Ebola 'Totally Out of Control,' Doctors Without Borders Says

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
From reading some posts you'd think you could catch Ebola from looking at someone with the virus. It's about as contagious as HIV, but not as deadly.

This is much ado about nothing. There is almost no chance of a widespread outbreak in a 1st world country.

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
From reading some posts you'd think you could catch Ebola from looking at someone with the virus. It's about as contagious as HIV, but not as deadly.

This is much ado about nothing. There is almost no chance of a widespread outbreak in a 1st world country.
Though I agree with your final statement, I wholeheartedly disagree with your second. It's far more contagious than HIV (casual contact - sweat, saliva etc) and more deadly as well.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Actually, Ebola has a higher mortality rate than HIV (current strain is around 55%, US mortality rates over the last 30 years in the US are about 30% for HIV and continue to drop). And Ebola is more contagious than HIV as it can be caught from all bodily fluids.

But yeah, the over-reaction seems a bit silly. Industrialized nations are really well set up to prevent this kind of thing, as long as it doesn't mutate into an airborne contagion.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Though I agree with your final statement, I wholeheartedly disagree with your second. It's far more contagious than HIV (casual contact - sweat, saliva etc) and more deadly as well.
One big difference between aids and ebola is with aids you tend to live a long time while you are contagious, with ebola you go pretty quick before being able to spread it very much.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
All these comparisons just seem silly, unless we are soberly trying to put the disease into perspective. (soberly being the key word)

There is no use panicking, but concern is definitely warranted or else the brightest of the brightest in the medical field would not be concerned themselves. They are concerned and that is concerning. They are not panicking and that is reassuring. (not that they would panic anyway)

And think about this: Most experts think influenza is spread via droplets, NOT aerosolized droplets/airborne (there is some debate about this, however). OTOH, TB is airborne but even when exposed most people can fight it off without ill effects when they have limited exposure.

Ebola, though only known to be transmitted via fluid contact, certainly has the potential to be transmitted via other routes and the disease is quite contagious and virulent. Some strains have seemed to go airborne, thought these don't seem to effect humans. The more people are infected, the higher the likelihood of a mutation making the virus airborne.

More than any of this, it is what we don't know about Ebola that makes us shudder to think it may come here in the wild (not in a controlled manner). We don't know where it hides. Or how the patient zero acquires it. Or how several someones wearing PPE got it (at least not with any degree of certainty yet).

Panicking is useless. Arrogance is stupidity. They are both deadly.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
One big difference between aids and ebola is with aids you tend to live a long time while you are contagious, with ebola you go pretty quick before being able to spread it very much.
You nailed it. Ebola is really a "failed" virus, as in any which kills nearly 100% of its victims quickly. That makes it self-limiting, and it's always been that in the past. That this latest outbreak's only killing around 60% is a bit unsettling. That means the virus is "learning." Most of the techniques used with MRSA patients would port right over to Ebola. I'd say the profession most at risk would be undertakers...

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Just out of curiosity..Is Ebola considered the absolute worst of the worst diseases on the planet or is there other viruses even more dangerous than Ebola that's dormant for now???..

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Just out of curiosity..Is Ebola considered the absolute worst of the worst diseases on the planet or is there other viruses even more dangerous than Ebola that's dormant for now???..
It's certainly a horrible disease and fear-inducing. As Earl said, the jury is out. So far it is contained in Africa, mostly in "rural" areas. The fact it has been contained until now to the continent and mostly kept out of the big cities is comforting. It may indicate that we know enough to control its spread. It may indicate we are lucky. Or both. This outbreak is different. It has infected more people, killed more people, and seems to be gaining - not losing - momentum. This is different than past outbreaks and is unsettling.

Flu (virus), malaria (parasite), and TB (bacterium) each kill far more yearly than Ebola has in all known outbreaks combined thus far. Polio, a disease that was almost completely eradicated, is making a comeback. Sad thing about that is people are afraid of the vaccine more than the disease and so mostly kids suffer unnecessarily. Smallpox has been eradicated, but in it's heyday was just as fear-inducing, with a death rate 30% or higher for the worst forms. A few small samples of smallpox remain. Some have argued for their destruction while some would rather keep it around just in case. People in the US are no longer vaccinated for smallpox.

To determine the worst, you'd first have to determine your criteria for what constitutes the "worst". IOW, depends on who you ask.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Honestly, I'd be more worried about some of these strains of bird flu coming out of Asia. Go read up the 1918 H1N1 flu. That took out 5% of the world population.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
Honestly, I'd be more worried about some of these strains of bird flu coming out of Asia. Go read up the 1918 H1N1 flu. That took out 5% of the world population.
A flu pandemic like that one would be terrifying. Unlike the regular flu healthy folks were as likely to die as anyone due to cytokine storms.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I actually contracted H1N1 several years ago, when it reestablished itself. I thought I was safe because of my age. (I was around when it was the predominant strain.) It's nasty stuff. It was literally months before I felt normal again...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Glad you got over it. Bad stuff. From here last winter

http://www.khou.com/story/local/2014/08/03/12288368/
Believe me, there was a time when I had my own doubts. For those who don't know how these flu epidemics work, a relative of H1N1 was the predominate strain from 1918 until 1957. Then, the Asiatic flu swept in and took its place. I was saved from dying in 1957 because the professor who shared the bathroom happened to realize he hadn't heard me in days. He came in and asked how long I'd been in bed. I told him three days. A teacher I knew from Decatur who was in T-Town, working on his masters came and got me, made a bed in the back of his car and drove me home to Decatur. The Asian strains stayed the main strain until the "new" H1N1 showed up again. The strains tend to become less virulent over time, because, as I said above, if you're a virus, you want to propagate. Killing your host quickly is not the best way to accomplish that. I already see signs the Ebola virus is attenuating. That sounds like good news, but it's not...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.