*** QB Blake Barnett Commits to Alabama ***

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
The way I look at it, Our back up Qbs are insurance.. in case something happens to starting QB... and our back up has to be ready to play in the game. I would never want injuries to happen to any QBs, no matter what their role is... the thing is, If we're up by 21 points, and it's early in 3rd quarter... score is 21-3. We put in our back up Qb, and he get hurt immediately on next play. What do we do? We put back our Starting QBs in the game? or go to the next back up Qbs? I would rather bring our back qbs in slowly over the years until the starting QBs leave and they can step in with confidence knowing they can get the job done.
So you want our starter to play in the same situation you fear the backup getting injured in? That makes no sense.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I understand we want the back up to get some playing time... but I'm skeptical of that, because I don't want our back up to get hurt. Look at Miller, Barnett getting injured in the games this season, and how Jones stepped in for those two with limited or no experience.... I don't want our back up QBs to spend so much time in the game after the game is over by 20 30 points... because I want our starting qb to get experience in every situation we can think of. Look at LSU and Texas A and M Qbs.. and then look at OSU.. I think it depends on sitaution on each team.
Let me count the reasons I disagree:

1. Brodie Croyle and the Western Carolina blowout argue otherwise.
2. Tyrone Prothro and the UF blowout also say hello.

Why would you prefer the backup not get hurt if it keeps the starter healthy? That's really the perfered choice and one of the reasons backups SHOULD play in blowout situations.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
Let me count the reasons I disagree:

1. Brodie Croyle and the Western Carolina blowout argue otherwise.
2. Tyrone Prothro and the UF blowout also say hello.

Why would you prefer the backup not get hurt if it keeps the starter healthy? That's really the perfered choice and one of the reasons backups SHOULD play in blowout situations.

It's been a while but Brodie needed reps and seems like it was early in the game on a non-contact play. It's hard for me to remember.

I still believe Prothro was playing on an injured shin that happened earlier in the game and trying to play through it, but it's not like we were running him across the middle for a safety to knock him silly. I believe Prothro was having a good game and wanted to play.
We never had the depth during the Shula years we have now.

If injuries were predictable coaches would always pull the player before he was hurt.

Wasn't Cam Robinson hurt against E Carolina this year? That team seemed to play dirty.

While we will never know if Drake doesn't get hurt we may have beaten Ole Miss, and on the flip side auburn would have probably lost if Ole Miss's receiver doesn't get hurt at the goal line.

I hate when a player goes down but I rarely blame the coach.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
It's been a while but Brodie needed reps and seems like it was early in the game on a non-contact play. It's hard for me to remember.

I still believe Prothro was playing on an injured shin that happened earlier in the game and trying to play through it, but it's not like we were running him across the middle for a safety to knock him silly. I believe Prothro was having a good game and wanted to play.
We never had the depth during the Shula years we have now.

If injuries were predictable coaches would always pull the player before he was hurt.

Wasn't Cam Robinson hurt against E Carolina this year? That team seemed to play dirty.

While we will never know if Drake doesn't get hurt we may have beaten Ole Miss, and on the flip side auburn would have probably lost if Ole Miss's receiver doesn't get hurt at the goal line.

I hate when a player goes down but I rarely blame the coach.
I think with BC we had like a 42-7 lead...he was clearly the #1 qb and shouldn't have been in the game. What does it matter if it was non-cantact?

Yes, TP had taken a shot earlier in the game to his shin on a punt return IIRC, but the point is was in the game way too late in a blowout. Perhaps the medical staff would have found the hairline crack and he might have missed a few games but his career wouldn't have ended that day.

BamaFanatJSU

1st Team
Apr 24, 2008
Rainbow City, AL
I think with BC we had like a 42-7 lead...he was clearly the #1 qb and shouldn't have been in the game. What does it matter if it was non-cantact?
I'm not condoning leaving Brodie in at that particular point (though we trotted Sims out a few times this year for a series or two in the 2nd half despite commanding leads). However, the very nature of a non-contact injury to something like an ACL implies that the ligament had been weakening substantially on its own independent of some violent action that tears it. Therefore, it's reasonable to suspect that the injury would have happened rather soon anyway, whether it was at the next practice, the next game, or even slipping while getting out of the shower. Either way, that knee was a time bomb, but because it happened against a D-IAA team, we now freak and scream "Get the starters out!" every time we get a lead.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL

Yes, TP had taken a shot earlier in the game to his shin on a punt return IIRC, but the point is was in the game way too late in a blowout. Perhaps the medical staff would have found the hairline crack and he might have missed a few games but his career wouldn't have ended that day.
IIRC the Prothro injury was also on 4th down and Shula went for the throat against the Gators. It was clearly his fault, Prothro should not have been in that position.

