Former Tennessee DB Janzen Jackson Charged With Murder

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Yea that's what it said in the link that she noticed he was talking to himself and she called authorities and had him checked out. Sounds like Cali is really lacking in the mental help department, that shooter in Santa Barbara was done the same way.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Sounds like Cali is really lacking in the mental help department, that shooter in Santa Barbara was done the same way.
That is basically everywhere, I'm afraid. Really just no way to compel treatment for unwilling individuals, barring an absurd situation. For a typical potential mental health case, provided the person refuses treatment and at least seems relatively "okay" or "normal" -- which is really just a subjective determination made by people with no applicable background or training (typically a beat cop who has just joined the force) -- then that will be the end of it and they'll resume doing whatever they were doing unimpeded.

Finding a solution here is obviously a very difficult thing to do, but it's not hard to see the underlying problem and how easily these things can fester into something gruesome and tragic.

Last edited:

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
That is basically everywhere, I'm afraid. Really just no way to compel treatment for unwilling individuals, barring an absurd situation. For a typical potential mental health case, provided the person refuses treatment and at least seems relatively "okay" or "normal" -- which is really just a subjective determination made by people with no applicable background or training (typically a beat cop who has just joined the force) -- then that will be the end of it and they'll resume doing whatever they were doing unimpeded..
I can personally attest to that. A few months ago I had a friend who checked into a mental health clinic for a short time (long story), and then called others and me with a suicide threat within a week after release. We called 911. The police came, said nothing was wrong, and left us with a mentally distraught, screaming, and extremely angry woman on our hands at about 2:00 in the morning. Unless a person goes into a hospital or is committed through the courts, there is generally nothing that friends/family can do.

Tider@GW_Law

All-American
Sep 16, 2007
Sacramento, CA
That is basically everywhere, I'm afraid. Really just no way to compel treatment for unwilling individuals, barring an absurd situation. For a typical potential mental health case, provided the person refuses treatment and at least seems relatively "okay" or "normal" -- which is really just a subjective determination made by people with no applicable background or training (typically a beat cop who has just joined the force) -- then that will be the end of it and they'll resume doing whatever they were doing unimpeded.

Finding a solution here is obviously a very difficult thing to do, but it's not hard to see the underlying problem and how easily these things can fester into something gruesome and tragic.
Agreed. I will say though that the scarcity of mental and behavioral health providers in particularly California has made things worse here than in many states. Even those that do have fairly significant illnesses and have access to care via insurance are not getting the care they need due to a flood of patients.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.