Ebola 'Totally Out of Control,' Doctors Without Borders Says

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/ebola-outbreak-spiralling-out-of-control-barack-obama-1.2767375

This is the kind of thing the US does very well, and these people need help.
Having spent more time in sub-Saharan Africa than most Americans, I will go on record now as predicting that this will, in the end, prove fruitless in improving the health care system in west Africa. It will be as effective as taking a bucket of water from the ocean and pouring it back in the ocean and telling yourself that you have changed the water level by the process.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Having spent more time in sub-Saharan Africa than most Americans, I will go on record now as predicting that this will, in the end, prove fruitless in improving the health care system in west Africa. It will be as effective as taking a bucket of water from the ocean and pouring it back in the ocean and telling yourself that you have changed the water level by the process.
yah, outside of imposing some sort of martial law, this won't be controlled, especially there.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Oh, and the president is asking for either $88mil or $88bil for this. I was in a semi-shock state at the fact they were sending troops over, that i missed whether it was a M or B.
Oh, I'm sure it will be billion, with a "b." Heck it would cost $88 million dollars just to fly $88 billion dollars over there and drop the money from planes.
$88 million wouldn't buy the US government much of anything.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Apparently not. We gonna send 2000 good American boys over there to be exposed to it. smh President called it a "national security risk"...but the open border to the south isn't?
Wait until ISIS launches their first big terrorist attack in the US and the subsequent investigation proves the perps crossed the southern border illegally, and you'll see "open border" advocates scrambling for cover like cockroaches in a McDonald's kitchen when you turn on the lights.
I hope an ISIS attack doesn't happen, but when it does, my sadness will be lessened ever so slightly by watching all the back-pedalling by John "Isht Not Amneshty!" McCain, the Chamber of Commerce types, and BHO.

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
Do we know those figures apply to the current wave coming in to this country? Also, can we really trust our government?

http://www.thenewamerican.com/usnew...rs-mention-illegal-aliens-diseases-go-to-jail
How about a doctor in Texas?

http://www.texasobserver.org/disease-threat-immigrant-children-wildly-overstated/

Texas Observer said:
...snip...

Before demonizing undocumented children, we should look at the facts: The vast majority of Central Americans are vaccinated against all these diseases. Governments concerned about health, and good parents investing in their kids, have made Central American kids better-vaccinated than Texan kids. We fear them not because they are actually sick, but because of powerful anti-immigration narratives that link foreigners to disease.

Consider, for example, Guatemala. According to the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF), Guatemalan kids are more likely than Texans to be immunized for most infectious diseases. Guatemala has universal health care. Vaccines are 100 percent funded by the government.

...snip...

Fact check: UNICEF reports that 93 percent of kids in Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador are vaccinated against measles. That’s better than American kids (92 percent).

...snip...

Tuberculosis (TB) is one of the diseases most calculated to frighten Texans. On the right-wing blog Breitbart Texas, Vliet claims that immigrants with TB “are putting others’ lives at risk,” and that multi-drug-resistant TB is the “most common form” of TB in Latin America.

The latter is simply false: Fewer than 1 percent of TB cases in the Americas are multi-drug-resistant, according to the WHO. Most of those cases are still treatable. According to the Texas Department of State Health Services (DSHS), no cases of the more difficult extensively drug-resistant TB (XDR-TB) were reported here in 2012.

More than 90 percent of Central Americans are vaccinated against TB, according to the WHO. The vaccine, called the BCG, is imperfect. It’s used in countries where TB is still common, but some cases will break through the vaccine’s coverage.

Americans are not routinely vaccinated. According to the state health department, the 1,233 cases of TB that occurred in Texas in 2012 were mostly along the border and in prisons. The disease has stayed crouched in those centers of poverty because it flourishes where people live in close quarters and suffer from diseases like alcoholism and HIV, which knock down their immune defenses. Eradicate poverty, and TB fades away.

Fear of disease is motivating people to move against immigrants. In League City, the City Council voted this week to prohibit the housing or processing of undocumented immigrants. The resolution cited the “threat of communicable diseases reported to be prevalent” among immigrants as a justification for the use of police power to protect “citizens” from these children.

