Is the opener against West Virginia a trap game for Alabama?

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Seriously though. It may be a trap game to fans. But for the guys coming back who just lost 2 games straight for the 1st time since 2008, you REALLY think they haven't been licking their chops for a chance at redemption all summer?

My take is this: from our perspective, this entire season has everything to do with us and not a thing to do with anyone on the schedule. It'll be about us proving that those last two games were flukes and (as the classiest man alive Barrett Jones once said) restoring order in college football landscape

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I hate when fans think it will be a blow out against teams like WVU. They have D1 players that can play some ball but yes most of them are not as talented as at Bama but we should still respect them and know any team can win any day. It is the first game of the year we will be pumped to finally hit someone besides our own players but it could be a little sloppy and closer than we prefer.
It really doesn't matter what the "fans" are saying. As long as the players are listening to the coaches and as long as the coaches prepare correctly, it doesn't matter what we say.

I can talk about the opener, LSU, Auburn, the possibility of the SECCG or NCG at any point and that won't affect the teams prep or play throughout the season.

But to answer the OP's question, nah, I don't think so.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
West Virginia doesn't have the talent or the coaching staff to give us a run for our money. I never take teams lightly, but WVU is a train wreck right now. I will be shocked if Holgorson is still there at the end of the year, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if he isnt fired mid season. I personally believe that we will beat them like they stole something. I'm calling it 48-7.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
I won't give any score predictions till closer to the season. More than two months off, there are just far too many things that could happen on either side. But barring some sort of catastrophe of the Cover of Time Magazine variety, I think Alabama will win by more than a score.

As for it being a trap, I think not. The last game was OU and that certainly should not have created any complacency or overconfidence. The next game is Florida Atlantic so there shouldn't be much danger of "looking past" WVU to the next opponent (or even the one after that). Too early, also, to say if anything else on our schedule sets up like that. Maybe Tennessee, coming between Texas A&M and our off week before LSU? Still, not really a trap with a week off. Not really a trap, but I hate playing Mississippi State the week after LSU every year.

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now
WV will bring their spread defense with them. In the best of personnel times that is a major liability. This is not even that and they will Not stop our running game. By the third quarter it will look like Muhammad Ali beating up on an overrated welterweight. Lord help them if we decide to throw.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
Historically our offense has started slow, especially with a new starting quarterback. The X factor is probably the run game. If the line opens a few holes we have backs that can and will take a simple off tackle play for 6. WV's problem is dealing with our defense. They looked pretty salty in the spring and through our secondary will continue to need development our front 7 may be too much for them.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Seriously though. It may be a trap game to fans. But for the guys coming back who just lost 2 games straight for the 1st time since 2008, you REALLY think they haven't been licking their chops for a chance at redemption all summer?

My take is this: from our perspective, this entire season has everything to do with us and not a thing to do with anyone on the schedule. It'll be about us proving that those last two games were flukes and (as the classiest man alive Barrett Jones once said) restoring order in college football landscape
Bingo - excellent post, Mack. Dead on!

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
I look at it alot like the VATech game last year. Even though we were very sluggish on offense, they had no chance at all of beating us. We have a lot of areas (Especially OL) that are playing together for the first time and it may not be really smooth at first. Also, I think it is great that our opening opponent runs the spread because I suspect CNS has done a little thinking on that.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I'm just saying they are not the same team as last year just like Bama was not the same team in 08 as 07. We do not know how good they are yet or we are plus we had the worst QB showing for A-day that I can remember so as a coach myself I would rather give the team we play respect instead of saying we will blow each team out every week except for a couple.

A-day - the infallible barometer of the college football season

Guys, I think we're doomed to a 3-9 year. Better fire Saban and get Chizik on the phone now so he can touch us with his genius.

I thought we'd be 11-2 or 10-3 at worst but that A-day game really has me convinced we monumentally stink. Better call the league office and get Mississippi State off the schedule, fast.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
A-day - the infallible barometer of the college football season

Guys, I think we're doomed to a 3-9 year. Better fire Saban and get Chizik on the phone now so he can touch us with his genius.

