Game Thread: USA vs Germany - Escape to Live Again (main thread until Belgium)...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I'm still learning the way they score things, but if I'm figuring correctly I think with two more ties and another loss we will actually win the World Cup.
No, we're back to the old formula. Lose and you go home. I guess they can afford to stay around if they lose, but, somehow, I feel like they've probably had enough of Brazil, if they're not still playing...

BamaGreek

All-American
Jan 6, 2007
Brentwood, TN
In the knock out round you lose and go home that is correct. If it's tied at the end of regulation they will have I think two overtime periods of maybe 15 mins each. Someone can check me on that. If it's still tied at the end of overtime then they go to penalty kicks.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I still haven't figured out how to do the blue font, other than by manually typing the code.
The easiest way is to paint in the sentence as if you were going to copy it, then go up to the "A" at the top of the page and get the drop-down menu for font color. The blue is down around the middle...

bilbo

Pro Sports Moderator
Oct 13, 1999
Gulf Shores, AL
Would love to see them play Wondolowski up top. Jermaine Jones (and Tim Howard) have been the stars for us. Bradley really needs to get his act together...

stlimprov

1st Team
Nov 9, 2005
Saint Louis, MO
In the knock out round you lose and go home that is correct. If it's tied at the end of regulation they will have I think two overtime periods of maybe 15 mins each. Someone can check me on that. If it's still tied at the end of overtime then they go to penalty kicks.
Yup, the play the full OT...no "golden goal". Too bad they can't do the old FA Cup style and replay a few days later.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Would love to see them play Wondolowski up top. Jermaine Jones (and Tim Howard) have been the stars for us. Bradley really needs to get his act together...
I just have no idea what's up with Bradley. He really just doesn't seem to want the ball on offense. Instead of being aggressive, he gets rid of it as quickly as possible. I will say that he's become more active and aggressive on defense. We need to find someone to help fill the Altidore hole...

IGetBuckets

Suspended
Jan 13, 2014
I just have no idea what's up with Bradley. He really just doesn't seem to want the ball on offense. Instead of being aggressive, he gets rid of it as quickly as possible. I will say that he's become more active and aggressive on defense. We need to find someone to help fill the Altidore hole...
Hopefully Altidore :patriot:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I'm sorry, but penalty kicks are a stupid way to decide a World Cup match. i think a recent final was decided that way.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
well just continuing to tack on extra time until a goal is scored is a recipe for disaster too. Soccer is a physically exerting sport and they only carry 23 men rosters (and at least two are goalies). I think penalty kicks after 30 minutes of additional time is a reasonable way to end the game with player safety in mind.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
CJK has said he won't be available for Belgium. Maybe the next game, if we get by Belgium...
CJK said today he is "very optimistic" Altidore can play Tuesday.

I'm sorry, but penalty kicks are a stupid way to decide a World Cup match. i think a recent final was decided that way.
Same can be said for hockey using a shoot out to decide games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bilbo

Pro Sports Moderator
Oct 13, 1999
Gulf Shores, AL
well just continuing to tack on extra time until a goal is scored is a recipe for disaster too. Soccer is a physically exerting sport and they only carry 23 men rosters (and at least two are goalies). I think penalty kicks after 30 minutes of additional time is a reasonable way to end the game with player safety in mind.
Not to nitpick, but FIFA requires each team to carry 3 goalies

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.