Link: Julio's little shack in Georgia

BamaFossil

All-American
Jun 3, 2008
Williamsburg, VA
.... I know CNS and UA work really hard at helping our guys get good investment advice when they go pro. I hope it takes for them all...
I'm glad to read the above comment. It's good to hear that UA is doing all it can to give our guys the tools and knowledge to make solid financial decisions that'll stand up over time. I likewise wish they would all heed the advice.

And as for the house... I'm stunned he could get that house and property for $1.25M.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I don't care how much money I had, I couldn't care less about a house that big.

I'm happy for him if that's what he really wants, but it just looks like one big headache after another to me.
So you wouldn't spend 6.25% of your overall salary on a house? He just signed a $16 million dollar contract and probably makes at least half of that in endorsements and sponsors. It's really not that big of a purchase if you look at in in perspective.

irNate

1st Team
Nov 19, 2010
Snellville, GA
A house is a good investment if you plan on owning it one day. A lot of these guys who are broke at the end of their careers owe a bunch of money on their homes, it's astounding how much. There are much worse things an athlete can spend money on, like get rich quick schemes and expensive automobiles. At least real estate won't decrease in value.
I wish my house felt the same way being worth 60% of what I mortgaged it for in 2004. I've owned cars that were a better investment percentage wise. Seriously, I bought my wife a 1996 Blazer in 2004 for $4,000 traded it in 5 years later for $3,700.

Julio's house though, very nice!!! I work about 10 minutes from that area, if he only paid 1.25m for that house.. he got an amazing deal!

BradtheImpaler

All-American
Nov 16, 2010
Sugar Hill, GA
My then girl friend had me look at homes in the Suwannee, GA area a few years ago, which is closer to Atlanta than Buford, that were a third of the size of Julio's house and maybe smaller that were in the $1 million range. If you know anything about the Atlanta metro area Buford's a good 30-40 miles from the 285 Perimeter and close to 70-75 miles out of downtown Atlanta.

According to the records he paid about $1.25 million CASH for that house, which was valued around 2007 at about $2.5 million. A couple of years prior to 2007 that house might be priced in the $4 million range. If the Atlanta real estate market ever recovers to those levels he could make a tidy profit so possibly a decent investment.
Buford is actually just under 40 miles from downtown Atlanta. I live in Sugar Hill, which is literally smack dab against Buford. And, the Atlanta market - at least out this way - is coming back gangbusters. At least that's what Gwinnett County is telling us on our property tax bill. Our house is worth 58% more than it was just last year. :rolleyes:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
High profile athletes/celebrites can't live in $500,000 houses. They have to live in gated communities or else fans would drive them bonkers. Privacy costs a lot of money.
Nick Saban does not live in a gated community.

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Buford is actually just under 40 miles from downtown Atlanta. I live in Sugar Hill, which is literally smack dab against Buford. And, the Atlanta market - at least out this way - is coming back gangbusters. At least that's what Gwinnett County is telling us on our property tax bill. Our house is worth 58% more than it was just last year. :rolleyes:
You're probably right but it seems further than that, especially if you use Buford Hwy/23. I live near Holcomb Bridge and Ga 400 and driving miles to Buford via the meandering roads is a long way.

Last edited:

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I wish my house felt the same way being worth 60% of what I mortgaged it for in 2004. I've owned cars that were a better investment percentage wise. Seriously, I bought my wife a 1996 Blazer in 2004 for $4,000 traded it in 5 years later for $3,700.

Julio's house though, very nice!!! I work about 10 minutes from that area, if he only paid 1.25m for that house.. he got an amazing deal!
Oh! That hurts. Sounds like you bought pretty close to the peak.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
That's very nice indeed, but, if I was Julio's agent I'd recommend this--Buy an incredibly nice $500,000.00 house in a very nice neighborhood and then put $2,000,000 a year into a mutual fund and/or retirement fund, drive a Yukon, be sensible and retire at 35 with no financial worries for the rest of your life, your kid's lives, your wife's life, your grandkids lives, and so on and so on.
I love Julio. I admire everything about him.
Still I have to ask--Why does a single guy, who's 23-24 years old, need a house like this?
95% of NFL football players file bankruptcy within five years of retirement.
It's investments like this one that starts the process.
sip
Yeah and I bet 95% of that money went to jewely, cars, and groupies. Just because you're a great athlete doesn't mean you're a smart person when it comes to life. Good on Julio for living smart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.