*** QB Blake Barnett Commits to Alabama ***

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Wow, very big news here, and very refreshing for Alabama fans. To be sure, this is a far better talent than I ever expected us to land at QB in 2015 with Coker, Bateman, and Cornwell on campus. This kid has all of the physical tools, and he is by no means a long-term developmental project that we are taking a flyer on (like, for example, Fanuzzi, Ely, McLeod, etc.). Very big pick-up here.

Real question: Can we keep him? Barnett plans to enroll early, but even so that still means we have to hang onto him for another 6+ months, and it a verbal commitment certainly doesn't change the fact that 2,000 miles still separates Corona and Tuscaloosa. The previous de-commitment from Notre Dame a few weeks ago also gives pause for concern. At the very least, expect that the staff will continue to recruit him non-stop, verbal commitment to us or no.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Wow, very big news here, and very refreshing for Alabama fans. To be sure, this is a far better talent than I ever expected us to land at QB in 2015 with Coker, Bateman, and Cornwell on campus. This kid has all of the physical tools, and he is by no means a long-term developmental project that we are taking a flyer on (like, for example, Fanuzzi, Ely, McLeod, etc.). Very big pick-up here.

Real question: Can we keep him? Barnett plans to enroll early, but even so that still means we have to hang onto him for another 6+ months, and it a verbal commitment certainly doesn't change the fact that 2,000 miles still separates Corona and Tuscaloosa. The previous de-commitment from Notre Dame a few weeks ago also gives pause for concern. At the very least, expect that the staff will continue to recruit him non-stop, verbal commitment to us or no.
Hope he stays, but I agree on the issue of keeping him, BET. For a lot of reasons, it's just hard to pull a top prospect from that far away.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Not complaining but as BET said I think it may be hard to hang onto him. If we do it will be a log jam at QB again next year *if* Coker, Cornwell, and Bateman are still with us. Seems like BB wouldn't see much playing time for a few years. Never no what could happen injury or transfer wise though.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
At this point I expected us to not have a QB commit in this class to be honest. The flirtations by a couple of guys (Barnett included) seemed like just that to me. Very surprised, and very excited. As everyone else has said, it is a long time to signing day...let's hope we hold him!

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Actually I could see him earning a shot early on, Bateman has not panned out like most thought (and myself) and after Coker is gone he would be a RS-F in an open QB battle more than likely so it's not like he will be sitting for 3 years with no shot. By then I'd imagine Bateman would be in the Alec Morris boat if he doesn't improve.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Actually I could see him earning a shot early on, Bateman has not panned out like most thought (and myself) and after Coker is gone he would be a RS-F in an open QB battle more than likely so it's not like he will be sitting for 3 years with no shot. By then I'd imagine Bateman would be in the Alec Morris boat if he doesn't improve.
I think Cornwell is going to be the guy BB is going to have to surpass for the starting job.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I think Cornwell is going to be the guy BB is going to have to surpass for the starting job.
I have no doubt in that, I lumped him in the "QB battle" category. I was just pointing out that Barnett wont be an after thought for most of his career, that he would have a shot earlier than most think.

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville
Welcome aboard BB!! Anyone with BB initials must be a top notch, quality guy. ;)
I'm really excited about the fact he is a DT QB also. I think keeping a DT QB on the roster at least keeps the zone read offense alive and forces the opponents to prepare at least a little for it. This guy reminds me a lot of Jeff Driskell. I know Driskell hasn't looked dominant, but lets just see how he does this year.
I think BB will also really help us in our recruiting efforts with some top notch WR's, RB's, and OL. Too bad we only have maybe 6 more slots to fill.
It has become a huge trend for Qb's to enroll early. Wonder what % of Qb's enroll early over the past 2 seasons?

FriendlyIrish

3rd Team
Nov 22, 2012
Wow. Big pickup. Only team I would be worried about is Oregon. You will also have to battle Justin Hopkins from 247 and his incessant pandering to Barnett going to Oregon.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Actually I could see him earning a shot early on, Bateman has not panned out like most thought (and myself) ...
Had you said that six months ago I would have certainly agreed with you, but in fairness to Bateman he had a pretty strong spring and made a lot of progress. He still has a ways to go, of course, but with the progress he made this spring I think he still has to be considered a real contender in 2016 and beyond.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Al.com talked to his high school coach after he announced. Link

Blake Barnett runs a spread, no-huddle offense at Santiago High School in Corona, Calif., but he's well-prepared for Alabama's pro-style attack.

Barnett committed to Alabama on Wednesday over several national programs, including his No. 2 choice of Oregon. The sky is the limit for the 6-foot-3, 190-pound Barnett, his high school head coach said.

"When you look at some of the athletes that have transitioned from one to the other, from the passing game I think he's ahead of a lot of other guys," Santiago High School head coach Jeff Steinberg told AL.com shortly after Barnett committed to Alabama. "You've got to have an understanding of what he's seeing in front of him in terms of fronts and coverages. I think he's a little ahead in terms of understanding defenses, which would help any kid no matter what kind of offense they came from."

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.