Game Thread: USA vs. Portugal - and following World Cup scenario...

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Re: USA vs. Portugal...

I recall the announcers saying there was four minutes of stoppage time. Then, I saw "+5" on the clock. Wondered if that was the reason.
Yea I know all teams do slow substitutions but that just goes to show it doesn't always pay off.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Hmm... That was the reason the sideline guy asked Klinsmann if he had any regret about decisions and he said "we just look forward..."

B

BroadwayJoe777

Strange how exciting I find the World Cup to be and never think about soccer until 4 years afterwards...:)

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Strange how exciting I find the World Cup to be and never think about soccer until 4 years afterwards...:)
I follow it somewhat the rest of the years, but it's about like the Olympics to me. I follow those other sports just sporadically between the games. I've had kids and grandkids in soccer and I almost had to learn the rules and tactics. I'm glad I did. I enjoy the World Cup a great deal more because of it. Understanding the game is important to enjoying watching it. In a way, watching the World Cup or the Olympics is similar to watching just the playoffs in the NFL, MLB or the NBA. That's pretty much what I do. One thing I'll never understand are MLB fans complaining about soccer being boring. My god, in soccer, people run around constantly. They run into each other, draw blood and get injured. In MLB, all people do is stand around 95% of the time, and I'm saying that as a former baseball/softball player. When folks tell me I just don't understand the the strategy and nuances of MLB (I do), I point out that their problem with soccer is similar...

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

I follow it somewhat the rest of the years, but it's about like the Olympics to me. I follow those other sports just sporadically between the games. I've had kids and grandkids in soccer and I almost had to learn the rules and tactics. I'm glad I did. I enjoy the World Cup a great deal more because of it. Understanding the game is important to enjoying watching it. In a way, watching the World Cup or the Olympics is similar to watching just the playoffs in the NFL, MLB or the NBA. That's pretty much what I do. One thing I'll never understand are MLB fans complaining about soccer being boring. My god, in soccer, people run around constantly. They run into each other, draw blood and get injured. In MLB, all people do is stand around 95% of the time, and I'm saying that as a former baseball/softball player. When folks tell me I just don't understand the the strategy and nuances of MLB (I do), I point out that their problem with soccer is similar...
Earle,

As one who spent three years in the UK - and actually was introduced to soccer BEFORE I ever heard of the Crimson Tide - there is a certain level of agreement with you here because there IS a lot of standing around in baseball. I am assuming that the beef comes from the fact that most of the time it seems there's only three scores in soccer: 0-0, 1-0, and 1-1. It's been better this go around (and the stereotype is not "really" true) but it sure seems to be part of it. Yes, there's strategy (and I easily understood what was going on) in soccer, but the lack of scoring in most games is a lot of the beef.

By the same token - I don't really pay much attention to anything outside of football and - much lesser than I used to - baseball. I follow Ipswich Town from a distance in English soccer because they were the local team (and won the FA Cup in 1978 just three months before we left England - in fact, the coach lived next door to a classmate of mine and we got a tour of the stadium). But it's not something that really concerns my time; I pay zero attention to who even makes the Cup until the tournament starts.

The reason I hardly watch baseball is because they made the regular season virtually meaningless. I grew up on pennant races and yes - there were some years (1986 comes to mind) where all the divisions were blowouts. But usually there was at least one division that had a do-or-die race where you had to win. One of my fondest memories is the first weekend in Germany in 1982. We didn't have TV, all we had was Armed Forces radio. But there were two great pennant races going on, and hearing it made me use my imagination of what was going on as Milwaukee blew a three-game lead and then topped Baltimore and the Braves backed in when the Giants beat the Dodgers in the NL West.

But once they added the wildcard that ceased. Oh - and once they added this stupid play-in game (also known as the "Let's make sure Boston-the Yankees-Dodgers or Cardinals get in the playoffs"), my interest pretty much died.

The one thing that irked me (and I had to educate myself) in soccer was the offside rule - however, I did find it has changed since I was a kid to something more "proper." It's sort of like the infield fly rule in baseball - you HAVE to have it for the integrity of the game.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

And not to be parochial, Earle, but gotta get a big Huntsville shout-out in there for our German-Americans!
LOL! I notice that Bradley has just about conquered his German accent and now sounds like "one of the guys." But there'll be a lot of people around HSV with torn loyalties...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Funny - I played soccer for 12 seasons and still can't watch professional or World Cup soccer with any regularity. Watched the second half of tonights game - saw more flops that Duane Wade has in a season. Just completely ruins it for me.

