Game Thread: USA vs. Portugal - and following World Cup scenario...

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Well, it *is* soccer...

:biggrin:
They do make me laugh the way they roll around on the ground every time they get hurt. Then they bring the stretcher out for everything. I did see a guy get kicked with the ball today and I am pretty sure it broke his forearm. I am just guessing getting kicked in your ankles all the time would hurt. With all the fouls that take place you would think they would fight a little more. Maybe that whole red card and having to play one man short curtails the fights.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
They do make me laugh the way they roll around on the ground every time they get hurt. Then they bring the stretcher out for everything. I did see a guy get kicked with the ball today and I am pretty sure it broke his forearm. I am just guessing getting kicked in your ankles all the time would hurt. With all the fouls that take place you would think they would fight a little more. Maybe that whole red card and having to play one man short curtails the fights.
You've actually hit it. The vast majority of players aren't going to take a swing at someone, no matter how egregious the foul. As in other sports, the retaliation is what catches the ref's eye. In soccer, that red card could conceivably cost your team the World Cup, so you're just not going to see a punch thrown in return. People can control themselves, when the stakes are high enough. I'm excepting head cases like Suarez...

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I don't like the way the tie breakers work. If we finished tied with Ghana and they have a higher goal differential, they advance even though we won head to head.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
I don't like the way the tie breakers work. If we finished tied with Ghana and they have a higher goal differential, they advance even though we won head to head.
I noticed that, but those are the rules and all teams know that going in. If we took care of business, we wouldn't have had to worry about it. A near perfect pass from one of the best players and some tired legs on our defense caught us at the wrong time. 4 points after playing Ghana and Portugal isn't bad though.

Aledinho

All-SEC
Feb 22, 2007
I noticed that, but those are the rules and all teams know that going in. If we took care of business, we wouldn't have had to worry about it. A near perfect pass from one of the best players and some tired legs on our defense caught us at the wrong time. 4 points after playing Ghana and Portugal isn't bad though.
I don't mind goal differential being the 1st tie breaker but I would rather have head to head before goals scored.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
You've actually hit it. The vast majority of players aren't going to take a swing at someone, no matter how egregious the foul. As in other sports, the retaliation is what catches the ref's eye. In soccer, that red card could conceivably cost your team the World Cup, so you're just not going to see a punch thrown in return. People can control themselves, when the stakes are high enough. I'm excepting head cases like Suarez...
I don't watch hockey very much, but they were talking about how when the playoffs begin the fights stop because they know they need all of their players on the ice at the same time so they won't get outnumbered.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
According to the schedule they published today, kickoff is at 10:00 AM, CDT. Originally, I was hearing 12:00 EDT, which would be 11:00, of course. Just a caution for anyone else who saw the earlier announced time. Won't be easy for me to watch, but I'll see as much as I can. I have a friend who works for Lufthansa Cargo, out of Atlanta. She's half German. I've been teasing her about her loyalties. Presently, she has her hands and feet alternating with red, white and blue nails and gold, black and red. I asked her if Lufthansa were going to give the them the day off to watch and she said they were holding an "event," and giving them the time off during the game... :)

IGetBuckets

Suspended
Jan 13, 2014
According to the schedule they published today, kickoff is at 10:00 AM, CDT. Originally, I was hearing 12:00 EDT, which would be 11:00, of course. Just a caution for anyone else who saw the earlier announced time. Won't be easy for me to watch, but I'll see as much as I can. I have a friend who works for Lufthansa Cargo, out of Atlanta. She's half German. I've been teasing her about her loyalties. Presently, she has her hands and feet alternating with red, white and blue nails and gold, black and red. I asked her if Lufthansa were going to give the them the day off to watch and she said they were holding an "event," and giving them the time off during the game... :)
ESPN still has it at 11 AM Central

IGetBuckets

Suspended
Jan 13, 2014
Really? I watched their announced time twice to be sure tonight. Anyway, those of us trying to watch need to be on guard until we know for sure tomorrow. 11:00 would be worlds better for me...

Just saw it at 11 CDT on 2 different ESPN pages

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Just saw it at 11 CDT on 2 different ESPN pages
Sounds good. I'll still be looking at ESPN tomorrow to be sure. Tonight may have just been an anomaly. They had us at 11:00 EDT and the other game at 11:30 EDT. They didn't specify which was on ESPN2. I hope we're on the primary channel. My Comcast signal isn't the best and I'll have to watch on a different TV, if we're on Deuce...

Last edited:

IGetBuckets

Suspended
Jan 13, 2014
Sounds good. I'll still be looking at ESPN tomorrow to be sure. Tonight may have just been an anomaly. They had us at 11:00 EDT and the other game at 11:30 EDT. They didn't specify which was on ESPN2. I hope we're on the primary channel. My Comcast signal isn't the best and I'll have to watch on a different TV, if we're on Deuce...
Just looked at my channel guide, USA at 11 on ESPN, Portugal - Ghana at the same time on ESPN2. I will probabaly have to miss it from home but will keep up

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.