Link: How Michigan's Greed Alienated Fans: A Cautionary Tale For All College Football

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA
Super Bowls have had this issue for some time now. Most of the people at the Super Bowl are actually not fans of either teams (despite the jerseys and face paint). Just people with a lot of $. My 2 cents.
I think a large part of all NFL games are like that. I have been to several NFL games of different teams, always as the guest of a salesperson. Sometimes we were in a corporate box and sometimes in a block of seats owned by the company. I don't think that any of the "corporate guests" cared at all about the game. They just talked "shop" and drank a lot of beer. When we left, it was often to some after party at an executive's home or at the company. It was rare to even hear one word about the game afterward.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think a large part of all NFL games are like that. I have been to several NFL games of different teams, always as the guest of a salesperson. Sometimes we were in a corporate box and sometimes in a block of seats owned by the company. I don't think that any of the "corporate guests" cared at all about the game. They just talked "shop" and drank a lot of beer. When we left, it was often to some after party at an executive's home or at the company. It was rare to even hear one word about the game afterward.
Depends on the NFL team. For instance, the NY Jets have a rabid fan base and almost all of their season tickets, even with the PSL, were purchased by real fans. The NY Giants' games are the exact opposite. Same stadium, higher PSL and ticket costs (because of the history of the team) and the result is that most PSLs were purchased by corporations and very wealthy executives. The average fan is forced to buy tickets one game at a time in the secondary market.

Around here, the Browns games are largely attended by real fans - the Bengals games are a joke (poor attendance - very weak fan base).

Last edited:

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Exactly, a good friend bought 8 club seats when Jerry's World was built to entertain clients. I've been to 4 games with him and got my BAMA-UM tickets thanks to him. That said, I hate going with him b/c you arrive 5 min before kickoff, run to your seat to watch the 1st offensive series of each team from your seat and then go to the Sony Lounge to watch the game and get wasted. If it is a 1 score game you return to your seat for the final 10 minutes of the game. If I wanted to sit in a bar and watch a game I wouldn't drive an hour, I'd go to my local watering hole!

lowend

All-SEC
Feb 20, 2005
Trust me. If we have three consecutive years of non-BCS bowls, you'll see some of the same issues other schools are facing start to crop up. Maybe to that extent, maybe not. With 5 years of it, we'll be right in there where UM is today.
This is right on. The Bama fan base is nothing if not fickle. It's amazing how those red seats in the west upper deck camouflage just how empty they are sometimes.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.