"Ahh, I'm hurt, I'm dying, cart me off. OK, put me back in."

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Funny - I played soccer for 12 seasons and still can't watch professional or World Cup soccer with any regularity. Watched the second half of tonights game - saw more flops that Duane Wade has in a season. Just completely ruins it for me.

"Ahh, I'm hurt, I'm dying, cart me off. OK, put me back in."
Sorta like.......this?

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA

Soccer and hockey are two sports I don't follow probably due to the fact I know nothing of the rules or tactics. As for baseball I pitched and loved the fact that when on the mound I had a lot to do with how fast or slow the game was going to go.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Earle,

As one who spent three years in the UK - and actually was introduced to soccer BEFORE I ever heard of the Crimson Tide - there is a certain level of agreement with you here because there IS a lot of standing around in baseball. I am assuming that the beef comes from the fact that most of the time it seems there's only three scores in soccer: 0-0, 1-0, and 1-1. It's been better this go around (and the stereotype is not "really" true) but it sure seems to be part of it. Yes, there's strategy (and I easily understood what was going on) in soccer, but the lack of scoring in most games is a lot of the beef.

By the same token - I don't really pay much attention to anything outside of football and - much lesser than I used to - baseball. I follow Ipswich Town from a distance in English soccer because they were the local team (and won the FA Cup in 1978 just three months before we left England - in fact, the coach lived next door to a classmate of mine and we got a tour of the stadium). But it's not something that really concerns my time; I pay zero attention to who even makes the Cup until the tournament starts.

The reason I hardly watch baseball is because they made the regular season virtually meaningless. I grew up on pennant races and yes - there were some years (1986 comes to mind) where all the divisions were blowouts. But usually there was at least one division that had a do-or-die race where you had to win. One of my fondest memories is the first weekend in Germany in 1982. We didn't have TV, all we had was Armed Forces radio. But there were two great pennant races going on, and hearing it made me use my imagination of what was going on as Milwaukee blew a three-game lead and then topped Baltimore and the Braves backed in when the Giants beat the Dodgers in the NL West.

But once they added the wildcard that ceased. Oh - and once they added this stupid play-in game (also known as the "Let's make sure Boston-the Yankees-Dodgers or Cardinals get in the playoffs"), my interest pretty much died.

The one thing that irked me (and I had to educate myself) in soccer was the offside rule - however, I did find it has changed since I was a kid to something more "proper." It's sort of like the infield fly rule in baseball - you HAVE to have it for the integrity of the game.
Oddly enough, baseball, because of the amount of standing around, lent itself more to radio than any other game. Mel Allen and some of the "old heads" weren't even at the park. They were describing the action from a ticker tape. The worst is probably basketball, where the play by play guy has really got to think (and describe) fast to impart any idea of what is going on. Back to soccer, this next game could just be deadly dull. They both know that all they have to do is to tie. They both play the clockwork German system - no frequent wild breakaways, a la Portugal and Ghana. It could be the stereotypical game you mentioned. On the offsides, I counted at least four on Ronaldo. I know he's injured, but he certainly doesn't look like the best soccer player in the world, despite that last second assist. The only answer to that I saw would have been if Howard had come out of the net to cut down the angle, but that's a lot of ask, when it's coming at you that fast...

Aledinho

All-SEC
Feb 22, 2007

I had the exact same thought. When the ref blows his whistle to start the game, everyone should just sit down and play with there iPhones for the next 90 minutes.
In 1982, Austria and West Germany both knew they would advance if W. Germany won by less than 4 goals. So W. Germany scored a early goal and then both teams sat back and never attacked for 80 minutes. FIFA changed the rules so that the last game in the group happened simultaneously.

We should be all right. The only scenario that we really have to worry about is a US loss and Ghana win. US win or tie and we go through. Portugal and Ghana tie and we go through. Portugal wins and we lose with a combined goal differential of less than five and we go through. However, if Ghana wins and we lose, we need a goal differential of 2 (ie we lose by one and they win by one.) And they can only score one more goal than us on the match day.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL

Nah I don't like ties in college football or NFL. Win or lose, a tie solves nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.