Spurrier: I don’t know if Saban has maxed out potentially as well as he could...

Wanderer

Suspended
Jun 24, 2014
Re: Spurrier: I don’t know if Saban has maxed out potentially as well as he could...

Not necessarily.

UT has a winning tradition and I've got more resources than they do.
Some programs clearly stand above others. Alabama has had many coaches (even bad coaches) win 10+ games at least one time. How many times has South Carolina posted 10 wins outside the Spurrier years? Once. And Spurrier has done it three times.

It makes a big difference where you're coaching.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Re: Spurrier: I don’t know if Saban has maxed out potentially as well as he could...

Since Alabama has more tradition, shouldn't that mean CNS shouldn't recruit as hard as he does and SOS should recruit harder?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exactly. That's a no brainer, and I was wondering the same thing.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

Just flash that NC ring, wink, and tell the recruit..."How'd you like one of these, kid?"

Seriously - no doubt about Coach Saban's work ethic. Regardless of what others may say...it's pretty much a forgone conclusion, I'd say.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

Just flash that NC ring, wink, and tell the recruit..."How'd you like one of these, kid?"

Seriously - no doubt about Coach Saban's work ethic. Regardless of what others may say...it's pretty much a forgone conclusion, I'd say.
Joe Namath, once asked about what made Coach Bryant so good replied, "It really was kind of simple. He'd just put his nose to the grind stone and outwork everybody else".

I think that's where coach Saban is very similar to Bryant and where Spurrier isn't.

Wanderer

Suspended
Jun 24, 2014

Joe Namath, once asked about what made Coach Bryant so good replied, "It really was kind of simple. He'd just put his nose to the grind stone and outwork everybody else".

I think that's where coach Saban is very similar to Bryant and where Spurrier isn't.
Let Saban go to Mississippi State and "outwork" everyone else and let's see how many championships that produces.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama

Let Saban go to Mississippi State and "outwork" everyone else and let's see how many championships that produces.
I don't think anyone is suggesting that CNS would do what MSU what he's done at UA. In fact, at MSU, he would have done about what he did at MSU.

Wanderer

Suspended
Jun 24, 2014

I don't think anyone is suggesting that CNS would do what MSU what he's done at UA. In fact, at MSU, he would have done about what he did at MSU.
If that's case, then it isn't necessarily just hard work (and he probably doesn't work any more hours than a lot of college coaches - and certainly not to a significant degree) making the difference.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

If that's case, then it isn't necessarily just hard work (and he probably doesn't work any more hours than a lot of college coaches - and certainly not to a significant degree) making the difference.
Yes, it takes a lot more than hard work to be successful - but that is a great starting point.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

CNS doesn't wear them. says that he keeps them lined up on the coffee table at home for recruits to see...

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina

Baloney. I personally know 2 assistant coaches that worked for Coach Saban and they both say 2 common things...he is the absolute best and works longer and harder than anyone they have ever been associated with. In some cases it is more than some assistants can take (usually family time related).

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Baloney. I personally know 2 assistant coaches that worked for Coach Saban and they both say 2 common things...he is the absolute best and works longer and harder than anyone they have ever been associated with. In some cases it is more than some assistants can take (usually family time related).
He twice tried to hire Dabo (something I didn't favor), before he became an HC. CDS was right up front about saying he turned the offers down because he wanted at least some time with his family...

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

When Coach Saban took the LSU job their program was in worse shape than Mississippi State's is now. When he took over our program we were in worse shape than LSU was before he took over.
The guy's going to win and win big and it doesn't matter who he's coaching, where they are, or what the name of their school is.
sip

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA

In the last four years Bama has been the favorite (often heavy favorite) in every game and lost seven of them. Taking the recruiting aspect out of it and looking at pure coaching on the field with the talent on hand, I think there are other coaches out there who could have kept Bama's losses at seven in the last four years. Saban is only 4-5 in games decided by 10 pts. or less in the last four years. Of the 46 games Bama has won in that span, 37 have been by 20 pts. or more. That tells me two things: 1) Bama hasn't done that well in close games and 2) there have been a lot of games where the talent discrepancy was so large that coaching wasn't really a factor in the outcome.

Just my opinion.
And how do these last four years for Saban at Bama compare to Spurrier's 4 best years at Florida? That's pretty close to apples to apples as far as resources and talent go. Looks awfully similar with one exception. Spurrier won more SEC championships and Saban won more National Championships; and only Saban was able to field an undefeated team during their best four year periods.

