Game Thread: USA vs. Portugal - and following World Cup scenario...

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Re: USA vs. Portugal...

I'm always amazed by people who claim to hate soccer posting in soccer threads... I'm left to suppose they feel their sport is being threatened and have to continually try to convice the rest of us that we shouldn't like soccer either.
I hope that is not aimed at me. I first played it in '62. I don't "hate" it............I am just not buying into the "it is exploding" hype, I have heard since the mid 70s.

If it is "exploding", then why do they have to come up with silly attempts to make MLS seem more like the international game? Calling the Dallas team "FC Dallas" means nothing to the average (maybe slightly Neanderthal) sports fan. When the guy who does the 10 PM news sports segment refers to the Salt Lake City team as "Real" Salt Lake City..............just like "Hellmann's Real Mayonnaise"............add that to my comment on FC Dallas.

OK, so maybe Tex Schramm was clever and coined the local heroes "America's Team". But trying to equate MLS teams to a European team reeks of desperation. It just falls flat.

So, if it was exploding, why resort to such silly gimmicks?

(BTW, I hate the local heroes. More so now that Jerruh owns them.)

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

OK, that's enough. You guys who want to post in a "I hate soccer" thread, take it over to NS and start a hate thread there. (Already been one, I think.) This is not the thread for it. Since we don't play for several days, I'm not inclined to start a fresh thread this early. I was going to leave this up as a general discussion thread of the WC, but it appears some of you just can't stand any talk about soccer without unburdening yourselves. This is not an invitation to an argument, because I'm not in the mood for it. I'm serious. No replies to this post...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Again, any post about the worth of, future of, watchability of, etc., etc., etc. needs to go in a new thread in NS. This thread is for discussion of the upcoming game with Germany...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Damn! He's a weapon we really need, but not if he can't run...
I agree, but if Bradley and Beasley can play effectively for the entire game, we have a chance. They both faded badly in the last 20 minutes of the Portugal game. Neither could maintain a possession or pass effectively. Their legs looked to be totally gone.

One thing is clear - the US squad has to play aggressively to win. When they have played soft against Ghana and Portugal, it cost them. We are too soft on the edges to get away with that against this level of competition,

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I kept waiting for a counter, and, as you said, the legs weren't there, no wonder with what they've put our players through with travel mileage and climate changes...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

For the convenience of those who want to debate about soccer, as opposed to discussing the games and the World Cup itself, I've created a thread on NS - "Is soccer about to explode?"

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Just a little FYI for you guys: if America advances to the round of 16 and wins, the next game will be on July 4. That has to equal a W and advancing to the semifinals.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
SI article talking about how it is possible for the ref to miss the Saurez biting.

http://www.si.com/soccer/planet-futbol/2014/06/25/referees-analysis-luis-suarez-bite-uruguay-italy

My personal opinion is that Dempsey bumped into Saurez during the opening ceremonies throwing him off balance and causing him to bite into Chiellini. No foul.
It was a quick jab, unlike one of the previous bites, when he dove down and grabbed the opponent's forearm like a bulldog. The victim was trying to shake him off exactly as one would try to parry a dog attack. That couldn't be missed. The last bite could have been missed by the ref shifting his eyes at the wrong time, probably towards the ball. Suarez may be a hot-headed sociopath, but he knew he was unlikely to be detected. I loved his explanation that the defender had shoved his shoulder into his mouth, when the video clearly showed otherwise. Sounded like some of the excuses my siblings used to use...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.