Game Thread: USA vs Germany - Escape to Live Again (main thread until Belgium)...

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Re: USA vs Germany - Escape to Victory

ADVANCED!!! Still wanted to win. Hate going out with a whimper. It is was it is.

Sent from my iPhone

Roll Tide! 15 Time National Champions, More BCS Championships than any school...

I wouldn't call a one-goal loss against [probably] the best team in the world right now, on a day's less rest after playing in much tougher conditions, in playing conditions that gives them a significant advantage in the game "going out with a whimper".

I don't really think any team that advances - including Germany - will be relishing a match against the U.S., which is really a first for us in a World Cup.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL

I still don't get the draw/tie aspect of soccer. It's a game. There has to be a winner and a loser. Can you imagine the Iron Bowl going to a 28-28 tie? How would the state of Alabama survive?
First, that's an ignorant statement as there has been a tie in the Iron Bowl.

Second, there are only ties in the Group play section of the World Cup. Group play is about having all of the teams in the group playing each other under "equal" conditions - so, 90 minutes with no extra time.

It allows two equally matched - at least on that day - teams who put in the effort to be rewarded for going toe-to-toe with each other, as opposed to rewarding one team and penalizing the other due to a late goal in overtime and/or penalty kicks.

After all, the goal of Group play is to be one of the best two teams in the group - to advance.

From here on out, the goal is to win the game - to advance - so there'll be no more ties.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

I still don't get the draw/tie aspect of soccer. It's a game. There has to be a winner and a loser. Can you imagine the Iron Bowl going to a 28-28 tie? How would the state of Alabama survive?

In the round of 16, no more ties. Games that end up tied in regulation then play two 15 minute periods (break between), followed by a shootout if it is still tied.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

the iron bowl ended in a tie in 1907, maybe the state's demise will take 108 years ;)

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada

thanks. couldn't remember the injury he had. at least in my experience, a pulled leg muscle can go after 1.5 - 2 weeks if lucky. ive had them take up to 4 weeks to heal though.
My experience has been that hamstrings can take an unfortunately looooooooooooooong time to heal.

And trying to rush back before it has healed all too often results in a recurrence...

Of course, I suspect that Altidore is made out of slightly better stuff than I...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

thanks. couldn't remember the injury he had. at least in my experience, a pulled leg muscle can go after 1.5 - 2 weeks if lucky. ive had them take up to 4 weeks to heal though.
That would be extremely optimistic...

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011

I think it is time for Bama and the entire SEC to have Mens Soccer.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

I wouldn't call a one-goal loss against [probably] the best team in the world right now, on a day's less rest after playing in much tougher conditions, in playing conditions that gives them a significant advantage in the game "going out with a whimper".

I don't really think any team that advances - including Germany - will be relishing a match against the U.S., which is really a first for us in a World Cup.
I haven't gotten to watch all of the teams yet, but I've been very impressed with Holland or The Netherlands, whichever they are called. Of course, I don't know that their competition has been as fierce as Germany's was.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

That would be extremely optimistic...
yeah, i raced on a severely pulled calf 2 weeks after injury, but it was a distance race and i seriously doubt i could have done the quick starts required in soccer. i have run on pulled/strained hammys but getting back to 100% always took a while.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

yeah, i raced on a severely pulled calf 2 weeks after injury, but it was a distance race and i seriously doubt i could have done the quick starts required in soccer. i have run on pulled/strained hammys but getting back to 100% always took a while.
I pulled mine running a 10K on insufficient racing. I had been backpacking in WY at 10K altitude and up, but that works quads and not hams. I ran my PB - 42 flat for the 10K in the 55-60 age group. I pulled my left ham. I was dating a girl who thought she knew something about massage, having been Rolfed herself. She worked on it with her elbows and crippled me for the next several years. I stopped dating her...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

I pulled mine running a 10K on insufficient racing. I had been backpacking in WY at 10K altitude and up, but that works quads and not hams. I ran my PB - 42 flat for the 10K in the 55-60 age group. I pulled my left ham. I was dating a girl who thought she knew something about massage, having been Rolfed herself. She worked on it with her elbows and crippled me for the next several years. I stopped dating her...
You ran a 42 minute 10k past age 55? Much respect. I am not quite 50 yet and my sub-50 minute 10k races are well behind me.

beardensdaman44

All-SEC
Mar 7, 2006

First, that's an ignorant statement as there has been a tie in the Iron Bowl.

Second, there are only ties in the Group play section of the World Cup. Group play is about having all of the teams in the group playing each other under "equal" conditions - so, 90 minutes with no extra time.

It allows two equally matched - at least on that day - teams who put in the effort to be rewarded for going toe-to-toe with each other, as opposed to rewarding one team and penalizing the other due to a late goal in overtime and/or penalty kicks.

After all, the goal of Group play is to be one of the best two teams in the group - to advance.

From here on out, the goal is to win the game - to advance - so there'll be no more ties.
Ok, let me clarify. In modern times, there has been no tie in the Iron Bowl. One must go back 100 years to find the tie. Second, I wasn't gearing my comment specifically at the World Cup. There are draws in soccer all the time in leagues all over the Word. I still don't get it. A coach once said that "a tie is like kissing your sister." There's an awful lot of sister kissing in soccer. Equal teams or not, I think there should be a winner and a loser in a game. Germany was clearly the better team today and the US was one crazy rebound away from a draw.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Ok, let me clarify. In modern times, there has been no tie in the Iron Bowl. One must go back 100 years to find the tie. Second, I wasn't gearing my comment specifically at the World Cup. There are draws in soccer all the time in leagues all over the Word. I still don't get it. A coach once said that "a tie is like kissing your sister." There's an awful lot of sister kissing in soccer. Equal teams or not, I think there should be a winner and a loser in a game.
There was a tie in the NFL in 2012 and 2013. Between 1974 and 2011, there were 17. Let's not act like this happens only in soccer.

Germany was clearly the better team today and the US was one crazy rebound away from a draw.
The best team doesn't always win in any sport. The ball takes an odd bounce, and the other team takes advantage. Again, this doesn't happen only in soccer.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere

Ok, let me clarify. In modern times, there has been no tie in the Iron Bowl. One must go back 100 years to find the tie. Second, I wasn't gearing my comment specifically at the World Cup. There are draws in soccer all the time in leagues all over the Word. I still don't get it. A coach once said that "a tie is like kissing your sister." There's an awful lot of sister kissing in soccer. Equal teams or not, I think there should be a winner and a loser in a game. Germany was clearly the better team today and the US was one crazy rebound away from a draw.
I understand what you are saying bearden because I was thinking about the same thing. The USA has gone from a win, draw, and now a loss. Seems like to the untrained eye, or in our football world, they are going backwards. I also liked what uafan4life said about the tactics that is employed is this round of the world cup. It really makes sense if you think about it though. Be the best two in your group, and now the real World Cup starts. It is like the early rounds of any playoffs, the big dogs get to warm up before second round begins.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.