Link: New Playoff Committee bias

im4uainva

All-SEC
Jul 3, 2011
Charlottesville, Va
Conference champions of the 5 power conferences and 4 playoff spots. Something does not add up.
BINGO! You nailed it! Make way for expansion to 8 teams just to appease everyone. Sometimes I just get really fed up with those that want to make it 'fair' instead of using just good 'ole common sense. How many results have we seen that weren't fair to 'Bama? '66, '77 come to mind, anyone? We may moan and groan about it, but that's life. And life isn't concerned about fairness.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
As our friend KrAzY would say "let's be clear"; you can make a strong case for teams ranked 5-8 being hosed in the current setup since we all know the intent all along was to have the conference champs make up the 4 teams selected.

Since it has pretty much been established that there are 5 "power conferences" then one of those conference champs gets left out every year. This will not be acceptable, so you either go to a 6 team format with an at large berth, (I don't know) Notre Dame perhaps; then give bys to 1 and 2 then they play the winners of 3-6. The other alternative is to immediately expand the playoff to 8 teams which is where this whole playoff scenario is headed and quite frankly should be. The whole idea of a selection committee is ludicrous, but if you are headed down that road then do it with 8 teams. :mad:

Last edited:

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
As our friend KrAzY would say "let's be clear"; you can make a strong case for teams ranked 5-8 being hosed in the current setup since we all know the intent all along was to have the conference champs make up the 4 teams selected.

Since it has pretty much been established that there are 5 "power conferences" then one of those conference champs gets left out every year. This will not be acceptable, so you either go to a 6 team format with an at large berth, (I don't know) Notre Dame perhaps; then give bys to 1 and 2 then they play the winners of 3-6. The other alternative is to immediately expand the playoff to 8 teams which is where this whole playoff scenario is headed and quite frankly should be. The whole idea of a selection committee is ludicrous, but if you are headed down that road then do it with 8 teams. :mad:
I don't think they are just going to pick teams based on being conference champions. Normally the lower ranked team in conference championship games are ranked outside of the top 10. Seems like if there was an upset in a conference championship game that would open an "at large bid" for the next team in line. I agree though that the CC from the SEC, B1G, and BIG 12 would under most circumstances be included. Probably the PAC-10 also.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
@CrimsonForce

The only conference that doesn't have a championship game currently, is the Big12. They say that their schedule is just as tough though because they play 9 conference games, which means they play everyone in the conference each year. WE all know that it isn't the same, but that's the ammo they use against the SEC and other detractors.

Bama Czar

1st Team
Sep 1, 2010
Woodstock, GA
The previous BCS ranking system would be fine for the four team playoff. I see no value this committee brings.
The playoff committee was created in order to create controversy. Unfortunately, this committee will be completely agenda driven in order to create a playoff each year that has a "national" appeal for TV $$...... They will be under pressure to produce huge ratings in order to have some leverage when negotiating the next round of TV contacts. Those higher ratings will come from a "cross country" viewing interest in the playoff.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
@CrimsonForce

The only conference that doesn't have a championship game currently, is the Big12. They say that their schedule is just as tough though because they play 9 conference games, which means they play everyone in the conference each year. WE all know that it isn't the same, but that's the ammo they use against the SEC and other detractors.
Gotcha. I was thinking the B1G didn't have one either but I guess they do now that they expanded. That's not as bad since it's only one conference but I still think all conferences should have a CCG. I could still see OU or another team from the BIG 12 being ranked #5 and a team in the top 4 losing their CCG and losing out on a top 4 spot in the playoffs. I guess that's just how it's going to be though.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
The playoff committee was created in order to create controversy. Unfortunately, this committee will be completely agenda driven in order to create a playoff each year that has a "national" appeal for TV $$...... They will be under pressure to produce huge ratings in order to have some leverage when negotiating the next round of TV contacts. Those higher ratings will come from a "cross country" viewing interest in the playoff.
If this is the case we should be in good shape. Bama is one of the biggest TV draws in CFB.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Exactly, let's say after the championship games the AP rankings are:

Alabama (SEC CHAMP) 13-0
USC (P12 Champ) 13-0
Ohio St (B10 Champ) 12-1
Iowa St (B12 Champ) 12-1
Duke (ACC Champ) 12-1
ND 12-1 (lost to to USC)

TV will demand BAMA - ND over BAMA - Duke or IA St. Once that happens the BS of we are stuck with 4 teams for X years is gone and it goes to 8 teams within 2 years. Cotton, Rose, Orange, Sugar, Fiesta, Peach rotate the quarter final and semi-finals.

Once we get 8 teams, it is simple, 5 power conference champs and 3 at large teams.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
The playoff is fine.....the committee is probably not going to work. Should have kept BCS selection process for top 4. There will be major controversy the first time the committee's selections don't match the AP Poll. (Probably this year).

CSA4Ever

Scout Team
Jun 6, 2010
I've always suspected this 4-team playoff is just a farce and will quickly be replaced by an 8-team scenario; which was always the intent.

As hard as we may try, humans cannot be 100% objective.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
I've always suspected this 4-team playoff is just a farce and will quickly be replaced by an 8-team scenario; which was always the intent.

As hard as we may try, humans cannot be 100% objective.
I agree but how will the student athletes be able to hold up with so many games and classroom responsibilities. Is this going to be another driver for payment?

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Link?

My guess is that there are several teams that make that claim.....
Its common knowledge. Why do you think CBS picks us for their game of the week more than anyone else. I didn't say we were the best draw in CFB, but one of the best. Largely because of our following and a lot of people hate Saban/Bama and want to see us lose.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.