Urban Meyer: 08 Gators, best team to ever play

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
To give you an idea of how impressive even an East Coast (re: ESPN) stacked and influenced media was with Washington - Miami lost the coach's national title to the Huskies and BARELY HELD ON to the AP title. Folks were upset because Miami was supposed to go play Florida (who had only lost to Syracuse on the road and had beaten Florida with far greater ease than Miami had) in the Sugar Bowl. Instead, they cowered down into the Orange Bowl and faced #15 Nebraska. That cost them votes with the AP. Washington mauled a Michigan team that had only lost to Florida State in September.

In fact, Washington played FOUR RANKED OPPONENTS and ONE just out of the Top 25 opponents. FOUR of those were on the road and Washington beat the five foes by an AVERAGE of 31 points. Keep in mind that includes the seven-point win over Cal among the four.

So yes, Sip - I did say that. And not to knock the 1966 team because it wasn't their fault but I think that choosing any team from the nearly all-white era of college football as the all-time great is....well, not the greatest thing I've ever seen.

But hey - to each his own.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
To give you an idea of how impressive even an East Coast (re: ESPN) stacked and influenced media was with Washington - Miami lost the coach's national title to the Huskies and BARELY HELD ON to the AP title. Folks were upset because Miami was supposed to go play Florida (who had only lost to Syracuse on the road and had beaten Florida with far greater ease than Miami had) in the Sugar Bowl. Instead, they cowered down into the Orange Bowl and faced #15 Nebraska. That cost them votes with the AP. Washington mauled a Michigan team that had only lost to Florida State in September.

In fact, Washington played FOUR RANKED OPPONENTS and ONE just out of the Top 25 opponents. FOUR of those were on the road and Washington beat the five foes by an AVERAGE of 31 points. Keep in mind that includes the seven-point win over Cal among the four.

So yes, Sip - I did say that. And not to knock the 1966 team because it wasn't their fault but I think that choosing any team from the nearly all-white era of college football as the all-time great is....well, not the greatest thing I've ever seen.

But hey - to each his own.
In every thread comparing teams, players and coaches across generations is quite frankly a waste of time unless we are killing time in the off season. I do agree with Bill that comparing teams from the all white era to say just the BCS era is folly. I grew up in the all white era at Alabama and as much as I loved the 1961 and 1965 and 1966 teams they could not stay on the field with the 1992, 2011 and 2012 Alabama NC teams. Truthfully you can only compare teams against teams in similar years or perhaps teams in a five year span. UF had great teams in 2008 and 2009, but GOAT, I think not.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
That brings the total sum of people who think that 2008 Florida is the greatest team ever up to 1. Even Jeremy Foley is shaking his head at that.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
In every thread comparing teams, players and coaches across generations is quite frankly a waste of time unless we are killing time in the off season. I do agree with Bill that comparing teams from the all white era to say just the BCS era is folly. I grew up in the all white era at Alabama and as much as I loved the 1961 and 1965 and 1966 teams they could not stay on the field with the 1992, 2011 and 2012 Alabama NC teams. Truthfully you can only compare teams against teams in similar years or perhaps teams in a five year span. UF had great teams in 2008 and 2009, but GOAT, I think not.
I think when you're picking the greatest team of all time, you have no choice but to pick how they performed in their era Gray. Otherwise, if you were ranking the greatest Armed forces of all time, you'd eliminate those brave soldiers of World War 2 because today's Armed forces have better technology. That is no slight at all against our servicemen and women of today. I respect them with all the respect I have to offer. I'm just saying this is one area where I think you have to say, "How good were they in their era?"
sip

swoop10

Hall of Fame
Feb 10, 2001
Valdosta, GA
In Tebow's defense (I can't believe I'm about to defend Tebow) the NFL should have left his throwing mechanics alone. Some guys play better just doing what feels natural. Phillip Rivers is basically completely a sidearmed thrower and he turned out just fine. I think the mechanics stuff got in Tebow's head and messed him up a good deal. Similar to pitchers in Baseball. Too much tinkering with someone's delivery and you have negated their natural ability. Also he was/is a system spread type player and no team ever committed to running that offense with him. The best they did was play a hybrid 50/50 scheme. I'm a Broncos fan so I know unfortunately...lol...or fortunately in that it lead to getting Manning. Tebow never got the opportunity that RGIII, Wilson, and Kaepernick have received in running a similar style offense.
Sorry but you are wrong. Rivers and Kosar, I know you didn't mention him but someone else did, both have wierd throwing motions but they got rid of the ball quickly. Tebow had a wierd, long, and slow throwing motion. In the NFL people are only open for a split second and a QB has to get the ball there. With his old motion he would have to throw and hope. I also thought he doesn't throw a spiral. His balls always have a wobble, which is okay on a non-windy day, but add wind and a his ball is all over the place.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Urban is just giving himself a self-serving pat on the back, but admittedly that '08 Florida team was unbelievably good, and it deserves real consideration in any GOAT discussion. How that team ever lost at home to Jevan Snead-led Ole Miss is probably one of the greatest mysteries of the modern world.
When I read Urban's latest pronouncement, I thought what a truckload of self-serving baloney, but then I remembered who the quote was from...

Which team caused Urban to think he was having a heart attack? Hint . . . it wasn't the '08 Gators. The '09 Crimson Tide made the guy want to quit.
Exactly right. He's not over it yet.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
These are all fantastic posts and certainly give one a lot to think about. If we had a team that had our 2012's offense and our 2011's defense, then that team would be in the top 5 of all time without debate but that's kind of absurd to think about. Top teams I've ever seen (I started watching Bama football during the 78 season)?

1. 2001 The U
2. 1995 Nebraska (Huskers 1994 could be debatable as well)
3. 1991 Washington
4. 1978 Bama
5. 2011 Bama *barely* because our offense that year was slightly suspect (mainly the passing game) but our defense was astronomically good ... still ... if you include this team, you virtually have to include LSU 2011 too.

2009 Bama gets a nod but still not in the GOAT discussion. 08 Gators were a very good team and completely deserved the 'Ship. Tebow was unstoppable after that Ole Miss loss. BUT.......... and beating a dead horse here: Any team that loses to Ole Miss (and at home) is out of the discussion and can never be ... period.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
2005 Texas tends to get a lot of GOAT talk as well but they would not have come close if it weren't for Vince Young carrying the team on his back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Sorry but you are wrong. Rivers and Kosar, I know you didn't mention him but someone else did, both have wierd throwing motions but they got rid of the ball quickly. Tebow had a wierd, long, and slow throwing motion. In the NFL people are only open for a split second and a QB has to get the ball there. With his old motion he would have to throw and hope. I also thought he doesn't throw a spiral. His balls always have a wobble, which is okay on a non-windy day, but add wind and a his ball is all over the place.
It's just my opinion bud. Yes Tebow has a strange and deliberate motion but he dominated HS and College with it and his throws were never 'throw and hope'. He threw passes with mustard on the money. Now the wind you have a very valid point. His passes could be wobbly at times and swirling winds would have affected those greatly. I'm just saying he was extremely successful with his natural motion and you have to admit no team gave him a chance in the system he is comfortable with like RGIII, Wilson, and Kaepernick have had. No team committed to creating the offense around Tebow to maximize his talent. He may have still failed but we will never 100% know for sure unfortunately. I will say he was stubborn in refusing to try another position. He was talented enough he probably could have tried becoming a Recieving threat at the TE position.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.