Spurrier: I don’t know if Saban has maxed out potentially as well as he could...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Re: Spurrier: I don’t know if Saban has maxed out potentially as well as he could...

Who would you rather have as head coach - Coach Spurrier or Coach Kiffen?

(assuming Coach Saban retires and these 2 are your choices)
Who is that? Never heard of him.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Re: Spurrier: I don’t know if Saban has maxed out potentially as well as he could...

He has a point...seriously. There is a fine line between covering all the bases and working so hard that you lose your edge, i.e., your ability to analyze and make appropriate changes. It's the old "forest for the trees" syndrome and any "achiever" has been there. Where that point lies is at different places for different people...but we all have a point. When it is a job and no longer enjoyment -- that's a warning sign. I think, with all the pressures and interruptions, CNS may have been getting there last year. This month of June may be the best month of all for him.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

Let me put it this way, when Saban got off of the plane in 2007, has he exceeded your greatest expectations at the time? He certainly has for me.
This is a great observation. I remember, after Spurrier took over at Florida and brought his Emmitt Smith led team to Tuscaloosa and beat Bama(can't recall the score). It wasn't his first year, it was his second or third-BUT, he attributed, in the media, that win to be the biggest moment in Florida's, "turning the corner". And he then KNEW, "If we could beat a program like Alabama, on the road, that we had finally arrived". I remember it like yesterday.
Heck, by Saban's third year he was holding up a Crystal Football.
Spurrier's a great football coach, but he, nor anybody else is in the same league with Coach Saban.
sip

IGetBuckets

Suspended
Jan 13, 2014

This is a great observation. I remember, after Spurrier took over at Florida and brought his Emmitt Smith led team to Tuscaloosa and beat Bama(can't recall the score). It wasn't his first year, it was his second or third-BUT, he attributed, in the media, that win to be the biggest moment in Florida's, "turning the corner". And he then KNEW, "If we could beat a program like Alabama, on the road, that we had finally arrived". I remember it like yesterday.
Heck, by Saban's third year he was holding up a Crystal Football.
Spurrier's a great football coach, but he, nor anybody else is in the same league with Coach Saban.
sip
That game was in 1990, and UF won 17-13, off a blocked punt. The game with Emmitt was in 1987, he tore us up.

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA

I personally don't see the reason for the negative reactions. He is saying that he doesn't believe that Saban has reached his full potential yet, thus he is saying that Saban will likely be MORE successful in the future than he has in the past. Let's be honest; we also expected more accomplishments during each season that we didn't win one of the championships.

in 2008, we were the undefeated team that had been just destroying every opponent. When we faced Florida, I thought we would win and then win the NC because no one had even really been competitive against us that season. The disappointment of losing the SEC championship was then compounded when the Tide basically threw in the towel in the Sugar Bowl.

In 2010, we had everything (returning Sr. QB, returning Heisman RB, another RB that many thought was actually better than the Heisman winner, an NFL quality receiver, and most of the OL was back) that most people consider to be the criteria for a championship team and we just didn't show up for some games that season.

In 2011, we arguably outplayed LSU in the annual Game of the Century, but red zone ineffectiveness lost the game for us. That cost us the SEC championship that season, but we got the rematch, shut down LSU, and took the NC right from the uncaring Honey Badger.

Last year was supposed to be the crowning achievement for AJ, but the team faltered at the end. Before the barn game, most Bama fans were probably finalizing their travel plans for the BCSCG. As in 2008, disappointment was just compounded by the bowl game loss.

Most great teams that fail to achieve the glories that were expected of them can often attribute the shortfall to the loss of key players due to injury or other reasons. We have arguably the most talented overall team in college football year after year, but it seems that in some games they just don't show up or they are distracted. If one judged by talent alone, we should have taken the crystal football home every year.

i think that Spurrier might have some basis for his assertion that Saban might sometimes overdo the planning. There are several games where opposing teams broke their tendencies in a game against Bama (UF IN 2011, LSU in 2012, OU in 2014) and we look completely disconcerted and the other team has unexpected success. Usually, Saban and Smart are able to make adjustments and then we begin to stifle their efforts. It almost seems that Saban has so completely based his defense on his extensive planning that he can't easily get the defensive players to switch gears and effectively react to the altered tactical situation. In most cases, however, they eventually adapt and play well, proving that the excellent talent is sufficient in most cases to provide the effort needed to win even when the plan comes to naught.

