Spurrier: I don’t know if Saban has maxed out potentially as well as he could...

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
Re: Spurrier: I don’t know if Saban has maxed out potentially as well as he could...

On one hand he's done a great job at SC. SC has been very bad historically, and he's done a good job there period. No need to qualify that. Spurrier would be on the SEC Mt Rushmore (Neiland, Bryant, Spurrier and Saban). He's also got a point to some degree. More titles would be nice.

On the other hand, Saban has as many BCS national titles as every other active BCS coach. I'll repeat that: Saban has as many BCS titles as every other active BCS coach. Maybe we shoulda had 5 titles. I'll settle for the best run in modern football history.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
Re: Steve Spurrier says Nick Saban has maxed out on Alabama's potential

This is like the guy who struck out with the bases loaded in the last inning saying, "the pitcher really wasn't that good".
Ridiculous. Grow up Stevie.
sip
Or a football locker room quote by a team that lost 49-0; "we beat ourselves."

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

He's pathetically obsessed with the fact that he has been passed by.

Passed by Urban Meyer at Florida and passed by Nick Saban on the national scene. I'm not amused by Spurrier anymore, whether he's joking or serious.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Re: Spurrier: I don’t know if Saban has maxed out potentially as well as he could...

Spurrier on his attempt at greatness...

Plus his only NC came after a voter orchestrated Bowl redo after FSU beat him in their last game of the regular season
It wasn't a voter orchestrated redo, it was simple:

1) Florida State - no bowl obligation, wants to play the highest ranked bowl team because...
2) Arizona State - undefeated, obligated to Rose Bowl against one-loss Ohio State
3) Florida - moved up because #3 Nebraska lost to Texas and obligated to the Sugar Bowl
4) Ohio St - obligated to the Rose Bowl, chance for the championship if they beat ASU and Florida narrowly wins
5) BYU - snubbed, wound up in Cotton Bowl
6) Nebraska - Orange Bowl (not sure of the obligation there)

If Nebraska had beaten Texas, they would have met Florida State in either the Orange or the Fiesta Bowl. Once they lost, Florida State needed to take on the highest ranked team, which just happened to be Florida.

Yes, Florida won the 1996 national title because Ohio State, Arizona State, and Nebraska all lost and they won a rematch with Florida St. If you can explain to me how this is any different than 2011 Alabama, I'll be glad to consider it. But don't make comments that are simply incorrect as if the voters had anything to do with it. There were four one-loss teams besides Ohio State (Rose Bowl) at the end of the championship Saturday: Florida, BYU, Va Tech, and Army. Florida played the toughest schedule in the nation and plowed nine-win Alabama, 45-30, in the SECCG.

Florida was the best team in college football in 1996. Even their loss to FSU was a joke. Go watch the game. Florida should have won the first one but got a bunch of bad breaks.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Btw - I have the regular season game on, and Keith Jackson has just said Florida State would clinch a berth in the Sugar Bowl if they beat Florida, which they did.

He was also clear that that was the 1996 Bowl Alliance Championship game (the BCS precursor)

IGetBuckets

Suspended
Jan 13, 2014

It wasn't a voter orchestrated redo, it was simple:

1) Florida State - no bowl obligation, wants to play the highest ranked bowl team because...
2) Arizona State - undefeated, obligated to Rose Bowl against one-loss Ohio State
3) Florida - moved up because #3 Nebraska lost to Texas and obligated to the Sugar Bowl
4) Ohio St - obligated to the Rose Bowl, chance for the championship if they beat ASU and Florida narrowly wins
5) BYU - snubbed, wound up in Cotton Bowl
6) Nebraska - Orange Bowl (not sure of the obligation there)

If Nebraska had beaten Texas, they would have met Florida State in either the Orange or the Fiesta Bowl. Once they lost, Florida State needed to take on the highest ranked team, which just happened to be Florida.

Yes, Florida won the 1996 national title because Ohio State, Arizona State, and Nebraska all lost and they won a rematch with Florida St. If you can explain to me how this is any different than 2011 Alabama, I'll be glad to consider it. But don't make comments that are simply incorrect as if the voters had anything to do with it. There were four one-loss teams besides Ohio State (Rose Bowl) at the end of the championship Saturday: Florida, BYU, Va Tech, and Army. Florida played the toughest schedule in the nation and plowed nine-win Alabama, 45-30, in the SECCG.

Florida was the best team in college football in 1996. Even their loss to FSU was a joke. Go watch the game. Florida should have won the first one but got a bunch of bad breaks.
I watched the game when it was played. FSU hammered on Wuerffel. They were given a disservice by having to win the NC playing their in-state rival for a second straight time.

2011 is different because it was under the BCS formula.