And in Murrieta, California, protesters blocked buses carrying migrant children after it was revealed that some of them had been hospitalized for fevers.

Fear turns sick kids into a threat. But the threat of tuberculosis is overblown. The state health department is screening unaccompanied minors for the disease. Some small percentage of them—like a tiny percentage of Texan kids overall—probably have TB. It can be controlled and treated before it spreads.

Even if these unaccompanied minors did pose a huge tuberculosis threat—which they do not—Texas is equipped to deal with it. We have clinics, first-line antibiotics and even a tuberculosis sanitarium to house folks who can’t keep up with the daily antibiotics on their own.

There are legitimate health concerns associated with human migration. But the narrative that immigrants such as these children are particularly diseased has more to do with fear than it does with science.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
That's all mildly interesting but the question is not whether Central Americans are healthier on average than the average Texan.
If one American gets sick with a communicable disease from one Central American, then there is a cost to illegal immigration that would not have been incurred if the Federal government would enforce immigration law and effectively prevented illegal immigration.

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
Do we know those figures apply to the current wave coming in to this country? Also, can we really trust our government?

http://www.thenewamerican.com/usnew...rs-mention-illegal-aliens-diseases-go-to-jail
Or maybe the Dallas News?

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/loca...ely-to-bring-diseases-to-u.s.-experts-say.ece

Dallas News said:
More than 57,000 children have traveled alone from Central American countries and have been detained by U.S immigration authorities at South Texas holding facilities this year. That number could reach 90,000 by year’s end.

Many are being transferred to other immigration centers, and 2,000 are expected to be housed in Dallas later this summer.

As of late last week, state health officials have reported three cases of tuberculosis, 23 cases of chicken pox and three cases of flu among children housed in detention centers in South Texas, said Carrie Williams, a spokeswoman for the Texas Department of State Health Services.

“We’ve had no reports of measles,” she said. “Generally, the potential for a wider public health issue is there. But the biggest risk we are seeing for the people in the detention centers is because of the lack of hand-washing facilities.”

Immigrant children typically pose little threat to public health, says the state’s top pediatrician.

“The general public doesn’t need to be concerned that there are going to be outbreaks of illness due to these immigrant children,” says Dr. Mark Ward, president of the Texas Pediatric Society, which represents 2,800 pediatricians. “Most of these children will not have an illness that puts others at risk.”
So as of July 12th, of 57,000 immigrant children:
Kids with TB: 0.0052%
Kids with Chicken Pox: 0.040%
Kids with Flu: 0.0052%
Kids with Measels: 0.0000%

I know facts are inconvenient, and you will likely not believe these because obviously everyone in the article is a liberal hippie who is lying to cover up the fact that all of these children are actually ISIS plants who have infected themselves with ebola to wipe out the great satan.

The thing that gets me, is that these are children. I understand that most on the right see them as future democrats who will only want to suck at the teat of American largesse. But they are kids. Maybe if people weren't so interested in being jerks to them, they might actually be thankful and productive members of society instead of outcasts who distrust a nation that had people protest a bus full of kids shouting some pretty hateful things. At kids.

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
That's all mildly interesting but the question is not whether Central Americans are healthier on average than the average Texan.
If one American gets sick with a communicable disease from one Central American, then there is a cost to illegal immigration that would not have been incurred if the Federal government would enforce immigration law and effectively prevented illegal immigration.
Thats like saying if one businessman has TB and gets on a flight from Europe during routine business duties, and it spreads to someone in New York, we should stop all business activity with Europe.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1113831/

Now I am not saying that that is what happened in New York, which eventually ended up costing 1BN to fix, was caused by my hypothetical scenario. Disease is something that exists at the cost of being in a dense society. The only way to be perfect at it would be for everyone to wear a bubble everywhere they go. Truth of the matter is that we are far more likely to have an outbreak of disease due to the crazy anti-vaxxers who are already US citizens.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...e-anti-vaccine-movement-is-endangering-lives/

I guess at the end of the day, my point is that the argument against the illegal immigrants would be much better served on its merits, such as selective law enforcement and being used as a political football instead of trying to wrap it up in an emotional argument carried on the back of imaginary disease infested muslim immigrant children.