Wanderer

Suspended
Jun 24, 2014

Yes, it takes a lot more than hard work to be successful - but that is a great starting point.
Almost all coaches have a great work ethic. But there's a great work ethic that gets things done in an efficient and productive way and moves on to a regular life and then there's grinding and putting in time pretty much just for the sake of doing so. Maybe Saban has a touch of the latter. I don't know. I don't know how many hours Saban works, and I don't know how much of that time (as Spurrier, a very successful coach in his own right, alluded to) is really necessary.

I do know that a lot of coaches get to the office at 6:00 AM (or earlier) and leave at 11:00 PM (or later). Those seem to be routine hours in college coaching. Considering everyone has to sleep and just about everything you do has to be processed by college kids you have about four hours a day and are certainly not all geniuses, how much more productive work can you really do?

When Coach Saban took the LSU job their program was in worse shape than Mississippi State's is now. When he took over our program we were in worse shape than LSU was before he took over.
The guy's going to win and win big and it doesn't matter who he's coaching, where they are, or what the name of their school is.
So where are his national championship rings from Toledo and Michigan State?

Spurrier has coached three programs to unprecedented levels of success with a supposedly "lax" work ethic. Maybe Spurrier is just better at recognizing when the productive work is done.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

Almost all coaches have a great work ethic. But there's a great work ethic that gets things done in an efficient and productive way and moves on to a regular life and then there's grinding and putting in time pretty much just for the sake of doing so. Maybe Saban has a touch of the latter. I don't know. I don't know how many hours Saban works, and I don't know how much of that time (as Spurrier, a very successful coach in his own right, alluded to) is really necessary.

I do know that a lot of coaches get to the office at 6:00 AM (or earlier) and leave at 11:00 PM (or later). Those seem to be routine hours in college coaching. Considering everyone has to sleep and just about everything you do has to be processed by college kids you have about four hours a day and are certainly not all geniuses, how much more productive work can you really do?

So where are his national championship rings from Toledo and Michigan State?

Spurrier has coached three programs to unprecedented levels of success with a supposedly "lax" work ethic. Maybe Spurrier is just better at recognizing when the productive work is done.
I'll make a deal with you. You keep Spurrier and we'll keep Coach Saban. I realize we're sacrificing a lot by passing on a coach with one whole national title at Florida when they had by far the most talent in SEC for about 10-12 years, and it's tough passing on a coach who has led South Carolina to unprecedented heights and no SEC Championships, but we're jovial people and so we're willing to let you guys keep the top dog :)

Last edited:

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina

I'll make a deal with you. You keep Spurrier and we'll keep Coach Saban. I realize we're sacrificing a lot by passing on a coach with one whole national title at Florida when they had by far the most talent in SEC for about 10-12 years, and it's tough passing on a coach who has led South Carolina to unprecedented heights and no SEC Championships, but we're jovial people and so we're willing to let you guys keep the top dog :)
That's pretty much how I feel. Another question is what would CNS have done at USCe in the past 7 years...would he have an SEC title or 2? I beleive he would....

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

That's pretty much how I feel. Another question is what would CNS have done at USCe in the past 7 years...would he have an SEC title or 2? I beleive he would....
Hard to say but I'd bet he would have won at least one or two SEC titles. I can guarantee you one thing, he wouldn't have lost by five touchdowns to Auburn in the SEC Championship game.

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland

I think it is safe to say that CNS would've succeeded no matter what school he went to. Whether he would've done better than SOS at USC is anybody's guess, but I seriously doubt he would've done worse, he's just a great college football coach. I still don't get this either/or mentality that has developed between the fans of each school the past few years (similar arguments taking the opposite view routinely pop up on Gamecock forums). Of course one wants to think my guy is better than your guy, but either fan base suggesting that either of these coaches could not have won at a high level at either school is silly. Nothing in their histories would lead someone to believe they could not succeed at both places. These are two hall of fame coaches, it's like choosing between cake or ice cream, you really can't go wrong.

I give Saban a slight edge if forced to rank active coaches (sorry Saban fans, I still have Bryant at #1 all time), but fans are fooling themselves if they think there is any kind of major difference between these two guys in terms of coaching ability.

Is Wanderer a Gamecock fan or someone just stirring the pot here?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.