Jordan54

1st Team
Aug 20, 2007
Gardendale, Al

Spurrier had a great run at Florida in the 90's. 1 National title and he had every great player in the state of Florida to choose from. Let's talk about someone that did not max out potentially as well as he could. I wish Steve and Urban would get over themselves and keep quiet.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

On one hand he's done a great job at SC. SC has been very bad historically, and he's done a good job there period. No need to qualify that. Spurrier would be on the SEC Mt Rushmore (Neiland, Bryant, Spurrier and Saban). He's also got a point to some degree. More titles would be nice.
Yup, agree 100%. No matter what, he's built a perennial cellar-dweller into a competitor...

On the other hand, Saban has as many BCS national titles as every other active BCS coach. I'll repeat that: Saban has as many BCS titles as every other active BCS coach. Maybe we shoulda had 5 titles. I'll settle for the best run in modern football history.
That hadn't registered with me until you posted it - that's simply amazing. I think most of us will tai ea few years / a decade to really understand how good we have it with Saban at the helm. Thanks for posting this.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

He's pathetically obsessed with the fact that he has been passed by.

Passed by Urban Meyer at Florida and passed by Nick Saban on the national scene. I'm not amused by Spurrier anymore, whether he's joking or serious.
I agree with this. I don't think it's good natured at all. I think it's waspish and unbefitting manly behavior. He just can't endure standing in Saban's shadow and knowing he'll be there as a footnote for he rest of his career (and afterwards)...

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011

He's saying what CNS has done isn't that impressive considering all the number one recruiting classes, that based on the recruiting rankings we should be number one every year. He's undermining the job CNS has done as a coach and attributing his success primarily to top recruiting classes.
which of course completely discounts the fact that coach saban works his tail off to get the #1 recruiting class. recruiting them is just as much a part of the college job as coaching them...

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

SOS isn't "gigging" Coach Saban in a good natured, friendly way. He wants it to seem that way, but he is simply trolling. Spurrier use to be funny, but his act is getting old.

Remember in the 90's when he was at UF, Steve could pull in top 5 recruiting with a 3 hour radius of Gainesville. He could spend his time on the golf course. Remember also that Saban a much tougher SEC west schedule in his years at Alabama.

And Saban has never been embarrassed in an SEC Championship game by getting clocked by his opponent by almost 40 points. Wonder if Coach Superior had wished he would have spent a few more hours preparing his team after that one?

REBELZED

All-American
Dec 6, 2006

which of course completely discounts the fact that coach saban works his tail off to get the #1 recruiting class. recruiting them is just as much a part of the college job as coaching them...
This is exactly what I was going to say. Spurrier acts like #1 recruiting classes just magically fall into Coach Saban's lap.

Joking or not, it's just plain silly for Spurrier to act like Coach Saban could have slacked off and been just as successful. All those #1 recruiting classes are a RESULT of all Coach's hard work and long hours, and it's discrediting and borderline disrespectful for Spurrier to suggest otherwise...

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama

Well at least Spurrier owns his own comments. Of course, I could point out numerous things:

1) He's in South Carolina, where a nine-win season is more celebrated than an Alabama national title. If Spurrier was still at Florida and calling it in like he is now, he'd be gone after a couple of 7-5 seasons.

2) He's counting SEC titles because he won four in a row with one QB (93-96). Of course if Saban had the luxury of only having two tough division opponents like SOS did then (SC, KY, and Vandy were automatic wins as not only was Spurrier 30-0 but most were not even challenges) as opposed to the SEC West juggernaut (THREE national titles in the last 10 years that were NOT Alabama) then maybe he'd have more SEC titles. Fact is that Spurrier has been there a decade now, has only one division title, no SEC titles, and he's had the luxury of Florida and Tennessee both imploding the last couple of years.

Think about it: Missouri has as many SEC East titles as Spurrier (at SC), and they've only played 16 conference games.

Back in 1997, pundits were liberally comparing Spurrier to Coach Bryant. With the sole exception of his five straight division titles (with 4 SEC championships), the very comparison is laughable.

Not so laughable anymore? Saban to Bryant.
Except he's won 11 games in three straight seasons. At South Carolina.

There's no denying that what he has done there is phenomenal. His work the last ten years is only overshadowed...by...oh wait...Nick Saban.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

It will be interesting to see which coach retires first, or with a shorter coaching career.

According to SOS, he's got a longer shelf life than Saban because Saban burns the candle from both ends. SOS takes it easy, and should last longer.

I guess we will see, eventually. I'm not sure how they match up currently as far as how long each has been coaching, relative to their age.

In defense of SOS, my take is that he's been loyal to the USC fanbase, and hasn't had them worrying over him job hopping.

Last edited:

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC

There's no denying that what he has done there is phenomenal. His work the last ten years is only overshadowed...by...oh wait...Nick Saban.
I agree with this I think some are selling the job Spurrier has done at USCe a little short. Living in Columbia and talking to older fans it is simply amazing the turnaround that he has brought about. I think he's a phenomenal coach and one of the few that can go up against Saban and just outscheme our defense. The beating we took in 2010 was the worst that I've seen where I can't really blame it on anything Bama really did, we just got dominated.