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
I think you, 92, 666 and seebell should host all these youngsters and home school them since you think they should be here.
How did my argument against the misinformation being spread regarding disease turn into me saying that they should be here? I was merely pointing out, and actually fulfilling your request for information more recent than 2012 that the incidents of disease in the kids are far less than what the hype machine is trying to rev up.

I did say that these are kids, and could be good additions to American society, if they were shown compassion. Compassion does not automatically mean allowing illegal immigrants to stay in the country. Pointing out their potential and requesting compassion has nothing to do with whether they should be deported or find some way to legally allow them to remain.

The fact of the matter is that congress won't touch the immigration issue with a ten foot pole until after the midterms and maybe not even until after the next presidential election. The law as it is currently written forces the government to investigate each child's situation individually under the William Wilberforce Trafficking Victims Protection Reauthorization Act of 2008. As a quick reminder "the bill gave substantial new protections to children entering the country alone who were not from Mexico or Canada by prohibiting them from being quickly sent back to their country of origin." This coupled with a system that doesn't have the resources to get through the vast number of children illegally here during this recent immigration kerfluffle, the backlog is ridiculously long and getting longer as the kids are spread out into the US because there isn't enough space house them all along the border.

More about why we haven't been able to stuff all the kids in a container ship and float them home: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/08/u...ed-in-law-to-curb-child-trafficking.html?_r=0

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Thats like saying if one businessman has TB and gets on a flight from Europe during routine business duties, and it spreads to someone in New York, we should stop all business activity with Europe.
Well, no, it is actually not like that. Travel to Europe is legal. Illegal immigration is, um, what is the word I'm looking for... illegal. If no illegal immigration happened, then no Americans would ever get sick from illegal immigrants. No Americans would be murdered by illegal immigrant muderers. No Americans would be killed in drunk driving accidents by illegal immigrants driving drunk, etc., etc.
Now I am not saying that that is what happened in New York, which eventually ended up costing 1BN to fix, was caused by my hypothetical scenario. Disease is something that exists at the cost of being in a dense society. The only way to be perfect at it would be for everyone to wear a bubble everywhere they go. Truth of the matter is that we are far more likely to have an outbreak of disease due to the crazy anti-vaxxers who are already US citizens.

I guess at the end of the day, my point is that the argument against the illegal immigrants would be much better served on its merits, such as selective law enforcement and being used as a political football instead of trying to wrap it up in an emotional argument carried on the back of imaginary disease infested muslim immigrant children.
Perhaps, but couching the argument in terms of "Central Americans are healthier than Texans" does a disservice, since, if no illegal immigrants were here, no Americans would suffer any ill effects of illegal immigration.
But Democrats need their hispanic voting bloc and the Chamber of Commerce Republicans need their Chamber of Commerce campaign contributions. So we are told to look away and ignore an problems associated with illegal immigration.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
I think you, 92, 666 and seebell should host all these youngsters and home school them since you think they should be here.
Never said I think they should be here. I have posted in other threads that I am not in favor of immigration at all. But i would appreciate some facts from you rather than you stating it's obvious that immigrant children are causing epidemics and that there is a government cover up.

gmart74

Hall of Fame
Oct 9, 2005
Baltimore, Md
I'm getting to the point where I have no confidence in our government to competently manage any aspect of this country. I'm just disgusted I am witnessing so many morons throw away what so many brave men died for. The illegal immigration issue is just yet another sign of utter mismanagement.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
That is ridiculously over the top and comes very close to being a personal, ad hominem, attack. When we can't disagree as gentlemen, and this remark is not, then we'll just have to restrict those who can't comply. I'm not deleting it, but you need to put both hands on the keyboard and push carefully away. I'd better not have a public answer to this post...

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I think we just need to party like it's 1999. Between ebola in Africa, TB and other bronchial viruses from south of the border and ISIS threatening us with nuclear attack, I say party on Garth!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.