Link: Chart: Kiffin as a play-caller compared to the Alabama offense

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
Interesting stats, but I think they need further breakdown. Were the additional turnovers due to more passing, more fumbles, more broken plays, etc.? Lane does seem to be more even in his play calling, but there were several games won with the running game and many games on cruise control with the running game at Alabama which may pad the running stats.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Offensive play calling does not produce turnovers - poor execution produces turnovers.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Offensive play calling does not produce turnovers - poor execution produces turnovers.
Teams that use the pitch as part of their running game -- fumble more than teams that don't.
Teams that throw the ball 30+ times per game -- fumble less than teams that throw it 10 or less.....

Play calling can cause turnovers --

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Teams that use the pitch as part of their running game -- fumble more than teams that don't.
Teams that throw the ball 30+ times per game -- fumble less than teams that throw it 10 or less.....

Play calling can cause turnovers --
Only if there is poor execution.

11b

Jul 8, 2013
I believe I read a CNS quote somewhere that said players are more important than playcall all, so I think he agrees with B1GTide

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
You are mostly correct. However, no matter how well you execute your passes over the middle of the field, eventually a defense will break on the ball and create a turnover. You can call that poor execution, but I'd call it statistics.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
I believe we will remain committed to running the ball and staying balanced with PA passing, screens, etc. However, I see us featuring our playmakers to a greater extent. Big year for Coop, OJH, Yeldon and Henry.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Forgive me, but I'm struggling to figure out what correlation there is supposed to be here. Is the suggestion that Kiffin as an OC under CNS will call plays in the same manner he did as HC at two different schools?

If that's the suggestion, then I guess I'm puzzled as well. Not familiar with ANY OC that has worked under CNS and not called plays as Saban wished.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Never been a fan of "balance for the sake of balance"; if they can't stop you running the football, no need to throw it 15 times. If you can't get but 1-2 yds per rush, you better throw it more than 15 times. Do whatever you have to in order to win.
I don't have any stats to back this up, but I would bet at least 25% - 35% of all interceptions are the result of deflections by the intended receiver - bouncing off of hands, helmets, shoulder pads, etc. Anytime you hand the ball (or lateral) from one person to another the chance of a fumble is doubled, I would say.
Three things can happen when you throw the football, and two of 'em ain't good. Didn't somebody famous say that?
IMO, when it gets down to it, if no one drops a ball that hits their hands, from either a pass or a lateral or a handoff, there will still be fumbles and interceptions - just not as many.

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
What percentage of those passes were trying to make a comeback? What's the quote? Something like ... 3 things can happen when you pass ... two of them are bad ...

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I put most interceptions in a couple of categories.
1. QB fault. A badly thrown ball, either over or under.
2. Deflected pass. Including juggled attempts to catch.
(For Heaven sake's, if you can't catch it, slap it to the turf)
3. Desperation passes. (Throwing it up for grabs) (Except by JFF)
4. Receiver going to the ground while the ball is in the air...
5. QB locks his eyes on a receiver all the way.
(Easy to play Defense when the QB gives the play away.)

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA
Play calling can increase the possibility of a turnover, but it is ultimately execution that determines if it happens.

For instance, if the play called was an option to the side where Landon Collins was lined up, I was the running back, the pitch man is covered by the outside linebacker on that side, and the ball is pitched to me, get ready to chase Collins down the field. My OC should have known better.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.