Woodstock, GA
Exactly, let's say after the championship games the AP rankings are:

Alabama (SEC CHAMP) 13-0
USC (P12 Champ) 13-0
Ohio St (B10 Champ) 12-1
Iowa St (B12 Champ) 12-1
Duke (ACC Champ) 12-1
ND 12-1 (lost to to USC)

TV will demand BAMA - ND over BAMA - Duke or IA St. Once that happens the BS of we are stuck with 4 teams for X years is gone and it goes to 8 teams within 2 years. Cotton, Rose, Orange, Sugar, Fiesta, Peach rotate the quarter final and semi-finals.

Once we get 8 teams, it is simple, 5 power conference champs and 3 at large teams.
& then 10-2 or most likely some 9-3 team or some 8-4 conference champion makes the "playoff"......yuck!

Bama Czar

1st Team
Sep 1, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Its common knowledge. Why do you think CBS picks us for their game of the week more than anyone else. I didn't say we were the best draw in CFB, but one of the best. Largely because of our following and a lot of people hate Saban/Bama and want to see us lose.
The networks select what they feel are the best match-ups between the best teams. I don't remember too many CBS games during those Shula years.... If you're not in the elite, you become the networks 5th or 6th choice....

& of course, I noticed you said "one of the biggest"...which is exactly why many other teams can make that claim. To me, being "one of the biggest" is not really much of a differentiation between Bama and about 10-15 other programs in CFB.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
The networks select what they feel are the best match-ups between the best teams. I don't remember too many CBS games during those Shula years.... If you're not in the elite, you become the networks 5th or 6th choice....

& of course, I noticed you said "one of the biggest"...which is exactly why many other teams can make that claim. To me, being "one of the biggest" is not really much of a differentiation between Bama and about 10-15 other programs in CFB.
Alabama is in the top 3 out of 4 highest rated games and 4 of the top 15. Basically every big game Bama plays is the biggest draw. Google is your friend, friend. http://www.sbnation.com/2012/12/11/3754632/college-football-tv-ratings-2012-alabama-notre-dame

Bama Czar

1st Team
Sep 1, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Alabama is in the top 3 out of 4 highest rated games and 4 of the top 15. Basically every big game Bama plays is the biggest draw. Google is your friend, friend. http://www.sbnation.com/2012/12/11/3754632/college-football-tv-ratings-2012-alabama-notre-dame
I can't really use an article that is about 18 months old, and is nothing more than a snapshot of one season to validate a point..... In that listing, I see a championship game (with no other competing game on at that time), two highly anticipated & network-hyped match-ups, and a season opener in prime time. Now I would really have been impressed if the article had showed some realm of consistency over 20 some odd seasons that included Alabama games vs Ole Miss, Miss St. et al...... one article showing only one season doesn't show much.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I can't really use an article that is about 18 months old, and is nothing more than a snapshot of one season to validate a point..... In that listing, I see a championship game (with no other competing game on at that time), two highly anticipated & network-hyped match-ups, and a season opener in prime time. Now I would really have been impressed if the article had showed some realm of consistency over 20 some odd seasons that included Alabama games vs Ole Miss, Miss St. et al...... one article showing only one season doesn't show much.
Seems like you just want to argue with somebody. That won't be me. Hope the rest of you day is better.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
With all due respect, you must not have a very good memory then.

2003: 3 (Arkansas, UGA, Tenn)
2004: 3 (Arkansas, Tenn, Auburn)
2005: 7 (S Carolina, Florida, Ole Miss, Tennessee, MSU, LSU, Auburn)
2006: 5 ( Arkansas, Florida, Ole Miss, Tennessee, Auburn)

Saban hired

2007: 2 (Florida St, LSU)
2008: 4 (Kentucky, Ole Miss, LSU, Auburn)

Interestingly enough, we only had as many CBS games in Saban's first two years as in Shula's first two years (6).

Shula record first two years: 10-16
Saban record first two years: 18-8

2009: 5 (Arkansas, Ole Miss, Tennessee, LSU, Auburn)
2010: 5 (Arkansas, Florida, S Carolina, LSU, Auburn)

We played more games on CBS in Shula's four years here than in Saban's first four (I'm not including the SECCG since that would have been played on CBS anyway).