Having said all that I just don't agree with his point. Maybe we should have another sec championship but 2 SEC and 3 National championships in a 6 year span (I hardly count 07) is probably as good as you can expect number one class or not. I mean look at what Pete Carroll did at USC when he was hauling in recruiting classes like us. He didn't match the success we are having and he wasn't in the toughest division in the toughest conference in the country.

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK

I agree with this I think some are selling the job Spurrier has done at USCe a little short. Living in Columbia and talking to older fans it is simply amazing the turnaround that he has brought about. I think he's a phenomenal coach and one of the few that can go up against Saban and just outscheme our defense. The beating we took in 2010 was the worst that I've seen where I can't really blame it on anything Bama really did, we just got dominated.

Having said all that I just don't agree with his point. Maybe we should have another sec championship but 2 SEC and 3 National championships in a 6 year span (I hardly count 07) is probably as good as you can expect number one class or not. I mean look at what Pete Carroll did at USC when he was hauling in recruiting classes like us. He didn't match the success we are having and he wasn't in the toughest division in the toughest conference in the country.
IMHO, once you understand the 1st part of your statement--which I completely agree with--then you have to understand that the 2nd part just isn't true.

To say that CSS is upset that he's been "passed" by CNS or because he isn't the media darling anymore is to assume that CSS gives an iota what sports writers and/or fans outside of Columbia, SC think. I just can't imagine that he does. CSS has always been his own guy and, from what I've seen/read, he doesn't much care what anybody thinks. CSS won a Heisman, he has made 2 different SEC schools winners that were not winners when he got there. He's won a NC. His Gators fielded an offense that just terrorized people. His defenses were fast, violent, aggressive and smothering. CSS doesn't need anyone to prop him up or coax his ego. CSS is in no way intimidated by CNS. CSS doesn't want to be CNS. And that's OK.....and it isn't a slight against CNS.

IMHO, if the above is true--and I believe it is--then it would make zero sense to assume that his comments were somehow a cheap shot at CNS. I think drama is being fabricated here where none really exists.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
Spurrier likes to hear himself talk, and he likes to take shots at people. This is nothing new, but to say people making up the fact he was taking a shot at CNS is just wrong. He was just doing what he does.
There's no doubt that Spurrier has done well at USCe, but everybody needs to keep that in context. He has done what he has done in the 4 years with Florida and Tennessee in shambles. Vandy has recently went to back to back bowls for much of the same reason. Saban has done what he has in the West with LSU, AU, and even somewhat Arky, at historically some of the best periods in their history. If you had said in 1999 that LSU would have won 2 NC's and played for another, AU would have won 1 NC and played for another, and Arky would have had back to back 11 win seasons while being in the SEC, you would have been laughed at. If you go back to 08-09, you have to consider that Saban was playing Florida at their best run in school history (Florida was beating Spurrier at that point). Saban may only have 2 SEC championships, but he has had to coach against the SEC in the greatest period any conference has ever had in the history of the sport! Spurrier has accomplished what he has in the East that has it's two most successful teams in shambles since 2010, and even still, he has the same number of SEC championships at USCe as I do.
Spurrier beat the SEC East champion this lady year, and didn't play in the SECCG because he lost to a horrible Tennessee team with a losing record.

What was that about potential there, Steve?

IMHO, once you understand the 1st part of your statement--which I completely agree with--then you have to understand that the 2nd part just isn't true.

To say that CSS is upset that he's been "passed" by CNS or because he isn't the media darling anymore is to assume that CSS gives an iota what sports writers and/or fans outside of Columbia, SC think. I just can't imagine that he does. CSS has always been his own guy and, from what I've seen/read, he doesn't much care what anybody thinks. CSS won a Heisman, he has made 2 different SEC schools winners that were not winners when he got there. He's won a NC. His Gators fielded an offense that just terrorized people. His defenses were fast, violent, aggressive and smothering. CSS doesn't need anyone to prop him up or coax his ego. CSS is in no way intimidated by CNS. CSS doesn't want to be CNS. And that's OK.....and it isn't a slight against CNS.

IMHO, if the above is true--and I believe it is--then it would make zero sense to assume that his comments were somehow a cheap shot at CNS. I think drama is being fabricated here where none really exists.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

Steve Spurrier is as egotistical as they come. The thing about ego maniacs - they absolutely do care how everyone else views them.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

There's something else he left out.
When he was at Florida they had way way way more talent than any team in the SEC.
The talent level or differential, for that time, may have been more one sided than how Bama's is perceived in many circles today.
Still, one national title in his entire career there while Saban has won three in just seven years.
I like Spurrier but he really should have kept his mouth shut on this one.
He's a great coach though. I'll give him that.
sip

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

I agree that what he has done at USCe has been remarkable, but I would still take Miles or Meyer over Spurrier in a second. If not for Saban, they would be the coaches with many more BCS championships on their resume, not Spurrier.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.