Game Thread: USA vs. Portugal - and following World Cup scenario...

Jordan54

1st Team
Aug 20, 2007
Gardendale, Al
Re: USA vs. Portugal...

It was a great 2nd half performance by our team until the last minute. I was on the edge of my seat until the end. Disappointing it ended in a tie. One minute they were saying it was one of our greatest victories and then Rinaldo came through. Lets hope for the best on Thursday.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Once it goes past the round robin group play to the knockout round (quarter finals), a game can't end with a tie. First a 30 minute extra period is allowed (not sudden death). Then it goes to a penalty kick shootout...

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

Once it goes past the round robin group play to the knockout round (quarter finals), a game can't end with a tie. First a 30 minute extra period is allowed (not sudden death). Then it goes to a penalty kick shootout...
iirc, the usa women won their wc title on a shootout after a scoreless 3 periods

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover

I was born in Birmingham in 1966. There were no soccer opportunities for me as a kid. I played all the sports in their season - baseball, football, basketball. I got to know soccer overseas living in Spain and Germany. I found it amazing that locals in Spain knew of clubs in other countries by name - Werder Bremen, Bayer Leverkusen, etc. It truly is the only world sport and it brings fans together from all countries. My boy plays soccer in Hoover and he just loves it. I like the fact that he gets a tremendous amount of exercise and little down time. Soccer has been an up and coming sport here in the US for 30 years now but I believe it is currently exploding. The rest of the world needs to brace themselves because the US National Team is going to be a powerhouse within the next decade. Klinsmann's success is just the beginning.

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK

Doesn't make it any less ridiculous. Especially when you see teams playing for the tie as that's all they need.
Just depends on your mindset. Suppose you could go all out in a Group Play game to get the win vs the tie but, as a result, your guys weren't as well rested for the next game (a knock out game)? Doesn't make much sense. You can't win the WC in group play.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA

Yeah, but Germany didn't make that last goal. It was a world-class pass by the best player in the world, although a bit hampered and by the young guy they brought in late just for his speed on offense. However, it's obvious to me that this team is considerably better than they've been rated...
we have a fantastic coach who also happens to be one of the greatest players to ever lace them up.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere

it's fine for many/most Americans to follow the sport every 4 years.

how many of us follow downhill skiing outside of the Olympics?
Yes, I love watching the downhill skiing during the Olympics. Those guys and gals are crazy going down the mountain that fast with only a helmet on.

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK

I was born in Birmingham in 1966........Soccer has been an up and coming sport here in the US for 30 years now but I believe it is currently exploding. The rest of the world needs to brace themselves because the US National Team is going to be a powerhouse within the next decade. Klinsmann's success is just the beginning.
I was born 5 years later and played soccer for about a decade and loved it. As much as I would like for this "exploding" to be happening, I disagree that it actually is. I used to read/hear the same things about soccer when I was playing through the late 70's and early 80's. I remember reading a stat several years ago that said something like 70%-80% of all US children under age (maybe 10 or 12) played soccer but only like 10% of kids 16+ still played. US kids just have too many other choices.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA

And ending in a tie? Ridiculous.
I grew up with the sport and I don't find ties in a format like this to be ridiculous.

that said, I have always found the shoot out a ridiculous way to end a game.

it would be like ending a tie basketball game with a free throw shooting contest or a football game with a field goal competition.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA

I was born 5 years later and played soccer for about a decade and loved it. As much as I would like for this "exploding" to be happening, I disagree that it actually is. I used to read/hear the same things about soccer when I was playing through the late 70's and early 80's. I remember reading a stat several years ago that said something like 70%-80% of all US children under age (maybe 10 or 12) played soccer but only like 10% of kids 16+ still played. US kids just have too many other choices.

no matter how much structured training we can provide, we will not produce players among the elites until the sport becomes a pick up game like basketball.

allen Iverson didn't learn his crossover at an AAU camp and Ronaldo didn't learn his foot skills at a training camp.

they each learned their moves "on the blacktop."