I think that Saban's greatest talent is teaching the tactics of defense: recognizing formations even when offenses try mightily to disguise them, determining route patterns that may attempt to disrupt the coverage assignments, anticipating a particular play (especially audibles) and being able to adjust at the last second to defend it, and changing up coverage assignments on the fly when an opportunity arises. Plans are fine if the opponent follows it, but it can become a liability if too much emphasis is placed upon it.

Everybody's got a plan until they get punched in the mouth. Then instincts, teaching, and skill takes over.

Wanderer

Suspended
Jun 24, 2014

When discussing college head coaches, I think there are two distinct ways of looking at it:

#1. Building a program infrastructure. This includes hiring coaches, recruiting, etc.

#2. Hands-on coaching. This includes teaching fundamentals, X's and O's, etc.

There are plenty of coaches who have made a living by being good at one and mediocre at the other. Dabo Swinney of Clemson has recruited very well and hired coaches who are better than him to tie it all together. I think Les Miles is similar at least so far as sustaining a program. Would any of you want Swinney or Miles coordinating your team's O or D? Not really.

On the flip side, I think Gus Malzahn is an excellent X's and O's coach, and he may turn out to be a great program builder as well. The latter remains to be seen, but the former is certainly true. I think Spurrier fits in this category to some extent. Even in his prime Florida years, I don't think his teams had the kind of all-around dominance that Florida State and Miami were able to achieve at their peak. But I don't think there's any question he was a better pure coach than Bowden, Coker, Davis, Erickson, etc.

And then you have coaches like Saban who are great at both. However, I do believe that if Saban is a 10/10 coach that 6 of it is for program building (mainly recruiting) and 4 is for his actual coaching ability. Alabama is a well-coached team, but I don't think he is the guy I would choose to coach a ragtag underdog and overachieve with it. I don't think his offensive style is suited to moving the ball effectively against superior defensive talent.

As for Spurrier's comment specifically, it's hard to say that a coach who has won three national titles in his seven years has underachieved. However, there have been some head scratching moments at times and the 2011 and 2012 teams (while the best in the country) were lucky to get second chances. That doesn't always happen. So no, I don't think Saban has underachieved even if you look at purely from the standpoint as if he were "handed" the best talent every year, but he hasn't been perfect either. There are plenty of games in recent years that Bama has lost that they should have won.

Last edited:

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
Re: Steve Spurrier says Nick Saban has maxed out on Alabama's potential

Spurrier's act is getting a little tired. <yawn>.
I totally agree. Everyone always gives Spurrier a pass on his mouth. Who cares what he thinks of Coach Saban's work ethic? If this was reversed and CNS said Spurrier doesn't work hard enough and plays too much golf, can you imagine the uproar?
Mind your on business Steve, if coach wants your input, he will call. RTR!

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I personally don't see the reason for the negative reactions. He is saying that he doesn't believe that Saban has reached his full potential yet, thus he is saying that Saban will likely be MORE successful in the future than he has in the past. Let's be honest; we also expected more accomplishments during each season that we didn't win one of the championships.

in 2008, we were the undefeated team that had been just destroying every opponent. When we faced Florida, I thought we would win and then win the NC because no one had even really been competitive against us that season. The disappointment of losing the SEC championship was then compounded when the Tide basically threw in the towel in the Sugar Bowl.

In 2010, we had everything (returning Sr. QB, returning Heisman RB, another RB that many thought was actually better than the Heisman winner, an NFL quality receiver, and most of the OL was back) that most people consider to be the criteria for a championship team and we just didn't show up for some games that season.

