*** QB Blake Barnett Commits to Alabama ***

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Wasn't he categorized as a dual threat before?

At one time, yes he was classified as a dual threat. I think he did some lobbying to actually be swapped over at times, as he didn't want to be thought of as just another dual threat guy. He has good wheels though, and can add a lot with that aspect.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
At one time, yes he was classified as a dual threat. I think he did some lobbying to actually be swapped over at times, as he didn't want to be thought of as just another dual threat guy. He has good wheels though, and can add a lot with that aspect.
He is not Blake Sims type quick but has really good straight line speed once he gets going. Will add a threat to take off. I have said he reminds me of Capernick with the 49ers.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I hope he has a great spring. I don't expect a true freshman to start, but I could see him really pushing for the job in 2016. We have some guys on campus now with some real arm talent. We also have very solid backs, receivers, and linemen. We should have very solid offenses the next few years. If our defense and special teams are solid, we might just compete for a few championships. :)

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Yep my hope is that he is good enough to get some mop up duty to learn behind Coker next year. That way as a Sophomore he might be ready. Of course I will say the same for Cornwell or any other young QB we have. I think someone has to learn behind Coker and if he plays every snap next year we could be in trouble for '16.

Last edited:

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Yup..I wish the back-up QB gets meaningful snaps during games to learn the speed of the game..You just don't know the speed of the game until you play in an SEC game..Who was it that allowed the back-up QB to come in on the 3rd series in each game no matter the situation..I know a HC used to do that & would love to see that happen..It allows our back-up to get real PT in games as the season goes on & allows him to get experience should the starter get hurt..
Yep my hope is that he is good enough to get some mop up duty to learn behind Coker next year. That way as a Sophomore he might could be ready. Of course I will say the same for Cornwell or any other young QB we have. I think someone has to learn behind Coker and if he plays every snap next year we could be in trouble for '16.

Silverback

1st Team
Oct 5, 2010
Oak Grove
I ran into him at the UK Bball game. He is a good sized young man and seemed really nice and humble. He stooped to take pictures with kids. I was impressed by his size. All in all he seems as though he will represent us well.

Bamabirdie

Scout Team
Dec 24, 2013
Sunny South Florida
Yup..I wish the back-up QB gets meaningful snaps during games to learn the speed of the game..You just don't know the speed of the game until you play in an SEC game..Who was it that allowed the back-up QB to come in on the 3rd series in each game no matter the situation..I know a HC used to do that & would love to see that happen..It allows our back-up to get real PT in games as the season goes on & allows him to get experience should the starter get hurt..
It was Jackie Sherrill at MSU. I have a friend who played for him, and he's mentioned this to me when we've talked about how Bama never seems to fully prep the backups.
I'm glad you brought this into the discussion. None of us coach football, but some of us are managers. As one, I've never understood the idea behind not giving as much meaningful game experience as possible to the guys you might have to count on in the event of an injury, suspension, etc. A QB who comes in to hand the ball off, or take a knee, at the end of an out-of-reach game can't possibly be ready to play under pressure. Worse than that, anybody remember Brody Croyle getting separated from his knee when we were up on W Carolina 31-7? Too bad the backup wasn't in there getting game experience.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
It's the espn era we live in. Playing time means stats. Stats win awards. You can't preach patience to young men, or the fact that less wear and tear on your body in college will mean a longer career in the nfl. So you play the guys as much as you can so they will stay in school.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
It's the espn era we live in. Playing time means stats. Stats win awards. You can't preach patience to young men, or the fact that less wear and tear on your body in college will mean a longer career in the nfl. So you play the guys as much as you can so they will stay in school.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
That is not the reason Saban doesn't play backup QBs more often. Not even close.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
That is not the reason Saban doesn't play backup QBs more often. Not even close.
Were you hear for Trent Richardson's recruitment? He seriously wanted the number three, so Saban made it happen. If you think he's above bending to these guys just a little you are wrong.

I look forward to your opinion on why Saban doesn't give his back ups playing time at the quarterback position.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Were you hear for Trent Richardson's recruitment? He seriously wanted the number three, so Saban made it happen. If you think he's above bending to these guys just a little you are wrong.

I look forward to your opinion on why Saban doesn't give his back ups playing time at the quarterback position.
------------------

Perhaps it's because he comes from a pro background, where the backups almost never play.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

I loved watching A Football Life-Jimmy Johnson where he said you make an example out of your third string center. Not your star running back.

"If my third string center falls asleep in a meeting you cut him. If Emmett Smith falls asleep in a meeting you wake him up."

LOL!

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

------------------

Perhaps it's because he comes from a pro background, where the backups almost never play.
I think the real answer is ball security. The qb is the only player (other than the center) to touch the ball every play.

FWIW, I'd love to see the back up get more pt...especially if Coker is the starter next year.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I loved watching A Football Life-Jimmy Johnson where he said you make an example out of your third string center. Not your star running back.

"If my third string center falls asleep in a meeting you cut him. If Emmett Smith falls asleep in a meeting you wake him up."

LOL!
I love that quote.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I understand we want the back up to get some playing time... but I'm skeptical of that, because I don't want our back up to get hurt. Look at Miller, Barnett getting injured in the games this season, and how Jones stepped in for those two with limited or no experience.... I don't want our back up QBs to spend so much time in the game after the game is over by 20 30 points... because I want our starting qb to get experience in every situation we can think of. Look at LSU and Texas A and M Qbs.. and then look at OSU.. I think it depends on sitaution on each team.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I understand we want the back up to get some playing time... but I'm skeptical of that, because I don't want our back up to get hurt. Look at Miller, Barnett getting injured in the games this season, and how Jones stepped in for those two with limited or no experience.... I don't want our back up QBs to spend so much time in the game after the game is over by 20 30 points... because I want our starting qb to get experience in every situation we can think of. Look at LSU and Texas A and M Qbs.. and then look at OSU.. I think it depends on sitaution on each team.
So you want our starter to play in the same situation you fear the backup getting injured in? That makes no sense.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.