*** QB Blake Barnett Commits to Alabama ***

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I think we'd be better served if this thread stayed focused on the good news of Blake opting to play for the Tide. To that end, welcome aboard, we look forward to your arrival.
I agree, RTR! Huge pick up in what seemed like a down year for us recruiting wise when it came to the QB's. Cha-Ching!!!!

Sent from my Verizon LG G2 4G

bobmack12champs

1st Team
Mar 1, 2001
Florence, Al. USA
I hope he's not reading this thread.....just committed a few hours ago and already we're placing him in the category that his verbal doesn't mean much. I'm rolling with him until he proves otherwise!

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
I hope he's not reading this thread.....just committed a few hours ago and already we're placing him in the category that his verbal doesn't mean much. I'm rolling with him until he proves otherwise!
Unfortunately the thread devolved for a brief bit and a debate from spring entered the thread.

Barnett is an incredible talent. I hope we hold onto him; Oregon will be a threat until December just because of proximity and their offensive style. Very glad he came on board!! I'm sure the coaches will start giving him the number for Charlot to keep him on board.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I think Oregon's grip on certain athletes will start slipping and this is a prime case (if it holds). Just not sure their coach can keep it together without Kelly.

Sent from my Verizon LG G2 4G

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
you think cooper hasnt panned out becasue sims, who is a 5th year senior and was also a 4 star qb out of hs, is ahead a RS freshman in the spring. do we even know if sims is still ahead of cooper after the spring? we do not.

I don't disagree with your sentiments regarding Bateman.

Last edited by a moderator:

drsmithofga

1st Team
Dec 7, 2004
It would definitely be wise not to count Oregon out here. I just watched the kid's So. and Jr. Highlights and he's an absolute Clone of Marcus Mariotta. He could play his entire career in a familiar system there while we don't run that offense at all. Even if we start using some of that style system who really thinks CLK will stay here as OC for the next 4-5 years?

Super Talented kid for sure but he doesn't really fit what we do and he'd never be allowed to run around like that. I dunno we'll see what happens. I still have Cornwell as our Future guy at QB. It never hurts to get as many high caliber QB's as possible though.
Just heard a radio interview with Barnett, and I don't think I've ever heard someone more solid in his commitment. Said he didn't like being called a spread QB. During his recent three day trip to T-town, his father said he was hoping his son would pick Alabama after the first day. A very well spoken young man, too.

HITIDE

1st Team
Jul 6, 2003
TRINITY, AL., USA
It would definitely be wise not to count Oregon out here. I just watched the kid's So. and Jr. Highlights and he's an absolute Clone of Marcus Mariotta. He could play his entire career in a familiar system there while we don't run that offense at all. Even if we start using some of that style system who really thinks CLK will stay here as OC for the next 4-5 years?

Super Talented kid for sure but he doesn't really fit what we do and he'd never be allowed to run around like that. I dunno we'll see what happens. I still have Cornwell as our Future guy at QB. It never hurts to get as many high caliber QB's as possible though.
Blake said he likes the offensive system CLK is implementing at Bama. There is a good chance he figures the Bama offense, CNS and CLK will better prepare him for the next level.
His parents loved Bama, his dad was hoping he would commit to Bama after the 1st day there.
I have a good feeling about this kids commitment. The remaining time before NSD will simply allow him time to help recruit more top 100 talent to Bama.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Yes! I watched his video a couple of weeks ago and was VERY impressed. I really wanted this guy. This is really exciting. He just oozes "playmaker."

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
Love this commitment. Looks to be very talented, and the interview after his commitment is equally impressive.

Welcome aboard, Blake. You've got the Bama nation buzzing!

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
Awesome! Welcome Blake.

How lucky are we to have talent like Barnett, Bateman, Coker, Cornwell, Morris AND Sims competing at QB? I don't care who y'are that's a lot of talent right there.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Kiffin won't be around by the time Barnett is competing for a starting job.
Possible, but folks didn't really expect Kirby to still be on staff. Also, we don't know who transfers or just decides to quit playing football. Barnett may compete for the starting job in January, 2016, which would be Kiffin going into his third season. That's not an impossible scenario.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Possible, but folks didn't really expect Kirby to still be on staff. Also, we don't know who transfers or just decides to quit playing football. Barnett may compete for the starting job in January, 2016, which would be Kiffin going into his third season. That's not an impossible scenario.
I look at it like this: CLK wants to be a HC again. If he does a great job as OC for us he will be here no longer than 2 years because someone will give him a HC opportunity. If he doesn't do exceptionally well as OC then maybe he's not a good fit to even use Barnett effectively and maybe we encourage CLK to move on like Nuss. Good results or Bad results CLK will be here 2 years....3 years MAX.

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN
*sighs* Why is it that if a quarterback has the ability to run, people assume he's incapable of standing in a pocket? If a kid has the brain, the footwork, and the arm to be a pro-style quarterback and he happens to be a freak athlete, that does not mean he can only play in a spread offense. It means he can be EVEN BETTER as a pro-style quarterback than a guy with no mobility. If he's got the arm and the smarts, he's a PERFECT fit for our offense!

And if he can be a star for us, his mobility and experience in a pro set will probably improve his draft stock more than working in a HUNH spread offense.

/rant

Oh, and everyone lay off our current QBs... all of them. We simply don't know how good each of them could be. No sense in throwing one under a bus when another isn't a sure thing. Don't count your chickens before they've hatched.

/second rant

Last edited:

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
*sighs* Why is it that if a quarterback has the ability to run, people assume he's incapable of standing in a pocket? If a kid has the brain, the footwork, and the arm to be a pro-style quarterback and he happens to be a freak athlete, that does not mean he can only play in a spread offense. It means he can be EVEN BETTER as a pro-style quarterback than a guy with no mobility. If he's got the arm and the smarts, he's a PERFECT fit for our offense!
Agreed. People forget how well Joe Willie could run before he ruined his knees. Ol' Snake wasn't bad either.

ontopp

All-SEC
Jan 31, 2004
Decatur.Alabama
I like the way people think a kid is only in it for football, He also mentioned more than football as why he made the decision to come here.I may be wrong but didn't he talk like the family was moving here as well,correct me if I'm wrong.
RTR Blake

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.