In 2011, we arguably outplayed LSU in the annual Game of the Century, but red zone ineffectiveness lost the game for us. That cost us the SEC championship that season, but we got the rematch, shut down LSU, and took the NC right from the uncaring Honey Badger.

Last year was supposed to be the crowning achievement for AJ, but the team faltered at the end. Before the barn game, most Bama fans were probably finalizing their travel plans for the BCSCG. As in 2008, disappointment was just compounded by the bowl game loss.

Most great teams that fail to achieve the glories that were expected of them can often attribute the shortfall to the loss of key players due to injury or other reasons. We have arguably the most talented overall team in college football year after year, but it seems that in some games they just don't show up or they are distracted. If one judged by talent alone, we should have taken the crystal football home every year.

i think that Spurrier might have some basis for his assertion that Saban might sometimes overdo the planning. There are several games where opposing teams broke their tendencies in a game against Bama (UF IN 2011, LSU in 2012, OU in 2014) and we look completely disconcerted and the other team has unexpected success. Usually, Saban and Smart are able to make adjustments and then we begin to stifle their efforts. It almost seems that Saban has so completely based his defense on his extensive planning that he can't easily get the defensive players to switch gears and effectively react to the altered tactical situation. In most cases, however, they eventually adapt and play well, proving that the excellent talent is sufficient in most cases to provide the effort needed to win even when the plan comes to naught.

I think that Saban's greatest talent is teaching the tactics of defense: recognizing formations even when offenses try mightily to disguise them, determining route patterns that may attempt to disrupt the coverage assignments, anticipating a particular play (especially audibles) and being able to adjust at the last second to defend it, and changing up coverage assignments on the fly when an opportunity arises. Plans are fine if the opponent follows it, but it can become a liability if too much emphasis is placed upon it.

Everybody's got a plan until they get punched in the mouth. Then instincts, teaching, and skill takes over.
You're too kind. Re-read what he said. He's actually saying that CNS should have done better with the talent at his disposal. And, as I said much earlier, he totally discounts the ability and hard work it takes to keep those #1 classes rolling in. He, personally, has always hated recruiting...

IGetBuckets

Suspended
Jan 13, 2014

I personally don't see the reason for the negative reactions. He is saying that he doesn't believe that Saban has reached his full potential yet, thus he is saying that Saban will likely be MORE successful in the future than he has in the past. Everybody's got a plan until they get punched in the mouth. Then instincts, teaching, and skill takes over
NOT EVEN CLOSE to what he said, much less intimating

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL

You're too kind. Re-read what he said. He's actually saying that CNS should have done better with the talent at his disposal. And, as I said much earlier, he totally discounts the ability and hard work it takes to keep those #1 classes rolling in. He, personally, has always hated recruiting...
Well he had it so much easier at UF. All during (most of) the 90's Miami was down and FSU was his only competition for recruits but since that state is so big and loaded with D1 prospects, both schools could get who they wanted for the most part. The whole landscape has changed in the last 15-20 years now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wanderer

Suspended
Jun 24, 2014

Let's answer the question strictly from a coaching perspective, which is Spurrier's point. Given the talent that he has had during his Bama tenure, how good a job do you all think Saban has done on the field since 2007? And if Spurrier had been coaching at UA since 2007 with all of the same players (Julio, Ingram, Richardson, Hightower, etc.) do you think he would have won more games than Saban?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Let's answer the question strictly from a coaching perspective, which is Spurrier's point. Given the talent that he has had during his Bama tenure, how good a job do you all think Saban has done on the field since 2007? And if Spurrier had been coaching at UA since 2007 with all of the same players (Julio, Ingram, Richardson, Hightower, etc.) do you think he would have won more games than Saban?
I personally don't agree with Spurrier and Saban's record proves it...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

SOS would have more than 15 losses. He would have own plenty, but he wouldn't be as successful as CNS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

With those same players, Spurrier would likely have at least 2 BCS championships. He is a great coach at the college level - great, not good. But he would not have been able to attract all of those players. Ingram, for instance, would not have come to Alabama for Spurrier. Ingram went to Alabama because Saban coached his father at MSU and maintained a relationship with Ingram's entire family through all of his father's legal problems.

