QBs signed by Bama from 1980 to 1999

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
In 1999 Alabama signed Josh Parker. Parker transferred to CCSF and is thought to now be out of football.
In 2010, he was indeed "out of football", but was entertaining an offer to play semi-pro in Canada. I don't know if he ever took up that offer or not.

OreBama

All-American
Sep 26, 2005
Portland, OR
My favorite QB for reasons I can't quite define is Freddie Kitchens. He had a cannon for an arm and would throw a screen pass as hard as a hail mary. Thanks to the OP for the stroll down memory lane.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
My favorite QB for reasons I can't quite define is Freddie Kitchens. He had a cannon for an arm and would throw a screen pass as hard as a hail mary. Thanks to the OP for the stroll down memory lane.
Freddie played behind a line that would make last years line at Bama look like NFL All Pro's. He was one tough player and he had to be. I always thought he could have been great but IMHO he messed his arm up playing baseball.

bamablood6

1st Team
Mar 27, 2006
Ran across this article written in 2001 by Tider Insider.
QBs signed by Bama from 1980 to 1999
He forgot to mention the other great QB signed by Bill Curry......The New York native, Ray Stanton.

Curry could not recruit a QB to save his life.....well if you don't count Woodson and Stanton.

I think when Coach Stallings came on board, he asked where were the QB recruits.....none were even being mentioned prior to Curry even leaving. He had to start finding a QB and end up signing 3 in state guys that were not even previously mentioned with Bama or very many teams. Barker worked out, but at one point Bama was not even going to be able to bring in a QB (with Curry).

A few more years with Curry and Bama would have been playing football without a QB.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
funny story about one of them, Billy Ray

He grew up a Georgia Tech fan and wanted to go there except for one thing. He couldn't stand the Head Coach so he signed with Bama to play for Perkins. Shortly after Perkins left and who do we hire? Ga Tech's head coach Bill Curry. Word I heard was that Curry was still mad that Ray spurned Tech so he did not give him a fair shot at Bama causing Ray to leave for Duke to play for Spurrier.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
He forgot to mention the other great QB signed by Bill Curry......The New York native, Ray Stanton.

Curry could not recruit a QB to save his life.....well if you don't count Woodson and Stanton.

I think when Coach Stallings came on board, he asked where were the QB recruits.....none were even being mentioned prior to Curry even leaving. He had to start finding a QB and end up signing 3 in state guys that were not even previously mentioned with Bama or very many teams. Barker worked out, but at one point Bama was not even going to be able to bring in a QB (with Curry).

A few more years with Curry and Bama would have been playing football without a QB.
A few more years with Curry and we would have been the SEC West doormat.

catsbane

Scout Team
Dec 11, 2008
Helena
My all time favorite what-might-have-been backfield was a wishbone backfield in the immediate post-wishbone years. I believe all these guys were at Bama for at least one year together. Halfbacks would have been Bobby Humphrey and Gene Jelks (not a bad backfield by themselves). Billy Ray allegedly ran a 4.5 40 and showed his throwing prowess under Spurrier at Duke. My fullback would have been Robert Stewart if I correctly recall the gentleman's name. He had a bit of speed as well and was enough of a bull to later be the starter at nose guard. May be that my recollection of them all being there together at one point is incorrect though.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.