for those of us who grew up in the 70's and 80's following the sport, we can attest to the immense strides we have made nationally, but we've hit a wall developmentally.

although I played competitively until college, it wasn't until college that I started playing with guys that would get 4-6 people together, throw t-shirts on the ground for goals and play a game anywhere...in the yard, the street, a parking lot, a tennis court...anywhere...using a soccer ball, basketball, volleyball or even a bunch of shirts balled up together.

klinnsman understands this and is working to facilitate a less "American" way to bring kids up around the game.

he's a master of his craft and needs to be given time to implement his plan.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

no matter how much structured training we can provide, we will not produce players among the elites until the sport becomes a pick up game like basketball.

allen Iverson didn't learn his crossover at an AAU camp and Ronaldo didn't learn his foot skills at a training camp.

they each learned their moves "on the blacktop."

for those of us who grew up in the 70's and 80's following the sport, we can attest to the immense strides we have made nationally, but we've hit a wall developmentally.

although I played competitively until college, it wasn't until college that I started playing with guys that would get 4-6 people together, throw t-shirts on the ground for goals and play a game anywhere...in the yard, the street, a parking lot, a tennis court...anywhere...using a soccer ball, basketball, volleyball or even a bunch of shirts balled up together.

klinnsman understands this and is working to facilitate a less "American" way to bring kids up around the game.

he's a master of his craft and needs to be given time to implement his plan.
i never got the chance to play soccer growing up and hate that i missed it (it just wasn't an option in rural alabama in the 70s-80s). i regularly see pick up games all over atlanta and there used to be a huge recurring pick up game in the park in my neighborhood until the city made them stop.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

I grew up with the sport and I don't find ties in a format like this to be ridiculous.

that said, I have always found the shoot out a ridiculous way to end a game.

it would be like ending a tie basketball game with a free throw shooting contest or a football game with a field goal competition.
Yah, I grew up playing it as well - 12 years worth.

We had shootouts to avoid ties, but i agree there should be so,e extended game time first.

Either way, a tie feels like "oh well, we're out of time, I guess the game's over now"...

formersoldier71

All-American
May 9, 2004
Jasper, AL

it's fine for many/most Americans to follow the sport every 4 years.

how many of us follow downhill skiing outside of the Olympics?
I care about as much about the Olympics as I do soccer.
I remember as a kid in the '70s that soccer was going to be big in the U.S., oh, and the metric system, too. Believe it when I see it.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

atlanta is about to get an mls franchise (in 2017 i think) for the past few years, they have been doing exhibition matches (usually between latin american countries) at the georgia dome and every time they draw a massive crowd. there seems to be quite a bit of popularity here at least.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

I care about as much about the Olympics as I do soccer.
I remember as a kid in the '70s that soccer was going to be big in the U.S., oh, and the metric system, too. Believe it when I see it.
yes, we are standing boldly with myanmar and liberia in our effort to stop the onslaught of that horrific metric system

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas

I played soccer, back in the 60s, on the asphalt jungle, in the orphanage I spent several years in. Didn't care for it then, and nothing has changed. Been hearing "soccer is going to be big someday" since the 70s.

It isn't going to happen. There are too many other things for kids to do.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas

Nah I don't like ties in college football or NFL. Win or lose, a tie solves nothing.
Unless you are Nutter Dumber and Michigan State. In which case, it solves the problem of giving the NC to that team no one wanted to have it.

Besides................it was the game of the century!

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

I'm going to make a NS post and hope this thread doesn't end up on the NS board...

US kids have other choices mainly because soccer doesn't provide the opportunity for many like football or basketball or baseball or golf or track. Soccer isn't able to provide a way to college for many American kids. If that changes, soccer will become popular.

Click here for more

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL

Unless you are Nutter Dumber and Michigan State. In which case, it solves the problem of giving the NC to that team no one wanted to have it.

Besides................it was the game of the century!
Well thankfully Alabama has smashed both if those teams in the last 4 years. Much satisfaction that was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.