Ebola 'Totally Out of Control,' Doctors Without Borders Says

Status
Not open for further replies.

crimson fan man

Hall of Fame
Aug 12, 2002
Athens Al
Well to be honest I have never took one and this thread is getting me concerned. You here mix feelings on the shot so I have always been on the side of cautious and not taken one. I do believe I will take one this year when my doctor offers it. I am getting on up in age.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Well to be honest I have never took one and this thread is getting me concerned. You here mix feelings on the shot so I have always been on the side of cautious and not taken one. I do believe I will take one this year when my doctor offers it. I am getting on up in aged.
I think I can understand your post, but I'm astounded. "Cautious," particularly for older individuals, is taking one every year. I don't know what "mix feelings" you're talking about, but you'd better stop listening to them, whoever they may be, because they don't know what they're talking about. After almost biting the dirt with the H1N1 flu, I'm one of the first in line every fall. A little factoid your informants probably don't know - getting the flue shot decreases your chance of a fatal heart attack by one half. Chew on that one...

crimson fan man

Hall of Fame
Aug 12, 2002
Athens Al
I think I can understand your post, but I'm astounded. "Cautious," particularly for older individuals, is taking one every year. I don't know what "mix feelings" you're talking about, but you'd better stop listening to them, whoever they may be, because they don't know what they're talking about. After almost biting the dirt with the H1N1 flu, I'm one of the first in line every fall. A little factoid your informants probably don't know - getting the flue shot decreases your chance of a fatal heart attack by one half. Chew on that one...
That is the info that I wanted. Got the flu last year and it was bad but not what I had in the past. Just needed some input from people that know a lot more than I do. Thanks for the answer.

gmart74

Hall of Fame
Oct 9, 2005
Baltimore, Md
That is the info that I wanted. Got the flu last year and it was bad but not what I had in the past. Just needed some input from people that know a lot more than I do. Thanks for the answer.
be careful before you believe bio statistics. biologists are notorious for pulling stats out of their nether regions. the whole flu shot/heart attack stat may just be indicative of people who receive a lot of preventative medical care vs those who dont see a dr unless something terrible happens.
brushing your teeth less than once a day triples your risk of heart disease (probably indicative of poor overall hygiene, nutrition, and medical care as opposed to just brushing teeth, but hey lets not let science kill a good headline)
http://www.nhs.uk/news/2010/05May/Pages/clean-teeth-cuts-heart-disease.aspx
all that being said, i have never had a flu shot. however i am having a kid soon so i have to think of the kid being in the high risk category as part of my decision this yr.
you mentioned you were getting up there in age and thus are probably high risk as well. as such, it probably makes sense to get one.

Last edited:

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
I know everyone swears up and down that it is better to get a flu shot. But my son is 7 years old. I have gotten a shot 3 of those years. I got sick all three of those years. I did not get sick once for anything in the other four years. My wife has gotten a shot all 7 years and has gotten sick all 7. It may be dumb luck, but its just hard to convince myself to get a shot when every time I do I get sick.
That said, Ebola is not even a slight consideration. My wife bugging me about it is a bigger factor by 100 fold.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
be careful before you believe bio statistics. biologists are notorious for pulling stats out of their nether regions. the whole flu shot/heart attack stat may just be indicative of people who receive a lot of preventative medical care vs those who dont see a dr unless something terrible happens.
brushing your teeth less than once a day triples your risk of heart disease (probably indicative of poor overall hygiene, nutrition, and medical care as opposed to just brushing teeth, but hey lets not let science kill a good headline)
all that being said, i have never had a flu shot. however i am having a kid soon so i have to think of the kid being in the high risk category as part of my decision this yr.
you mentioned you were getting up there in age and thus are probably high risk as well. as such, it probably makes sense to get one.
There really have been quite a few studies in different countries. It's not something to be dismissed as being pulled out of a rear. However, do what you want. I don't give a damn...

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
I got one every year I was in the military (they didn't give you a choice), never got sick.

I went quite a few years after without getting one, never got sick. The last couple of years, though, I have started getting them again, just as a precaution (still haven't gotten sick :) )

gmart74

Hall of Fame
Oct 9, 2005
Baltimore, Md
There really have been quite a few studies in different countries. It's not something to be dismissed as being pulled out of a rear.
there have been just as many studies around the world about oral health related to heart disease. so if not brushing triples your chance of heart disease, and not getting a flu shot only doubles your risk, then what is the lesson to be learned?

However, do what you want. I don't give a damn...
cool.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
there have been just as many studies around the world about oral health related to heart disease. so if not brushing triples your chance of heart disease, and not getting a flu shot only doubles your risk, then what is the lesson to be learned?

cool.
As I said, I don't give a damn. Act on information you trust, as I will. This discussion is over...

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
I got one every year I was in the military (they didn't give you a choice), never got sick.

I went quite a few years after without getting one, never got sick. The last couple of years, though, I have started getting them again, just as a precaution (still haven't gotten sick :) )
That's pretty much my story also.

If you both don't brush your teeth at least once daily and don't get flu shots, you've been dead since 1922?

sabanball

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
High Cotton
cool.
That 100% of people that use statistics die.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
OK here is a serious question, would you take the flu shot this year?
I get them because they are free at work. Never had an issue with one. Thing is flu shots are a crap shoot anyway. They predict which strains of flu are going to be prevalent that year and that is what goes into the vaccine. The vaccine doesn't protect you against all strains.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
There really have been quite a few studies in different countries. It's not something to be dismissed as being pulled out of a rear. However, do what you want. I don't give a damn...
How could the flu vaccine prevent heart attacks?
The reason seems to be that major infection puts a great deal of stress on the heart.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
As I said, I don't give a damn. Act on information you trust, as I will. This discussion is over...
It's one of those debates that I don't know can be settled. My uncle is a dentist and he was telling me the stat related to brushing your teeth and heart disease. It's a chicken or egg question.

Does brushing your teeth prevent heart disease?

or

Do healthier people tend to brush their teeth more often?

Maybe it's a combination of both.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.