I thought we'd be 11-2 or 10-3 at worst but that A-day game really has me convinced we monumentally stink. Better call the league office and get Mississippi State off the schedule, fast.
Selma, I know your memory is better than mine, but did you forget to use the blue font on that last sentence? :smile:

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Going into this year I think back to 73. We had lost to Auburn in the "Punt Bama Punt" game, and then turned around and lost our bowl game. In addition, we lost a whole bunch of starters, including our QB.
Everybody was concerned that we would be average at best.
We opened against California, a team led by Steve Bartkowski, Chuck Muncie, and Wesley Walker, all who went on to All-Pro careers in the NFL.
Going into the game I was scared to death, and for good reason, there were SO many question marks. Somehow we barely beat them 66-0. Then we rolled through our schedule dominating everybody we played.
Unfortunately, in the most disappointing Bama game I've ever watched, we did nothing right against Notre Dame in the Sugar Bowl and still lost just 24-23.
Had we beaten Notre Dame I would, today, still vote that as the greatest Bama team of all time, even ahead of 66. Our offense was incredible. We scored 77 against Virginia Tech in a down pour in Bryant Denny.
My point---There are so many question marks that nobody knows. We may be average, we may be incredible.
But I'll say this--Coach Saban was born and raised in West Virginia, and coached by his Dad in West Virginia.
We're NOT going to overlook West Virginia, and so NO, it's not a "Trap Game".
If they beat us, it'll be because they're better than we are.
sip

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
NOPE...
ALABAMA will play a conservative game, and win.
If WV can't stop our running game, it's over.
Steady diet of Yeldon and Henry should force their Defense to crowd the middle, we have just the man to run around the end too...
We will likely pass in situations where WV brings the house. Good place for pass to a RB in the flats.

Kiffen has been partial to a few long passes in the past. Will that trend continue?
We have the receivers to quickly get down field.

ANSWER. I don't see WV as a trap game. It's more likely to resemble when we played VT.
I see this as a game for our Defense to step it up.
I see this game as OJT for our next QB.
If our QB candidates remember that they probably won't have to win the game by themselves,
if they play cool under pressure.
I'd rather the press say we have another 'Game Manager' who helps us win games, than to say we have a wild man who throws in desperation or runs when that isn't the best call.
Until we see what we have as a starting QB, our best bet is to pound the ball. (And win)

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
By definition, the season opener cannot be a trap game. The team is always at its most prepared, execution may take time, but overlooking is highly unlikely. Uwv could shock us, however they really don't offer much of a threat in any fashion from a talent perspective, only fom scheme. Usually not a good sign for the opposition.

BamaPokerplayer

All-American
Oct 10, 2004
I think we smash them; however, it looks like we will be starting a QB from FSU, so we will just have to wait and see if he can keep it in his pants, and keep them crab legs out of his pockets.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Going into this year I think back to 73. We had lost to Auburn in the "Punt Bama Punt" game, and then turned around and lost our bowl game. In addition, we lost a whole bunch of starters, including our QB.
Everybody was concerned that we would be average at best.
We opened against California, a team led by Steve Bartkowski, Chuck Muncie, and Wesley Walker, all who went on to All-Pro careers in the NFL.
Going into the game I was scared to death, and for good reason, there were SO many question marks. Somehow we barely beat them 66-0. Then we rolled through our schedule dominating everybody we played.
Unfortunately, in the most disappointing Bama game I've ever watched, we did nothing right against Notre Dame in the Sugar Bowl and still lost just 24-23.
Had we beaten Notre Dame I would, today, still vote that as the greatest Bama team of all time, even ahead of 66. Our offense was incredible. We scored 77 against Virginia Tech in a down pour in Bryant Denny.
My point---There are so many question marks that nobody knows. We may be average, we may be incredible.
But I'll say this--Coach Saban was born and raised in West Virginia, and coached by his Dad in West Virginia.
We're NOT going to overlook West Virginia, and so NO, it's not a "Trap Game".
If they beat us, it'll be because they're better than we are.
sip
'Sip, you mention 1973, with the two losses at the end of the previous year. I know this is about our opener with WVU, but I'd sure like for us to use the loss to AU as a kick start to reeling off a series of wins over the Barn for the next decade like that team did.

I know it's not likely because they are a better program now than in the 70's, but a guy can dream!!!

BTW, good post and I hope you are right. I hope the "team" concept is what a propels us to a great 2014 season!!!

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
'Sip, you mention 1973, with the two losses at the end of the previous year. I know this is about our opener with WVU, but I'd sure like for us to use the loss to AU as a kick start to reeling off a series of wins over the Barn for the next decade like that team did.

I know it's not likely because they are a better program now than in the 70's, but a guy can dream!!!

BTW, good post and I hope you are right. I hope the "team" concept is what a propels us to a great 2014 season!!!
I think we're going to be very strong defensively. Our offense is our biggest question mark in years.
It will all unfold, but I think we'll wipe West Virginia off the map. We have a fairly decent opening game record under Coach Saban.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.