Spurrier: I don’t know if Saban has maxed out potentially as well as he could...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Re: Spurrier: I don’t know if Saban has maxed out potentially as well as he could...

I think it is safe to say that CNS would've succeeded no matter what school he went to. Whether he would've done better than SOS at USC is anybody's guess, but I seriously doubt he would've done worse, he's just a great college football coach. I still don't get this either/or mentality that has developed between the fans of each school the past few years (similar arguments taking the opposite view routinely pop up on Gamecock forums). Of course one wants to think my guy is better than your guy, but either fan base suggesting that either of these coaches could not have won at a high level at either school is silly. Nothing in their histories would lead someone to believe they could not succeed at both places. These are two hall of fame coaches, it's like choosing between cake or ice cream, you really can't go wrong.

I give Saban a slight edge if forced to rank active coaches (sorry Saban fans, I still have Bryant at #1 all time), but fans are fooling themselves if they think there is any kind of major difference between these two guys in terms of coaching ability.

Is Wanderer a Gamecock fan or someone just stirring the pot here?
Have you not noticed that SOS fans the flames every chance he gets?

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Re: Spurrier: I don’t know if Saban has maxed out potentially as well as he could...

I've never really understood why he seems to revel in the attention he gets from making snide remarks. I can understand a good natured poke every once in a while, but he tends to go a bit overboard in my humble opinion.
As far as the job he's done at USC, he's been there nine years. They've finished first in the east once, second three times,third twice, fourth twice, and fifth once. To me, that ain't bad but it's not exactly setting the woods on fire either.

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland

That's his style, so yes, he brings some of the scorn on him, and it seems as though he welcomes it at times...maybe it's what makes him tick (I'm the opposite of that so I cannot relate to this aspect of him). He has not been nearly as vocal at USC as he was at Florida, but USC ain't Florida either, maybe it's more like every other chance he gets nowadays. When asked a question Spurrier answers it honestly and speaks his mind, regardless of the possible ramifications. Of course other than leaving out the jabs, is Saban that differently when dealing with the media?

Spurrier is the guy you love to hate...until he is your guy. What he said in the interview was not 1/10th as flaming or jabbing as Scarb made it out to be, but I'm also not naive enough to think it was just a conicidence that he chose Saban to use as an example - he could've selected any successful coach to make his point. There was a little poke hidden in there. But still, he told Saban he thought Saban could be just as successful without working so many hours...if that is what Spurrier is tossing around as insults these days he's not going to get as much press as he once did.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio

I've never really understood why he seems to revel in the attention he gets from making snide remarks. I can understand a good natured poke every once in a while, but he tends to go a bit overboard in my humble opinion.
As far as the job he's done at USC, he's been there nine years. They've finished first in the east once, second three times,third twice, fourth twice, and fifth once. To me, that ain't bad but it's not exactly setting the woods on fire either.
If you comapre it to what the GAmecocks have done prior to SOS, it becomes a little more impressive. Just like what Jammes Franklin did at Vandy...you just cant ignore the fact thats its harder to recruit at some schools and winning isnt nearly as easy without the recruits.

Coach Saban himself even acknowledged that he was only as good as the recruits he could bring in...thats just fact.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

That's his style, so yes, he brings some of the scorn on him, and it seems as though he welcomes it at times...maybe it's what makes him tick (I'm the opposite of that so I cannot relate to this aspect of him). He has not been nearly as vocal at USC as he was at Florida, but USC ain't Florida either, maybe it's more like every other chance he gets nowadays. When asked a question Spurrier answers it honestly and speaks his mind, regardless of the possible ramifications. Of course other than leaving out the jabs, is Saban that differently when dealing with the media?

Spurrier is the guy you love to hate...until he is your guy. What he said in the interview was not 1/10th as flaming or jabbing as Scarb made it out to be, but I'm also not naive enough to think it was just a conicidence that he chose Saban to use as an example - he could've selected any successful coach to make his point. There was a little poke hidden in there. But still, he told Saban he thought Saban could be just as successful without working so many hours...if that is what Spurrier is tossing around as insults these days he's not going to get as much press as he once did.
I've posted it before, but getting spurned by Bama is the burr under his saddle...

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

Littel history lesson here: Spurrier won only one conference championship in his final five years at Florida, despite the seemingly endless supply of elite talent in Gainesville. And lest we forget, that SEC was really the SEC of Mike Dubose, Phil Fulmer, Jim Donnan, Gerry Dinardo, and Terry Bowden. And, again, one title in five years...

I understand Spurrier is just going with the jabs because that's Spurrier and he gets a kick out of it, but if he were serious he'd probably want to explain away that glaring hole on his resume before he started calling other people out for supposedly underachieving...

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

Littel history lesson here: Spurrier won only one conference championship in his final five years at Florida, despite the seemingly endless supply of elite talent in Gainesville. And lest we forget, that SEC was really the SEC of Mike Dubose, Phil Fulmer, Jim Donnan, Gerry Dinardo, and Terry Bowden. And, again, one title in five years...

I understand Spurrier is just going with the jabs because that's Spurrier and he gets a kick out of it, but if he were serious he'd probably want to explain away that glaring hole on his resume before he started calling other people out for supposedly underachieving...
amen brother

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006

I've posted it before, but getting spurned by Bama is the burr under his saddle...
Is it possible that he and SOS have an off-the-field relationship where maybe somethings were said relative work habits and such? I am not suggesting that SOS breached a confidence I just wonder if some of this is him speculating a bit. I am not really offended by his comments. I think what he is saying centers around the law of diminishing returns. He knows what sort of effort he is willing to give and the results it has gotten. I think he is basically suggesting that given the level he (SOS) has recruited at over the last 5 years and the amount of energy CNS puts forth did the results really match the effort invested?

