No more "kinder and gentler"? - RE: NCAA

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Re: No more "kinder and gentler"?

Did he actually admit to accepting money? I know he admitted to soliciting money from MSU, which by the SEC bylaws immediately made him ineligible at MSU and should have made him ineligible at ALL SEC schools from that point forward. But, I didn't realize that Cecil actually admitted that he received money. I thought his stance was that he solicited $180k from MSU, but then had a change of heart and let sCam go to AU for no fee.
Not what I remember...I thought I read somewhere he admitted to getting the money and Cam's "I didn't know" fakery was to the fact of him getting the money, not soliciting it. I could be wrong, as I have tried to forget that whole situation.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

The NCAA is the parent that tells you if you lie it will be worse than if you tell the truth - and then beats you 150 times with the belt instead of 160. Iow -you can't tell any difference since you've got no feeling left.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins

I know most of you are focused on the Barn/Newton saga, but what most people don't realize is that Ohio State got away with basically a tap (not a slap) on the wrist following Tattoo-gate. If that was the only issue OK. However, Jim Tressel as head coach knowing and wilfully signed a statement that all was well in Conker-land despite the fact be was away of the players' tattoo transgressions. That was, without doubt, evidence of institutional failure. They took themselves out of 2 bowl games but didn't lose scholarships for this serious offense and should have been just as severely dealt with as USC west or Penn State.
Actually, OSU didn't take themselves out of a bowl game--the NCAA did that. And in doing so, cost OSU a BCS championship--if they're not under a bowl ban, they play ND for the title, not us.

But yes, they got off pretty lightly.

dadleyblane5

All-SEC
Apr 19, 2011
DeFuniak Springs Fl.

I don't think the point was to argue whether or AU was right or wrong or guilty or not guilty. Once a charge has been levied there are 2 sides and both have the same goal: to win their case. AU took aggressive approach and instead of backing down out of fear from the NCAA, they called every bluff and let the NCAA know that this was going to just escalate as far as they could take it and the NCAA caved. AU won. That was a good legal strategy.
AU had to try and do all they could with the NCAA and I'm quite sure if the (nad-less) NCAA wouldn't have backed off AU would've probably tried to sue them because they know they were guilty as sin....So that was their only way out of it and unfortunatley it worked. I wish the NCAA would've told AU, WE DON'T GIVE A RAT SPIT if AU sues us, we're gonna investigate and apply penalties where we deem necessary, but they chickened out and didn't. And AU benefitted from it. Now all schools will feel they can do the same and follow suit where AU started the trail.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Some of you have apparently forgotten that we tried (in essence) the same thing in 1995 and got drilled with a phony LOIC sanction.

Auburn may have ultimately succeeded as have others but we rammed the gate first. Then we decided the reason we got popped so hard was our aggressiveness, pulled our punches - and still got hammered the second time.
So the Barn was just following our example and got the benefit of the weakening NCAA when they did it. Little brother always looks up to big brother!:biggrin:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.