*** QB Blake Barnett Commits to Alabama ***

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I think Cornwell is going to be the guy BB is going to have to surpass for the starting job.
Cornwell has a long way to go to be "the guy". I think he has a lot of potential, but then again I thought Phillip Sims did as well. That's the value of having another guy like Blake around. It could be just like AJ and Phillip, if Coker has a great season. But, it's far, far too early to know who could win that battle.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
first off, let me start off by saying Bama just got a Huge Commitment from BB. secondly, I firmly believe he will stick with his commitment , his family were completely blown away when they came to Tuscaloosa for their visit. they know in their hearts , BB will get the proper coaching and development once he arrives. lastly, some Scouts think he is athletic enough to play WR, think about that for a moment. ;)
That's good to hear coming from you in Cali SJC. About the scouts comments he could play WR, I can totally believe it after seeing his tape. Kid is incredibly athletic. He is highly rated now but after his senior season he may be rated even higher.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Those wanting to discuss Barnett's waiting time and saying Cornwell is the man after Coker leaves (whether it be Coker starts the next two years or next season) need to remember this time last year many thought Bateman would be the man. That has not been the case, yet. However, CNS now mentions him when discussing the QB battle. Let's not make Cornwell the next guy without him actually getting reps.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Those wanting to discuss Barnett's waiting time and saying Cornwell is the man after Coker leaves (whether it be Coker starts the next two years or next season) need to remember this time last year many thought Bateman would be the man. That has not been the case, yet. However, CNS now mentions him when discussing the QB battle. Let's not make Cornwell the next guy without him actually getting reps.
Agreed. Not one of us has even seen Cornwell take a snap. It's always going to be the new guy but experience and knowledge is huge in a Saban QB.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
Even though he's running the spread in high school, he will be better prepared to play at the next level by learning the pro system too.
This is great news! Welcome Blake and Roll Tide!

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
Just heard a very good interview with Blake Barnett by Ryan Fowler on Tide 99.1 fm. He seems to be a well spoken young man....very excited about coming to Bama. He considers himself to be more of a drop-back passer who can extend plays rather than a dual-threat or run-first quarterback. He thought very highly of Saban and Kiffin.

narddogg81

BamaNation Citizen
Mar 18, 2012
Actually I could see him earning a shot early on, Bateman has not panned out like most thought (and myself) and after Coker is gone he would be a RS-F in an open QB battle more than likely so it's not like he will be sitting for 3 years with no shot. By then I'd imagine Bateman would be in the Alec Morris boat if he doesn't improve.
um, how exactly has bateman not panned out? he redshirted last year, and then played way better than all the other qbs in the spring game, the only time we have seen him do anything. did you expect him to beat out aj maccarron as as true freshman?

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
um, how exactly has bateman not panned out? he redshirted last year, and then played way better than all the other qbs in the spring game, the only time we have seen him do anything. did you expect him to beat out aj maccarron as as true freshman?
Ummm Blake Sims has him beat out, a QB turned RB and now QB again. You don't expect that it of a big time QB. Even with us taking more QB's each year tells you what Coach Saban thinks about our depth.

Sent from my Verizon LG G2 4G

Philippines

Scout Team
Feb 9, 2014
Birmingham, AL
Great first impression made by BB in the interviews and highlights. Well spoken and confident. Shows good quick moves in pocket, sees field well, nice long throws on the move, also saw some nifty touch passes.
The running ability is just icing on the cake:smile:.

narddogg81

BamaNation Citizen
Mar 18, 2012
Ummm Blake Sims has him beat out, a QB turned RB and now QB again. You don't expect that it of a big time QB. Even with us taking more QB's each year tells you what Coach Saban thinks about our depth.

Sent from my Verizon LG G2 4G
you think cooper hasnt panned out becasue sims, who is a 5th year senior and was also a 4 star qb out of hs, is ahead a RS freshman in the spring. do we even know if sims is still ahead of cooper after the spring? we do not.

Last edited by a moderator:

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
It would definitely be wise not to count Oregon out here. I just watched the kid's So. and Jr. Highlights and he's an absolute Clone of Marcus Mariotta. He could play his entire career in a familiar system there while we don't run that offense at all. Even if we start using some of that style system who really thinks CLK will stay here as OC for the next 4-5 years?

Super Talented kid for sure but he doesn't really fit what we do and he'd never be allowed to run around like that. I dunno we'll see what happens. I still have Cornwell as our Future guy at QB. It never hurts to get as many high caliber QB's as possible though.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
I think we'd be better served if this thread stayed focused on the good news of Blake opting to play for the Tide. To that end, welcome aboard, we look forward to your arrival.

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
I think we'd be better served if this thread stayed focused on the good news of Blake opting to play for the Tide. To that end, welcome aboard, we look forward to your arrival.
I certainly agree with you and that can be accomplished without profanity.Especially that particular one which is unacceptable in my book. That being said is enough and I will say no more. Congrats to Blake and I look foward to seeing him in crimson.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.