Link: "Redskins" name denied by U.S. Patent Office.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I won't link it but ESPN.com has an article on this as well. I've read other things this morning that's indicated that this is the beginning of the end for other sports franchises with similar names. That this is a HUGE win for the overly sensitive and controlling.
Does this mean that the deal (money) FSU cut with the Seminole Nation is in jeopardy?

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
The ironic result of this ruling will be to make the Redskins emblem more common, not less common.
Bootleg images will now be legal (if the decision is upheld).

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
Seems like the descendants of George Washington would be the ones upset with the team's name. Who would want that den of thieves bearing the name of one's most famous ancestor?

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Seems like the descendants of George Washington would be the ones upset with the team's name. Who would want that den of thieves bearing the name of one's most famous ancestor?
Washington didn't have any children and thus no descendants. He did adopt Martha's kids from her first marriage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aledinho

All-SEC
Feb 22, 2007
I think Dan Snyder ought to change the mascot from a Native American to a sunburned white guy. That way he gets to keep the name, the natives aren't offended, and by the fourth quarter I'm in full on game paint. Problem. Solved.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
What's really shocking is that I heard that this was done in a 99 page report. Really, 99 pages :eek2: No wonder government employees dont get much done.

Tider@GW_Law

All-American
Sep 16, 2007
Sacramento, CA
I think Dan Snyder ought to change the mascot from a Native American to a sunburned white guy. That way he gets to keep the name, the natives aren't offended, and by the fourth quarter I'm in full on game paint. Problem. Solved.
Not sure if anybody's mentioned it here, but there is a group in DC pushing to change the logo to a basket of potatoes.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I actually have one of those t shirts, and once or twice I have forgotten I was wearing it and went out grocery shopping.
When I was overseas one time, I had a local merchant make me t-shirts with Charles Manson's face (with the little swastika between his beady eyes) and the caption "Celebrate diversity." They are a little bit naughty.
I have to think about it whenever I am wearing one outdoors.

Last edited:

BamaSC

All-SEC
Oct 17, 1999
Chapin, SC
yes. its not that they cant use the name redskins, its just that they do not get patent protections for that name
Doesn't Dan Snyder own the trademark to the name "Washington Redskins" and the logo like any other kind of property? If so, was he not denied due process to in taking away his property? I'm not a lawyer so I don't know, but that's what it seems like to me.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Doesn't Dan Snyder own the trademark to the name "Washington Redskins" and the logo like any other kind of property? If so, was he not denied due process to in taking away his property? I'm not a lawyer so I don't know, but that's what it seems like to me.
he still owns the name, he just no longer has patent protection over it.

there was a hearing in the patent office. from what i gather, they do not allow patents on things that are deemed offensive and/or disparaging (not sure of the exact terminology) and the decision was that the redskins name fell under that classification.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.