Is the opener against West Virginia a trap game for Alabama?

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
I think we're going to be very strong defensively. Our offense is our biggest question mark in years.
It will all unfold, but I think we'll wipe West Virginia off the map. We have a fairly decent opening game record under Coach Saban.
Decent??? More like never lost a opener under CNS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Going into this year I think back to 73. We had lost to Auburn in the "Punt Bama Punt" game, and then turned around and lost our bowl game. In addition, we lost a whole bunch of starters, including our QB.
Everybody was concerned that we would be average at best.
We opened against California, a team led by Steve Bartkowski, Chuck Muncie, and Wesley Walker, all who went on to All-Pro careers in the NFL.
Going into the game I was scared to death, and for good reason, there were SO many question marks. Somehow we barely beat them 66-0. Then we rolled through our schedule dominating everybody we played.
Unfortunately, in the most disappointing Bama game I've ever watched, we did nothing right against Notre Dame in the Sugar Bowl and still lost just 24-23.
Had we beaten Notre Dame I would, today, still vote that as the greatest Bama team of all time, even ahead of 66. Our offense was incredible. We scored 77 against Virginia Tech in a down pour in Bryant Denny.
My point---There are so many question marks that nobody knows. We may be average, we may be incredible.
But I'll say this--Coach Saban was born and raised in West Virginia, and coached by his Dad in West Virginia.
We're NOT going to overlook West Virginia, and so NO, it's not a "Trap Game".
If they beat us, it'll be because they're better than we are.
sip

Vince Ferragamo was on that '73 Cal team also. He transferred to Nebraska in '74.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
We lost CJ, Stinson, and Pagan but I truly think our front 7 will be utterly nasty. A'Shawn and Allen are another year older, Tomlinson is back, DePriest is a leader, and we will have 3-4 true frosh rotating in that will bring a lot of speed and athleticism. Guys like Miller, Hand, and Evans.

If we can reestablish our MO of running the ball with effectiveness, whomever is at QB will be just fine. I see something like 42-14 Bama.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
WVA just announced their starting QB will be Clint Trickett - a transfer from FSU.

If Coker starts for Bama.....it will be a battle of the FSU QB transfers. :rolleye2:

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
West Virginia has never been the same since rich rod left. I expect us to win this game comfortably. I do however see us losing 3 maybe 4 games later in the season.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.