All-SEC
Feb 25, 2005
Hoover, AL
"An accomplishment is to not only get a job, but an accomplishment is to win."

Last edited by a moderator:

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
OMG - don't those writers have their work edited/proofed before printing? In the context, the word is "faze", not phase. Good God.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
OMG - don't those writers have their work edited/proofed before printing? In the context, the word is "faze", not phase. Good God.
Just ask the OP. Look at every thread he's started since September. They all deal with this same website and written by Dan Harralson.

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville
Thoughts on Kiffin as OC?
He hasn't impressed me so far. We've only seen a spring game, but the offense looked in disarray on both sides.
I'm more concerned how he will represent Bama on the recruiting front. He has had a reputation as being a good recruiter in the past, but also has some bones in his closet in which other teams can use against him. I'm afraid he has lost his integrity and kids may not trust him. He can rebuild that trust, but it will take time.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Interesting read about our new OC.

My take on him is that he's been too immature to be a head coach, I'm hoping an OC job will let him do what he is best able to do.

He got on many people's wrong side mostly with his mouth, sayings things meant to stir the pot, he is especially good at sarcasm.

I'm not a fan of all this job hopping that's so common with coaches these days. It's as if there's enough money at stake, that's a legitimate excuse for doing the inexcusable.

I do not like the UT football program, and that's an understatement. But I don't think there's any argument that Kiffin handed them a raw deal. (Whether they had it coming, in my opinion, is beside the point.)

When you agree to take a job, and sign a contract doing so, then you owe a good faith effort to make good on what you offered...to coach the team. Just because you get an offer to pay you more, if that involves breaking your word given when you accepted the original job, I don't see getting a huge raise as a legitimate reason to go back on your word.

So I've got high hopes Kiffin will do what he's hired to do this time, and do it very well. On the other hand, I hope his opportunistic "me-first" attitude doesn't rub off on the team.

TidePhin

All-SEC
Feb 25, 2005
Hoover, AL
He hasn't impressed me so far. We've only seen a spring game, but the offense looked in disarray on both sides.
I'm more concerned how he will represent Bama on the recruiting front. He has had a reputation as being a good recruiter in the past, but also has some bones in his closet in which other teams can use against him. I'm afraid he has lost his integrity and kids may not trust him. He can rebuild that trust, but it will take time.
In defense, the spring game was unproven QBs against a stout D. Is Coker the answer? He's probably the best bet.

TidePhin

All-SEC
Feb 25, 2005
Hoover, AL
Interesting read about our new OC.

My take on him is that he's been too immature to be a head coach, I'm hoping an OC job will let him do what he is best able to do.

He got on many people's wrong side mostly with his mouth, sayings things meant to stir the pot, he is especially good at sarcasm.

I'm not a fan of all this job hopping that's so common with coaches these days. It's as if there's enough money at stake, that's a legitimate excuse for doing the inexcusable.

I do not like the UT football program, and that's an understatement. But I don't think there's any argument that Kiffin handed them a raw deal. (Whether they had it coming, in my opinion, is beside the point.)

When you agree to take a job, and sign a contract doing so, then you owe a good faith effort to make good on what you offered...to coach the team. Just because you get an offer to pay you more, if that involves breaking your word given when you accepted the original job, I don't see getting a huge raise as a legitimate reason to go back on your word.

So I've got high hopes Kiffin will do what he's hired to do this time, and do it very well. On the other hand, I hope his opportunistic "me-first" attitude doesn't rub off on the team.
I think it did speak volumes that he called a presser to let them know he was taking his dream job. Most coaches just leave without saying anything. The only other time I can remember a presser called like that was when Coach Cal left Memphis.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
I love how the site says that Dan Harralson is there lead Conference USA contributing writer yet almost all his articles are about the SEC. Speaks volumes about CUSA that there own "contributing writers" can't find any stories to write about them.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I think it did speak volumes that he called a presser to let them know he was taking his dream job. Most coaches just leave without saying anything. The only other time I can remember a presser called like that was when Coach Cal left Memphis.
I agree the press conference to announce his leaving was a good gesture. but it doesn't offset how dishonest he was overall with the UT athletic Department.

When Fran jumped ship at Bama, many Bama fans thought he had sacrificed his integrity and ability to lead young men by example. I still agree with that assessment. But I will point out at least Fran didn't lie and break his word after only one season.

TidePhin

All-SEC
Feb 25, 2005
Hoover, AL
I agree the press conference to announce his leaving was a good gesture. but it doesn't offset how dishonest he was overall with the UT athletic Department.

When Fran jumped ship at Bama, many Bama fans thought he had sacrificed his integrity and ability to lead young men by example. I still agree with that assessment. But I will point out at least Fran didn't lie and break his word after only one season.
True. And Fran was on the other end of being lied too.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Well if he can have success as an OC at USC than he can at Alabama as well with all the talent they have. As for the spring game that was a tough defense he was going against.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Well if he can have success as an OC at USC than he can at Alabama as well with all the talent they have.
That's what I think too.

I'm reminded of the Peter Principle:
The Peter Principle is a concept in management theory in which the selection of a candidate for a position is based on their performance in their current role rather than on their abilities relevant to the intended role. It is named after Laurence J. Peter who co-authored the humorous 1969 book The Peter Principle: Why Things Always Go Wrong with Raymond Hull. The authors suggest that people will tend to be promoted until they reach their "position of incompetence".
What that means is that Kiffin was hired as a head coach because he was a really good assistant coach, but the promotion to head coach was a step above his ability. He's now back in his comfort zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.