Ebola 'Totally Out of Control,' Doctors Without Borders Says

Status
Not open for further replies.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Ties in with DBF's post above.

Shocking mutation and 'burn-out' scenarios revealed about escalating Ebola epidemic

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/...-about-escalating-Ebola-epidemic?detail=email

In our first article, What We’re Afraid to Say About Ebola, Michael T. Osterholm, the director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota, warns that that the potential of mutation of Ebola to an airborne spread vector is greater than we've been led to believe.

In a second frightening report which is stirring controversy among the international health communities, Virologist: Fight against Ebola in Sierra Leone and Liberia is lost, a German virologist, Jonas Schmidt-Chanasit of the Bernhard Nocht Institute for Tropical Medicine in Hamburg "told DW that he and his colleagues are losing hope for Sierra Leone and Liberia, two of the countries worst hit by the recent Ebola epidemic.
This very well may be our Motaba.

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
Apparently not. We gonna send 2000 good American boys over there to be exposed to it. smh President called it a "national security risk"...but the open border to the south isn't?
So you are equating illegals crossing the border to a disease that kills roughly 80% of its victims and usually ends up in multiple additional cases for every person infected if the original case is undiagnosed/untreated? Nevermind the fact that the disease can pass on even if the infected person is dead.

Just wanted to make sure that I understood what you were saying.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
So you are equating illegals crossing the border to a disease that kills roughly 80% of its victims and usually ends up in multiple additional cases for every person infected if the original case is undiagnosed/untreated? Nevermind the fact that the disease can pass on even if the infected person is dead.

Just wanted to make sure that I understood what you were saying.
So what exactly are 2,000 US troops going to do in Sierra Leone or Liberia? Most will not have adequate medical training to treat the disease. Please tell me what sending them over there will do to help stop the spread of the disease?

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
So what exactly are 2,000 US troops going to do in Sierra Leone or Liberia? Most will not have adequate medical training to treat the disease. Please tell me what sending them over there will do to help stop the spread of the disease?
You are conflating the two issues. I asked if people really thought that illegal aliens = ebola epidemic (which it isn't yet an epidemic, but could be). It had nothing to do with my opinion on the actions of the President.

Information on the troops (its now apparently 3000) http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/09/16/us-health-ebola-obama-idUSKBN0HB08S20140916

Reuters Article said:
The United States announced on Tuesday that it would send 3,000 troops to help tackle the Ebola outbreak as part of a ramped-up response including a major deployment in Liberia, the country where the epidemic is spiraling fastest out of control.

The U.S. response to the crisis, to be formally unveiled later by President Barack Obama, includes plans to build 17 treatment centers, train thousands of healthcare workers and establish a military control center for coordination, U.S. officials told reporters.
Will 3000 troops make a dent? I doubt it, likely they are there to help make the President look like he is doing something besides just sitting on his thumbs. However I am not a medical expert/epidemiologist. Maybe just having a stabilizing military force will help give some legitimacy to the effort and make the locals take it more seriously. I really have no idea.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
You are conflating the two issues. I asked if people really thought that illegal aliens = ebola epidemic (which it isn't yet an epidemic, but could be). It had nothing to do with my opinion on the actions of the President.

Will 3000 troops make a dent? I doubt it, likely they are there to help make the President look like he is doing something besides just sitting on his thumbs. However I am not a medical expert/epidemiologist. Maybe just having a stabilizing military force will help give some legitimacy to the effort and make the locals take it more seriously. I really have no idea.
We have an epidemic of tuberculosis and respiratory illnesses crossing the border and being sent to our schools infecting our kids. So, maybe illegals don't = ebola, but they equal disease.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

Information on the troops (its now apparently 3000) http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/09/16/us-health-ebola-obama-idUSKBN0HB08S20140916

I would bet the US is sending an Army Combat Surgical Hospital (CSH*) or other service equivalent, plus, since this is the US military, a bunch of dudes to guard the perimeter, feed and command and control the lot. That would be around 3,000. This number of soldiers/Marine/airmen/sailors would not be enough to do much beyond that.