Bamabirdie

Scout Team
Dec 24, 2013
Sunny South Florida
Does Brody still have eligibility? :) Ahhhh of course not...

Let's stay on topic, gents (and ladies).
Fair enough. The original point, and it's just a fan's opinion, was that leaving starters in for way too long not only risks injury, it prevents the backups from getting meaningful game experience. So, not only are they not as ready/experienced as they could be for the next season, they are also less prepared than they could be when critical injuries to starters occur.
it just doesn't seem like the best way to "optimize the resources."

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Just to set a few things clear (Sorry Mack) before I get back on point, I was at the game where BC got injured.

We were up 31-0 at the half, and he came out to run the 1st drive of the second half. That is fairly standard operating procedure for a lot of coaches. You give the first team one last drive to open the second half, and then you yank them. The injury occurred when he ran out of bounds on the west sideline, avoiding any kind of contact, and just planted awkwardly. It would have happened at some point no matter what in all honesty because a non-contact ACL tear is representative of either an already partially torn ACL or one that is on the verge of tearing.

As for how it relates to the topic of Blake Barnett, unless he comes in and blows three other QB's out of the water (Coker, Cornwell, Bateman) then the ONLY game time I want to see him play is A-Day. Unless he is the #1 or #2 guy...heck, even if he is #2 (barring inury) I want him RS and learning under CLK this year.

I think one thing people fail to realize is that in the case we are playing a cupcake and get a big lead, we typically are running some of the offensive schemes we would likely be using against our next opponent (as they don't vary too much week to week). It's used as a practice, and you can't have too many reps. So that's why you often see us running our normal offense (throws and all) until LATE in the game. Now, at some point you HAVE to pull out your guys just so you don't look like your trying to run up the score (whether you are or not)...but until then, I'll let CNS prepare whatever way he sees fit. ;)

Gallowglas

All-SEC
Jan 6, 2008
Hendersonville, TN
I see that Rivals took away his 5th star. For those who watched the game, do you see the same problems they did with him as a pocket passer? How do you see his potential in that department? How soon do you think he can develop those skills if they are indeed raw?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I see that Rivals took away his 5th star. For those who watched the game, do you see the same problems they did with him as a pocket passer? How do you see his potential in that department? How soon do you think he can develop those skills if they are indeed raw?
Do you have a link to the critique of his abilities? I dug around for it on Rivals, but I couldn't find it. However, I don't have a paid subscription there...

Gallowglas

All-SEC
Jan 6, 2008
Hendersonville, TN
They said he had a great senior year but had a bad week of practice so they downgraded him. Makes sense..
Right, but they also said:

Barnett isn't a pocket passer, we know that much and knew that going into Under Armour.
Barnett still has a long and protracted release and the ball just doesn't come out all that quickly. That could be an issue in the SEC.
I just wondered where he stands developmentally and potentially as a pocket passer relative to his peers. Is it one of those cases where it's typical rookie deficiencies that can easily be ironed out with some mentorship by the coaching staff, or is it one of those cases where he's just likely to be a better dual-threat QB than a pro-style QB? I guess I just wonder whether he might be one of those guys who you can plug into any offensive scheme and watch him excel, or is he one of those players who we'll need to tool our offense to support in a specific scheme.

Ultimately, I just haven't seen more than a few clips of his gameplay, so I'm curious what others who have seen more think.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Let's play conspiracy theory and say they dropped two Alabama five stars so USC would pass them in the rankings.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
don't mean any harm here, but why are threads started as if it were fresh recruiting news. Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm just curious.
Roll Tide till I'm starring up at the lid!
Think about it. If we allowed a different thread to be started every time the news turned one way or the other regarding one particular recruit, you would be faced with a number of threads about one recruit and you'd have to check each and every one out. When there's only one thread about each recruit, all you have to do is check back to the last time you checked the board, back up till then and catch up. (Assuming you know the last time you checked in; if you don't, then you just lost your right to complain...) :D

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.