*** QB Blake Barnett Commits to Alabama ***

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Think about it. If we allowed a different thread to be started every time the news turned one way or the other regarding one particular recruit, you would be faced with a number of threads about one recruit and you'd have to check each and every one out. When there's only one thread about each recruit, all you have to do is check back to the last time you checked the board, back up till then and catch up. (Assuming you know the last time you checked in; if you don't, then you just lost your right to complain...) :D
This, along with many other things, is what makes this the best Bama board on the internet. Easy to find information that you are looking for..

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I see that Rivals took away his 5th star. For those who watched the game, do you see the same problems they did with him as a pocket passer? How do you see his potential in that department? How soon do you think he can develop those skills if they are indeed raw?
He won the Elite 11 competition handily - it wasn't close at any point. Downgrading him now seems stupid unless every QB is a 4 star or lower. I get that some may have improved over the course of their senior season, but not enough to pass him unless he regressed. I guess that is possible, but doubtful.

JMO, but other than 247, these services are totally bogus. They tend to have different customers and their rankings tend to play to their customers. Also, a recruit can go from unrated to a 4 or 5 star just because they commit to a big school - overnight. No time for research - just a bump for committing to a big school. That proves that the offers and commitments drive their rankings more than research. Totally bogus.

Harmost

All-American
Sep 19, 2005
He won the Elite 11 competition handily - it wasn't close at any point. Downgrading him now seems stupid unless every QB is a 4 star or lower. I get that some may have improved over the course of their senior season, but not enough to pass him unless he regressed. I guess that is possible, but doubtful.

JMO, but other than 247, these services are totally bogus. They tend to have different customers and their rankings tend to play to their customers. Also, a recruit can go from unrated to a 4 or 5 star just because they commit to a big school - overnight. No time for research - just a bump for committing to a big school. That proves that the offers and commitments drive their rankings more than research. Totally bogus.
Agree with most of that, although I'm not sure what makes 247 any less bogus. Having said that though, a lot of the criticisms in that link are spot on. Even watching his highlights, you have to like that he's athletic and has some projectible tools to really like him as a QB prospect -- there isn't much else that'll do any convincing.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Agree with most of that, although I'm not sure what makes 247 any less bogus. Having said that though, a lot of the criticisms in that link are spot on. Even watching his highlights, you have to like that he's athletic and has some projectible tools to really like him as a QB prospect -- there isn't much else that'll do any convincing.
247 does their own rating and then they have a composite rating which takes in all the major services ratings which makes it a better service in my opinion. I don't think the others are bogus but the ratings do vary and sometimes dramatically. I think Scout is the worst and 247 and ESPN are the top 2.

crimsonseal12

3rd Team
Aug 10, 2011
Gulfport, Ms
CNS does his own evaluation, and so far he has done ok (now that's an understatement if there has ever been one). So I will trust his judgment. I don't really care how all the services rank our class or if we finish number one in the recruiting rankings. Since 2007 the team on the field has done pretty good. ROLLTIDE!

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
CNS does his own evaluation, and so far he has done ok (now that's an understatement if there has ever been one). So I will trust his judgment. I don't really care how all the services rank our class or if we finish number one in the recruiting rankings. Since 2007 the team on the field has done pretty good. ROLLTIDE!
Just wondering, how many underated like 3 stars has Sabsn developed into all stars.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
So Rivals knocks Blake down to a 4*, and 247 has this to say about him:

Highest ceiling – Blake Barnett

Barnett’s arm talent is elite, he is one of the biggest quarterbacks in this class, he is one of the fastest quarterbacks in this class and he’s an early enrollee in Tuscaloosa. He may not be the first in this class to start but he may have a higher ceiling than anyone based on raw ability.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
If there's a crack in the wall, however, it has been at QB where most of CNS' signings -- Fanuzzi, Sims, Jackson, Bateman -- did not or have not had the predicted impact. Bateman is still in play. Cornwell? We'll know something soon. At the very least, the critical commentary on BB gives us another appraisal to consider before spring practice begins. Often, we expect way too much, way too early from the young QBs.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Just wondering, how many underated like 3 stars has Sabsn developed into all stars.
I went by Rivals' rankings back to the 2004 class for guys that were already on campus when CNS arrived. Here's a list of guys ranked 3 star or worse that seemed to have an impact under Saban:

Antoine Caldwell
Travis McCall
DJ Hall (only played for Saban in 2007 and was already good when CNS arrived)
Rashad Johnson (was a walk-on at RB)

Glen Coffee
Bobby Greenwood
Brandon Deaderick
Cory Reamer

Javier Arenas

Josh Chapman
William Vlachos

Marcel Dareus
Terrence Cody
Damion Square

Chance Warmack
Anthony Steen

Ryan Kelly

Alphonse Taylor

Eddie Jackson

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.