* A CSH has, I think, 248 beds, and is designed to deal with trauma. This one I would guess, would be similar in size, but would be tailored in its capabilities and personnel to deal with infectious diseases. In any event, I would wager these folks will be a nervous lot. I certainly would be.

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
I would bet the US is sending an Army Combat Surgical Hospital (CSH*) or other service equivalent, plus, since this is the US military, a bunch of dudes to guard the perimeter, feed and command and control the lot. That would be around 3,000. This number of soldiers/Marine/airmen/sailors would not be enough to do much beyond that.

* A CSH has, I think, 248 beds, and is designed to deal with trauma. This one I would guess, would be similar in size, but would be tailored in its capabilities and personnel to deal with infectious diseases. In any event, I would wager these folks will be a nervous lot. I certainly would be.
Report said 1700 "beds" being sent. And what i was meaning is ebola is isolated there in libera/sierra lione. That isn't a national security risk for the USA. Open door border with mexico is. That's what i'm saying. That isn't a job for our military (medical unit or not). Now, along with being world "policemen", our troops gotta go be "world nurses". I'm sure the units that got the orders to head there were jumping for joy.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA

I feel bad for those guys going. Safety briefs will have them jumping away from anything that moves.

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
Oh, and the president is asking for either $88mil or $88bil for this. I was in a semi-shock state at the fact they were sending troops over, that i missed whether it was a M or B.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Report said 1700 "beds" being sent.
Yeah, I heard that on the radio as well. That is a big hospital.
And what i was meaning is ebola is isolated there in libera/sierra lione. That isn't a national security risk for the USA. Open door border with mexico is. That's what i'm saying. That isn't a job for our military (medical unit or not). Now, along with being world "policemen", our troops gotta go be "world nurses". I'm sure the units that got the orders to head there were jumping for joy.
Sadly, I suspect the US will not be able to do much to stop this epidemic.
I agree with you on the prioritization of security issues.
This seems to be mostly for show going into the fall elections.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/ebola-outbreak-spiralling-out-of-control-barack-obama-1.2767375

This is the kind of thing the US does very well, and these people need help.

With the addition of military personnel, administration officials said that the new U.S. initiatives aim to:
  • Train as many as 500 health care workers a week.
  • Erect 17 health care facilities in the region of 100 beds each.
  • Set up a joint command headquartered in Monrovia, Liberia, to co-ordinate between U.S. and international relief efforts.
  • Provide home health care kits to hundreds of thousands of households, including 50,000 that the U.S. Agency for International Development will deliver to Liberia this week.
  • Carry out a home- and community-based campaign to train local populations on how to handle exposed patients.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
We have an epidemic of tuberculosis and respiratory illnesses crossing the border and being sent to our schools infecting our kids. So, maybe illegals don't = ebola, but they equal disease.
Any proof of this or is this just another wildly unsubstantiated statement?

CDC on TB rates: http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6311a2.htm

In 2013, a total of 9,588 new tuberculosis (TB) cases were reported in the United States, with an incidence rate of 3.0 cases per 100,000 population, a decrease of 4.2% from 2012 (1).

Among foreign-born persons in the United States, the number and rate of TB cases also decreased in 2013. A total of 6,172 TB cases were reported among foreign-born persons (64.6% of all cases in persons with known national origin), a 1.6% decrease since 2012 and a 19.0% decrease since 2000.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Any proof of this or is this just another wildly unsubstantiated statement?

CDC on TB rates: http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6311a2.htm

In 2013, a total of 9,588 new tuberculosis (TB) cases were reported in the United States, with an incidence rate of 3.0 cases per 100,000 population, a decrease of 4.2% from 2012 (1).

Among foreign-born persons in the United States, the number and rate of TB cases also decreased in 2013. A total of 6,172 TB cases were reported among foreign-born persons (64.6% of all cases in persons with known national origin), a 1.6% decrease since 2012 and a 19.0% decrease since 2000.
Do we know those figures apply to the current wave coming in to this country? Also, can we really trust our government?

http://www.thenewamerican.com/usnew...rs-mention-illegal-aliens-diseases-go-to-jail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.