Game Thread: USA vs Germany - Escape to Live Again (main thread until Belgium)...

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Re: USA vs Germany - Escape to Victory

So Belgium is next, correct? Will that be a good match up for us?
If the US can get C.J. Mosley to Brazil to mark Romelu Lukaku, it'll be a good matchup. Lukaku's a beast among the Belgians, but thinking Klinsmann will have learned a little from an earlier friendly (3-1 US defeat last year.)

Earle, talk about Klinsmann sounding like the church lady of your acquaintance, did you hear Ian Darke say that he'd ruffled Teutonic media feathers by refusing to do interviews in German leading up to the USA match? Ja vol, good buddy!

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

You ran a 42 minute 10k past age 55? Much respect. I am not quite 50 yet and my sub-50 minute 10k races are well behind me.
I had to quit at 62, basketball as well, because of accumulating spinal effects. However, to that point, I'd never run 50+...

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008

While it was his turnover that indirectly led to the goal (gave them the possession in which they got the goal), it's not really fair to lay all of the blame for that goal at his feet.

Beasley could have pressed Ronaldo, not allowing him to simply tee up a cross, but he instead held back to prevent being beaten down the flank.

Cameron could have anticipated the run his man was making and maintained inside position, thereby being in position to actually contest the header.

Also, you'll notice that, of those three, Cameron didn't start this game which may indicate where Klinsman believed most of the blame lay.
Oh, I agree, not all his fault for sure and I agree with you on Cameron. But I have to say when Bradley turned that ball over I was screaming at the TV "Just clear this thing to the other end and let the clock run out!". One more big foot into the other third and its game over. Glad they advanced anyway though, looking forward to the next one.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

If the US can get C.J. Mosley to Brazil to mark Romelu Lukaku, it'll be a good matchup. Lukaku's a beast among the Belgians, but thinking Klinsmann will have learned a little from an earlier friendly (3-1 US defeat last year.)

Earle, talk about Klinsmann sounding like the church lady of your acquaintance, did you hear Ian Darke say that he'd ruffled Teutonic media feathers by refusing to do interviews in German leading up to the USA match? Ja vol, good buddy!
I'd already read it in the German media, which I read in German. Their feelings towards them is an interesting mix. It ranges from respect to feelings of betrayal. He did take questions in German today, which the interpreter (who wasn't doing a very good job) kept me from listening to closely. I'll look the remarks up later. It sounded like typical coach-speak, what little I could hear after the "Dolmetscher" jumped in the middle...

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham

Second, there are only ties in the Group play section of the World Cup. Group play is about having all of the teams in the group playing each other under "equal" conditions - so, 90 minutes with no extra time.
I don't understand this at all. If each team has to come out a victor, be it in regulation, stoppage time, overtime, or PKs they are all playing under "equal" conditions. It's of their own doing if they to win in additional time.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

I don't understand this at all. If each team has to come out a victor, be it in regulation, stoppage time, overtime, or PKs they are all playing under "equal" conditions. It's of their own doing if they to win in additional time.
I think that he meant with respect things like total minutes played. Group play is simply to winnow the field, but still allows for a solid 32 teams in the tournament. 32 is a good number given the fact that this is truly a global sport and event. The "real" play begins in the Round of 16. Some teams "cruise" a bit in group play and pay the price. Spain is a perfect example of that this year.

I like the way they do this - it makes almost every game matter. That is really hard to do with so many games - 64 total - and keeps the world entertained for an entire month.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Klinnsman is the best hire USMT has ever made...considering the changing demographics in this country, I think we could be a soccer power by my 40s (28 currently).

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
It was neat, seeing Klinsmann going over to greet his former assistants, following the game. I guess he thought it was safe, after refusing to speak German until this post-game interview...

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada

You ran a 42 minute 10k past age 55? Much respect. I am not quite 50 yet and my sub-50 minute 10k races are well behind me.
Amen B1G.

I had to go back 'n' reread what Earle had written.

Wow...

Kudos to both of you, as my, um, limted - and rather dated - running resume features zereaux sub-50 10K's...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

It hits me a bit comic. You guys are impressed and I think of that year as the one when the cracks started to show. I was barely in the 55 bracket when I ran that race and I tore my left ACL that year, playing basketball. I had to take most of a year to rehab and came back to basketball, but not to road racing. I also had to give up commuting up and down Monte Sano on my bike. My BB skills were starting to decline, although I did score 18 on the night of my 60th birthday (against mostly guys in their early 30s, who'd played small college ball). I also had 10 rebounds, but that doesn't count, because they were all long. All of the points were long-range jumpers. My wife and the guy who's our present mayor planned a surprise party, but I tried to beg off. I'd spent all day long in mandatory CLE and I was tired. It was at our customary saloon, the Thirsty Turtle. When I walked in, there was a huge banner on the wall "Earl (sic) is 60, older than dirt." It was a lot of fun, but the old bod was starting to wear down...

Aledinho

All-SEC
Feb 22, 2007

Owing to my less than stellar language skills, my Brasilian wife thinks we are playing the Waffle House next.

IGetBuckets

Suspended
Jan 13, 2014

It hits me a bit comic. You guys are impressed and I think of that year as the one when the cracks started to show. I was barely in the 55 bracket when I ran that race and I tore my left ACL that year, playing basketball. I had to take most of a year to rehab and came back to basketball, but not to road racing. I also had to give up commuting up and down Monte Sano on my bike. My BB skills were starting to decline, although I did score 18 on the night of my 60th birthday (against mostly guys in their early 30s, who'd played small college ball). I also had 10 rebounds, but that doesn't count, because they were all long. All of the points were long-range jumpers. My wife and the guy who's our present mayor planned a surprise party, but I tried to beg off. I'd spent all day long in mandatory CLE and I was tired. It was at our customary saloon, the Thirsty Turtle. When I walked in, there was a huge banner on the wall "Earl (sic) is 60, older than dirt." It was a lot of fun, but the old bod was starting to wear down...
Did you play Basketball Professionally?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Did you play Basketball Professionally?
Oh Lord, no. I'm not sure any of those guys are still playing in their 60s. My wife used to tell me that I needed to be playing guys my age, but I tried to tell her there weren't any around. It was play with young guys or not at all. One incident was a bit irritating. A guy connected to one of the players came out and he was a bit pudgy and had white hair (I still don't), but you could tell he'd played. He actually was a few years younger than I. He got a lot of cheers and encouragement. I commented to them later that they played me every week. Thing is, they just didn't think of me as being old at all - just as a competitor...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I'm still learning the way they score things, but if I'm figuring correctly I think with two more ties and another loss we will actually win the World Cup.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.