly throwing motion. If I remember correctly, it was side armed as well.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
I did see the 1971 Nebraska team, and there is no doubt in my mind they were the best ever. First, they defeated an awesome Oklahoma team that year, plus they manhandled a very good Alabama team. We had no shot against that team on that night. Remember also, they were National Champs the previous year as well.
Probably the only time we were completely out-manned, and had zero chance of winning. It was painful to watch. Zero U did about the same to API, so that reinforces the claim for NU.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.