Spurrier would have recruited better at Alabama than he has at USCe because it is Alabama, but he would not have recruited as well as Nick Saban has - he simply doesn't have the work ethic. Nick Saban and Alabama are a perfect combination of a school and fan base that expect too much and a coach who expects more, and works even harder.

Wanderer

Suspended
Jun 24, 2014

Let me say first of all that if I were the AD of a power program (Bama, USC, Texas, Florida, etc.) and had my choice of hiring any coach in the country, it would be Saban. But I don't necessarily think that what he has done with the talent he has acquired (and I give him due credit for acquiring that talent b/c that is perhaps the most important part of the job) has been beyond what some other coaches could have done. Every single year (except for '09) Bama has lost at least one game it shouldn't have: '07 ULM; '08 Utah; '10 South Carolina, LSU and Auburn (one or all of those); '11 LSU; '12 A&M, '13 Auburn and OU.

In the last four years Bama has been the favorite (often heavy favorite) in every game and lost seven of them. Taking the recruiting aspect out of it and looking at pure coaching on the field with the talent on hand, I think there are other coaches out there who could have kept Bama's losses at seven in the last four years. Saban is only 4-5 in games decided by 10 pts. or less in the last four years. Of the 46 games Bama has won in that span, 37 have been by 20 pts. or more. That tells me two things: 1) Bama hasn't done that well in close games and 2) there have been a lot of games where the talent discrepancy was so large that coaching wasn't really a factor in the outcome.

Just my opinion.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

Let me say first of all that if I were the AD of a power program (Bama, USC, Texas, Florida, etc.) and had my choice of hiring any coach in the country, it would be Saban. But I don't necessarily think that what he has done with the talent he has acquired (and I give him due credit for acquiring that talent b/c that is perhaps the most important part of the job) has been beyond what some other coaches could have done. Every single year (except for '09) Bama has lost at least one game it shouldn't have: '07 ULM; '08 Utah; '10 South Carolina, LSU and Auburn (one or all of those); '11 LSU; '12 A&M, '13 Auburn and OU.

In the last four years Bama has been the favorite (often heavy favorite) in every game and lost seven of them. Taking the recruiting aspect out of it and looking at pure coaching on the field with the talent on hand, I think there are other coaches out there who could have kept Bama's losses at seven in the last four years. Saban is only 4-5 in games decided by 10 pts. or less in the last four years. Of the 46 games Bama has won in that span, 37 have been by 20 pts. or more. That tells me two things: 1) Bama hasn't done that well in close games and 2) there have been a lot of games where the talent discrepancy was so large that coaching wasn't really a factor in the outcome.

Just my opinion.
So you think we should go undefeated every year? That's unrealistic. Takes a lot of injury luck/overall luck along with a manageable schedule to go undefeated. Especially when it makes the other teams whole year to beat us. And the season in 2010 with 3 losses every team we played just about had a bye before they played us. 3 BCS titles in 7 years man. Do you really expect 6 or 7 national championships in 7 years?

Last edited:

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere

So you think we should go undefeated every year? That's unrealistic. Takes a lot of injury luck/overall luck along with a manageable schedule to go undefeated. Especially when it makes the others teams whole year to beat us. And the season in 2010 with 3 losses every team we played just about had a bye before they played us. 3 BCS titles in 7 years man. Do you really expect 6 or 7 national championships in 7 years?
My thoughts exactly. We can't win them all so when we do we will all try to nitpick everything that happened in those games we lost. If underachieving is winning three national championships in seven years I hope Coach Saban underachieves for seven more years and wins three or four more titles.

Wanderer

Suspended
Jun 24, 2014

No, I don't think Bama should go undefeated and win a national championship every year. However, I do think that Bama has lost more games the last four years than they should have.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.