Apt. makes man take down US flag as it offended muslims

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
I live fairly close to this area (about 5 miles north of me) and the apartment manager has no common sense or pulse of the community. It is a very conservative area in Clear Lake, Friendswood, and League City (the areas right around Webster). I'd bet some folks will move out of the complex or boycott because of this.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I live fairly close to this area (about 5 miles north of me) and the apartment manager has no common sense or pulse of the community. It is a very conservative area in Clear Lake, Friendswood, and League City (the areas right around Webster). I'd bet some folks will move out of the complex or boycott because of this.
I used to live in Clear Lake and work in a factory in League City. (I was one of only two gringos in the factory.) I believe you are right about the tenor of that area.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I wonder what the apartment would have said if he hung a gay pride flag and someone complained.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
The apartment manager's explanation is total bs. You can't tell a tenant that he has to take his flag down because it offends muslims, then try to back that up with this:
While the Lodge on El Dorado admires our resident's patriotism, we must enforce our property rules and guidelines. Such guidelines maintain the aesthetics of our apartment community and provide for the safety of all residents.
One has absolutely nothing to do with the other.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
This should be pretty clear - what is in the rental agreement? In the apartment complex my family owns it lists what you can and cannot do. Unfortunately you have to get pretty specific about banning nearly everything because people will start displaying offensive banners, piling garbage on their balcony or outside their front door, use the balcony railing to dry laundry, have satellite dishes anchored into the roof of the building (causes leaks during rains), use the parking lot to keep disabled cars, etc.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
This should be pretty clear - what is in the rental agreement? In the apartment complex my family owns it lists what you can and cannot do. Unfortunately you have to get pretty specific about banning nearly everything because people will start displaying offensive banners, piling garbage on their balcony or outside their front door, use the balcony railing to dry laundry, have satellite dishes anchored into the roof of the building (causes leaks during rains), etc.
I just never knew an American flag was offensive. You know my take on it, if it offends you, leave our country.

Last edited:

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
I just never new an American flag was offensive. You know my take on it, if it offends you, leave our country.
The American flag is not offensive, but what if a tenant started flying the Mexican flag or a Muslim Brotherhood flag from your property? I don't think you - or a lot of other tenants - would like it. It's easier just to prohibit the hanging of all items from the balcony. As a landlord I only want to collect rent from my tenants. I don't want to spend any time splitting hairs on how they decorate my property.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
The American flag is not offensive, but what if a tenant started flying the Mexican flag or a Muslim Brotherhood flag from your property? I don't think you - or a lot of other tenants - would like it. It's easier just to prohibit the hanging of all items from the balcony. As a landlord I only want to collect rent from my tenants. I don't want to spend any time splitting hairs on how they decorate my property.
Maybe limit flag flying to country/state and sports team flags. And by country/state I mean that which you reside (US & Texas) cause us Texans are proud of our Lone Star flag.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Then just ban everything. The story was rather vague, but it sounded like they just said no to the flag and other banners are allowed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Maybe limit flag flying to country/state and sports team flags. And by country/state I mean that which you reside (US & Texas) cause us Texans are proud of our Lone Star flag.
I personally wouldn't care what someone did because I don't live in the apartment complex and don't have to look at any of their displays. As long as the tenant pays the rent, doesn't tear up the property or bother other tenants I'm cool. But, it's funny you mention sports team flags. Had an LSU tenant one time who had a monster banner (maybe 10 x 20 feet) that he wrapped around his balcony. It was so big he essentially walled in the balcony; it was obnoxious and my mom got all sorts of complaints from the other tenants. Unfortunately, deferring to the taste and common sense of a renter is a "camel's nose under the tent" problem. It's just easier to say "no" to everything than dealing with 30 tenants trying to one-up each other until they started leaving due to the excessive diplays of bad taste.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Plain and simple, banning the displaying of the American flag is WRONG!
What if someone displayed the flag upside down with an anarchy symbol painted on it? To me it's not about the flag. It's about going through all the brain damage as a landlord dealing with the dozens of tenants and their hypersensitivities, bad taste, etc. How long do you want the "do's and don'ts" portion of the rental agreement to be? How much do you want to be involved in petty squabbles? Believe me, it's much easier just to focus on rent collection.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Or you could just apply for section 8 housing and get a house in the burbs that all your neighbors are paying for and you don't have to maintain....but that's going off subject like we always do. ;)
one of our rental properties is being rented with someone via section 8. they (the housing authority) are fairly strict about maintenance and upkeep and we have a lot of leeway to evict if needed based on various "mis-behaviors" including lack of upkeep. luckily, we haven't had to worry with that as the tenant has been good.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.