Now to be fair, Saban DID have two games on ABC (Clemson and VT), so it's 18 apiece, but that only proves the point - we were the big draw as much during the Shula years as we have been during the Saban years as far as TV picks.

2011: 4 (Arkansas, Florida, LSU, Auburn) and 1 on ABC
2012: 5 (Arkanas, Missouri, LSU, aTm, Auburn) and 1 (Mich) on ABC
2013: 4 (aTm, Tenn, LSU, Auburn) and 1 (VT) on ABC

During Shula's last three years (two losing seasons), we were on CBS-TV FIFTEEN times whereas during Saban's three-year incredible run we were on CBS-TV THIRTEEN times and 3 more on ABC (16, total). But when you then remember that three of those 16 games were two new SEC teams - and that they would have probably been replaced with the likes of Vandy and perhaps S Carolina - then you have the same number of games whether we're good or not so good.

And then remember something else: in 2003 and 2004 when we were selected fewer times, we were also in the midst of a MAJOR probation that made our games virtually meaningless, online streaming wasn't developed as it is now so folks were stuck with PPV, and the OU game (expected to be a vicious rematch) got moved from ABC to ESPN because of the Mike Price firing (and assumed subsequent implosion).

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Keep in mind also the following CBS telecast history. Note that CBS got the SEC in 1996.

1996: 1 (Tenn)
1997: 1 (LSU)
1998: 2 (Tenn, LSU)
1999: 5 (Ark, Fla, Ole Miss, Tenn, LSU, MSU)
2000: 3 (Tenn, LSU, Auburn) and 1 on ABC (UCLA)
2001: 4 (Ark, Tenn, LSU, Auburn)
2002: 3 (UGA, Ole Miss, Auburn) plus OU on ABC

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
After you read Selma's replies, I think it's time for you to fall on your sword and end it all... :D

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Third down stats? Really? Can you imagine being left out because your punt return average was less than Team #4. This is going to make people a whole lot madder than the BCS ever did.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
To further elucidate the point, let's see how many times the other teams have played on CBS during their SEC title seasons. The Alabama number is in parentheses following it along with our record:

2001: LSU - 3 (4, 7-5) - we were on CBS more than the SEC's best team
2002: Georgia - 6 (3, 10-3)
2003: LSU - 4 (national championship season) (3, 4-9)
2004: Auburn - 4 (3, 6-7)
2005: Georgia - 2 (7, 10-3)
2006: Florida - 5 (5, 6-7) - remember, UF was national champs, we had a losing season
2007: LSU - 6 (2, 7-6)
2008: Florida - 4 (4, 11-2)
2009: Alabama, no comparison
2010: Auburn - 4 (5, 10-3)
2011: LSU - 5 (4, 12-1)
2012: Alabama, no comparison
2013: Auburn - 3 (4, 11-2)

In six of the last eleven seasons, we were on CBS as much or more than the SEC champion was. And then you have to consider this fact: some of those games are on not because of ONE TEAM but because it's a historic rivalry. Let's face it: CBS is pretty much always going to show Auburn-Georgia unless those two teams are terrible. Same with Florida-Tennessee or Florida-LSU.

The only real national draws in the SEC besides us are LSU (and this is because of Saban's excellence there followed by the sheer entertainment value of Les Miles) and Florida. And even when we had a losing season we were on CBS more than a national champion Florida team (and keep in mind one of Florida's appearances in 2006 was.....against us).

And my goodness, look at 2005, when we were on SEVEN times to UGA's two.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I refer you to Selma's posts above lol. He illustrated the point much better than I did.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Contrary to what we ( all SEC fans ) think, there are more college football fans who reside outside the SEC's foot print and they would love to see a NC game that did not include a team from the SEC. IMO this is part of the committee's charge to get the highest rated game between conference champions even if a 12-1 SEC team is clearly one of the best but may not be the conference champion. Right or wrong, 2011 was the death knell for the BCS.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.