Spurrier: I don’t know if Saban has maxed out potentially as well as he could...

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Re: Steve Spurrier says Nick Saban has maxed out on Alabama's potential

The thread title is pretty much the exact opposite of what Spurrier actually said

How many SECs has (Saban) won there in eight years? He’s won two. He’s won three nationals, but he’s only won two SECs in eight years. Now, if you had the No. 1 recruiting class every year and so forth, I don’t know if he has maxed out potentially as well as he could.”

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Re: Spurrier: I don’t know if Saban has maxed out potentially as well as he could...

I wish CNS would do the samw

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Re: Spurrier: I don’t know if Saban has maxed out potentially as well as he could...

Makes you wonder if CNS might be burning himself out some. I'm not talking about relative to results but relative to how much longer he wants to coach. Or maybe, which I think is more likely, he is just supremely driven and this is who he is and he actually gets enjoyment out of working that hard. Either way glad CNS is our coach and I wouldn't trade him for anybody.

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014

I didn't see it as taking shots. He just pointed out coaches have different ways of doing things.
He's saying what CNS has done isn't that impressive considering all the number one recruiting classes, that based on the recruiting rankings we should be number one every year. He's undermining the job CNS has done as a coach and attributing his success primarily to top recruiting classes.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

He's saying what CNS has done isn't that impressive considering all the number one recruiting classes, that based on the recruiting rankings we should be number one every year. He's undermining the job CNS has done as a coach and attributing his success primarily to top recruiting classes.
people may take him more seriously if he had any impressive recruiting classes, or any recent success at all.

but i don't think he's looking to be taken seriously as much as he is trolling, it seems to be his specialty, it just doesn't work as well as it does when he does it against tennorsee or jawjuh

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al

Yeah one could look at it that way but in reality there is no such thing as a number one class. It's an opinion of a handful of self proclaimed experts. I look at it from in the past 8 years who else has 2 SEC titles AND 3 national titles, certainly not him. He talks of Coach wanting to leave no stone unturned. Maybe a little bit of a back handed compliment but that's just Steve being Steve.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL

Typical Steve Spurrier talk right there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al

people may take him more seriously if he had any impressive recruiting classes, or any recent success at all.

but i don't think he's looking to be taken seriously as much as he is trolling, it seems to be his specialty, it just doesn't work as well as it does when he does it against tennorsee or jawjuh
I'm no fan of Spurrier but the job he has done at South Carolina is remarkable.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

I'm no fan of Spurrier but the job he has done at South Carolina is remarkable.
i actually like him, but remarkable is not the term i'd use about his time at south carolina. he has fared well while the traditional east powers are down, but thats about it.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

This is like the guy who struck out with the bases loaded in the last inning saying, "the pitcher really wasn't that good".
Ridiculous. Grow up Stevie.
sip

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Well at least Spurrier owns his own comments. Of course, I could point out numerous things:

1) He's in South Carolina, where a nine-win season is more celebrated than an Alabama national title. If Spurrier was still at Florida and calling it in like he is now, he'd be gone after a couple of 7-5 seasons.

2) He's counting SEC titles because he won four in a row with one QB (93-96). Of course if Saban had the luxury of only having two tough division opponents like SOS did then (SC, KY, and Vandy were automatic wins as not only was Spurrier 30-0 but most were not even challenges) as opposed to the SEC West juggernaut (THREE national titles in the last 10 years that were NOT Alabama) then maybe he'd have more SEC titles. Fact is that Spurrier has been there a decade now, has only one division title, no SEC titles, and he's had the luxury of Florida and Tennessee both imploding the last couple of years.

Think about it: Missouri has as many SEC East titles as Spurrier (at SC), and they've only played 16 conference games.

Back in 1997, pundits were liberally comparing Spurrier to Coach Bryant. With the sole exception of his five straight division titles (with 4 SEC championships), the very comparison is laughable.

Not so laughable anymore? Saban to Bryant.

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina

Sorry to split hairs, but Coach Saban has only been a Bama 7 years. Guess that makes the 2 SEC's and 3 NC's more impressive.

IGetBuckets

Suspended
Jan 13, 2014

Spurrier on his attempt at greatness...

Plus his only NC came after a voter orchestrated Bowl redo after FSU beat him in their last game of the regular season

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK

I take his comments a completely different way. i don't think they are disrespectful, I think he's just jabbing at CNS for fun. CSS is brash but he's not nuts and he doesn't typically go around being disrespectful.

“I told Nick Saban one time, I said, ‘Nick, you don’t have to stay there until midnight and your teams would be just as good and win just as many,’”
“How many SECs has (Saban) won there in eight years? He’s won two. He’s won three nationals, but he’s only won two SECs in eight years. Now, if you had the No. 1 recruiting class every year and so forth, I don’t know if he has maxed out potentially as well as he could.”
I see this as CSS ribbing CNS in a friendly kind of way. A joke between them that they get. Playing on CNS obsessiveness.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006

i actually like him, but remarkable is not the term i'd use about his time at south carolina. he has fared well while the traditional east powers are down, but thats about it.
I agree with you, plus he's gone 0-5 against the barn since his arrival at USCe. I mention this because that's 5 opportunities he's had to brighten my day but failed. Now he's just trying to justify his time on the links, while others are working at getting better.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.