Looking at the work habits of both coaches, CNS is a tireless recruiter 24/7 recruiting and it shows - SOS not so much. That in and of itself has probably put a glass ceiling on SOS's performance as a coach. I dont think he will win a SEC simply because he doesnt have the depth on his roster. Now, if you assume that both coaches have the same amount of time to use as they wish, I could see where SOS maybe more efficient in game planning. Maybe he doesnt spend copious amounts of time contemplating the 1% events that might occur in a game - I dont know. But you look at the last 3 years, one could say the effort expended by CNS and the effort expended by SOS comes down to one loss. You would have to look at it and determine if that differential is related to coaching or recruiting. My argument would be if you take our losses over the last 3 years they would be of the coaching/execution ilk. Obviously, if we dont incur those losses, we are absolutely the most dominant dynasty in the history of the sport. Whereas, USC has some pretty significant injuries (Lattimore) that contributed to their losses during the same timespan.

What SOS doesnt mention is the fortune that we benefited from in winning the last 2 NCs because other teams simply lost late in season allowing us to climb back in the game. Because despite the effort invested we still lost a game each season. If that doesnt happen and we are still left with only the '09 championship, would more of us on here be more inclined to agree with SOS's assessment? I might. If that had happened, you might could argue that we are the college football version of the Atlanta Braves - who could only win 1 WS in 15 years.

I might be in the minority here, but I would prefer to have CNS working at 98% effort and have him for another 10 years rather than have him working at a 115% and only have him for another 3-4 years. My expectation is we probably would not be able to detect the results on the field at all if he chose to do so.

Last edited:

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland

Is it possible that he and SOS have an off-the-field relationship where maybe somethings were said relative work habits and such? I am not suggesting that SOS breached a confidence I just wonder if some of this is him speculating a bit. I am not really offended by his comments. I think what he is saying centers around the law of diminishing returns. He knows what sort of effort he is willing to give and the results it has gotten. I think he is basically suggesting that given the level he (SOS) has recruited at over the last 5 years and the amount of energy CNS puts forth did the results really match the effort invested?

Looking at the work habits of both coaches, CNS is a tireless recruiter 24/7 recruiting and it shows - SOS not so much. That in and of itself has probably put a glass ceiling on SOS's performance as a coach. I dont think he will win a SEC simply because he doesnt have the depth on his roster. Now, if you assume that both coaches have the same amount of time to use as they wish, I could see where SOS maybe more efficient in game planning. Maybe he doesnt spend copious amounts of time contemplating the 1% events that might occur in a game - I dont know. But you look at the last 3 years, one could say the effort expended by CNS and the effort expended by SOS comes down to one loss. You would have to look at it and determine if that differential is related to coaching or recruiting. My argument would be if you take our losses over the last 3 years they would be of the coaching/execution ilk. Obviously, if we dont incur those losses, we are absolutely the most dominant dynasty in the history of the sport. Whereas, USC has some pretty significant injuries (Lattimore) that contributed to their losses during the same timespan.

What SOS doesnt mention is the fortune that we benefited from in winning the last 2 NCs because other teams simply lost late in season allowing us to climb back in the game. Because despite the effort invested we still lost a game each season. If that doesnt happen and we are still left with only the '09 championship, would more of us on here be more inclined to agree with SOS's assessment? I might. If that had happened, you might could argue that we are the college football version of the Atlanta Braves - who could only win 1 WS in 15 years.

I might be in the minority here, but I would prefer to have CNS working at 98% effort and have him for another 10 years rather than have him working at a 115% and only have him for another 3-4 years. My expectation is we probably would not be able to detect the results on the field at all if he chose to do so.
Interesting take (the last paragraph). Not really sure if I agree or disagree, some people only know one speed, might actually throw Saban off his game if he backs off the throttle.

Rolltide_PA

1st Team
Jul 31, 2011
Re: Steve Spurrier says Nick Saban has maxed out on Alabama's potential

easy to yap when he'll be retired by 2019 when his cocks would have to face the tide

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

Spurrier's not "clarifying" anything. He's continue to subtly stir the pot. The "greatest recruiter in college football history" and "Arguably they've got the greatest collection of football players ever assembled for a college team." That tactic is nothing more than putting his team (and everyone else in the conference) in an underdog role to Bama and creating a "chip" on other teams' shoulders. His "clarification" is not sincere IMO.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL

Spurrier's not "clarifying" anything. He's continue to subtly stir the pot. The "greatest recruiter in college football history" and "Arguably they've got the greatest collection of football players ever assembled for a college team." That tactic is nothing more than putting his team (and everyone else in the conference) in an underdog role to Bama and creating a "chip" on other teams' shoulders. His "clarification" is not sincere IMO.
I really don't think he is fooling anybody regardless of what he says.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama

Auburn has had 3 different coaches win SEC titles since Spurrier last won one. 2 of those coaches were fired.

BamaGreek

All-American
Jan 6, 2007
Brentwood, TN

Spurrier works so hard on recruiting that he just had over 25 pct of his last signing class not qualify to enroll at South Carolina. Maybe Spurrier would be better served working on his own program and not commenting on others.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001

The only compliments Spurrier gives out are the backhanded kind. Much of the sports media is too stupid to get that.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.