Blowing Leads To Auburn: A Problem We Must Fix Long-Term

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Sure you can name around 25 schools that are NC "caliber" programs. I look at programs based on results not potential.
I won't pick nits over the number, but there are a few, and Auburn had a perfect season culminated with a BCS championship in 2010, followed by a very close loss in the BCS championship game in January. That would seem to represent pretty solid results. Not everyone can be Alabama.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I won't pick nits over the number, but there are a few, and Auburn had a perfect season culminated with a BCS championship in 2010, followed by a very close loss in the BCS championship game in January. That would seem to represent pretty solid results. Not everyone can be Alabama.
True. I'm not one of those that think AU is a walkover or has a bad program. They have had a good run the past few years. The historical difference in Alabama and AU, and a lot of programs really, is being able to sustain that greatness. A lot of AU's great seasons historically, and recently, have been flashes in the pan. AU has never won 10 games in back to back seasons. Ever.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
True. I'm not one of those that think AU is a walkover or has a bad program. They have had a good run the past few years. The historical difference in Alabama and AU, and a lot of programs really, is being able to sustain that greatness. A lot of AU's great seasons historically, and recently, have been flashes in the pan. AU has never won 10 games in back to back seasons. Ever.
Wow! I did not know that. They have the talent to do it this year, but playing in the SEC West is going to make it difficult.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Wow! I did not know that. They have the talent to do it this year, but playing in the SEC West is going to make it difficult.
Yea. I have a feeling they may break that trend this year. That stat just kind of puts their program into prospective, historically.

Edit: According to Wikipedia they did have 10 win seasons in 1988 and 1989. Still only once ever

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
The other thing to watch for, concerning the barn, is that they are notorious for only being good when nobody thinks they will and then for stinking it up when they're expected to do something.

That'll be the think to watch this year when everyone is expecting something from them.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
The other thing to watch for, concerning the barn, is that they are notorious for only being good when nobody thinks they will and then for stinking it up when they're expected to do something.

That'll be the think to watch this year when everyone is expecting something from them.
Ya that was my point with AU. They never have sustained winning over a period of years. They'll have an undefeated team one year and the next year go 8-5 and then the next year go 3-9 and 0-8 in SEC play.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Did anyone watch the replay of Auburn- FSU championship game? There was several plays where FSU could've stopped that, but made mental mistakes. we did the same thing. I think we'll be okay this year.

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA
You make a great point as usual Selma, as you pointed out, the Bama game is the game The Barners lives for..While we live for NC's..They live for beating us & they literally have sold their souls to beating us..While we're on this subject..There's one aspect of Coach Saban's coaching that I have a problem with, is that he has the tendencies to call off the dogs to early in a game, and in a few games, it caused our players to lose that momentum they built up, and allowed the other team to make a comeback & make the game a lot closer than it needed to be..

I wish we would put games away & then let our 2nd string come in run the offense normally & allow those boys to get valuable PT..In case the players in front of them gets hurt & they will have game time experience to fill that void..
I agree with you 100%. And also this year, or sometime soon i'd like to see a new milestone for Alabama. As we all know, we've won more conference titles than anyone. We've won more national titles than anyone. We've played in more bowls than anyone. We've won more bowls than anyone. What else is left????? Before i die, i'd like to see us hang 100 points on Auburn. I know, blah blah blah class, and all that. But you can all admit it - it's ok - you'd like to see it too.

Wanderer

Suspended
Jun 24, 2014
I still think a lot of you folks are using the "They care more about the Iron Bowl than we do" as an excuse for why they have mostly had the upper hand in the post-Bryant era. Sorry, but I'm just not a guy who's real big on excuses. You either get it done or you don't, and the last two times AU has beaten UA they had plenty more to play for than just the Iron Bowl. It certainly has not been a matter of "Let's save our horrible season and pour everything into beating Alabama and forget about the SECCG next week" kind of game.

Ridiculous.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I still think a lot of you folks are using the "They care more about the Iron Bowl than we do" as an excuse for why they have mostly had the upper hand in the post-Bryant era. Sorry, but I'm just not a guy who's real big on excuses.
I have not seen anyone use it as an excuse or suggest that any excuse was acceptable. I just see a bunch of fans who care about their team searching for answers to something that concerns them. Your opinion may differ, but you do no one any favors by disparaging others' opinions by labeling them.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I still think a lot of you folks are using the "They care more about the Iron Bowl than we do" as an excuse for why they have mostly had the upper hand in the post-Bryant era. Sorry, but I'm just not a guy who's real big on excuses. You either get it done or you don't, and the last two times AU has beaten UA they had plenty more to play for than just the Iron Bowl. It certainly has not been a matter of "Let's save our horrible season and pour everything into beating Alabama and forget about the SECCG next week" kind of game.

Ridiculous.
They're a solid program. They're in the upper half of the SEC in terms of success. But they are not Bama and they know it and they "seem" to be more motivated in the rivalry in recent years more than the Bama team.

FWIW, we have several rival posters who are regulars on this board. Maybe you'll become one, but you're not making too many good impresssions by telling us we are being "ridiculous."

There's been a lot of discussion about what seems to be CNS showing a greater passion for the LSU game over the Auburn game. This is not making an excuse, but about us fans wishing for a renewed hatred/passion for when we get to the Barn game. But no, I don't think anyone is making excuses.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I have not seen anyone use it as an excuse or suggest that any excuse was acceptable. I just see a bunch of fans who care about their team searching for answers to something that concerns them. Your opinion may differ, but you do no one any favors by disparaging others' opinions by labeling them.
You've been around here long enough to know some take a poster asking what happened or what could have prevented a loss into excuse making or excuse searching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

Ridiculous.
are you going to do this on every page of the thread?

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Losing to AU last year directly prevented us from realizing our goals and making history. The sickening fashion in which it occurred made some history itself. Do I think CNS coaches down in the IB or doesn't understand the importance of it - no. Still, 2013 will change the complexion of the rivalry for years to come IMO. Bama is going to BRING IT. Like some others have said, let's see how often the loser of the IB plays for championships. EVERY GAME is important.

Quarterback

Suspended
May 14, 2014
I would rather go in to halftime against a good team up by 10 than 21-0 if it was all scored in the 1st quarter.

The most intense I've seen the team is when we are up big with a shutout on the line, coach Saban is basking in the domination and wants it to be a complete game. Early, early, big leads and conservative play calling can swing momentum, but sometimes you have to do that. Maybe Lane can balance the give and take better.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.