Game Thread: USA vs Germany - Escape to Live Again (main thread until Belgium)...

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Re: USA vs Germany - Escape to Victory

I predict a 0-0 draw with very little excitement during the game. I think since our coach is a highly respect former German soccer player (who was part of the 1990 WC Champions team), both teams will "agree" to draw and move on to the knockout round.

Aledinho

All-SEC
Feb 22, 2007

Ghana without two key players. Kevin-Prince Boateng and Sulley Muntari sent home for confrotations with the Ghana officials and coach. Good news for us since Ghana is the bigger threat to overtake us on goal differential.

espn link

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I predict a 0-0 draw with very little excitement during the game. I think since our coach is a highly respect former German soccer player (who was part of the 1990 WC Champions team), both teams will "agree" to draw and move on to the knockout round.
May not be "agreed," but that is one possible scenario. Germany is almost dead certain to go on through. Since the teams are playing in the brutal heat and humidity of the Amazon, Low may decide to rest his starters. That's one part of the attached analysis I don't buy. The starters are starters for a reason. I've heard the old canard about the reserves being better for too many years about American football...

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

If we lose what do we need to happen in the other game for us to advance?

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL

It depends upon by how much we lose.

If we lose by, say, a 2-1 score to Germany then we could advance with:
- A Portugal/Ghana draw,
- A Ghana win by a score of 2-1 or 1-0, or
- A Portugal win by less than four goals.

We're basically rooting for Portugal against Ghana, to give us the best chance of advancing regardless of what happens in our game. Of course, I'm sure we'd all be quite happy with a 2-1 victory over the Germans to win the group.
:biggrin2:

EDIT: Here's a chart that shows the scenarios for the U.S. to advance:
courtesy of Andy Keller

Last edited:

CrimsonMapper

1st Team
Apr 19, 2006
Montgomery, AL

If we lose, we want to lose by one and hope Ghana only wins by one. The basic gist of it is that they need to make up 3 goals in the differential since we hold a tiebreaker over them. The amount of goals scored could play into as well, although i hope we don't get to that.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

- A Portugal/Ghana draw,

We're basically rooting for Portugal against Ghana, to give us the best chance of advancing regardless of what happens in our game. Of course, I'm sure we'd all be quite happy with a 2-1 victory over the Germans to win the group.
So we will know after the games today if we are advancing or not?

CrimsonMapper

1st Team
Apr 19, 2006
Montgomery, AL

- A Portugal/Ghana draw,

Especially since the 2nd place team gets Belgium in the round of 16.

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL

American Outlaws - Tampa Chapter check-in. I love our chances to go through, but the Germans are a machine that runs over you. Germany 3, US 1

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL

Torrential rains may cause the game to be delayed until tomorrow. Referees will kick a ball about an hour before start time to see if the field is ok. I'm not sure if they would delay Ghana vs Portugal as well, but I would think the wet field would make the game more defensive in nature (good for us).

It depends upon how wet the field is, especially with regards to standing water, and how much rain there is during the game, i.e. it's about how well the field drains.

If it's just a wet field, then it'll actually speed up the game - or at least the ball - and place an emphasis on technical ability wrt possession and especially passing. This, of course, favors the Germans.

Now, if there's standing water, muddy patches on the field, heavy rain throughout the game, etc. then that does benefit us as it would be mostly a defensive struggle with scoring opportunities coming almost exclusively on set plays - something at which we tend to excel.

Aledinho

All-SEC
Feb 22, 2007

In 1982 West Germany and Austria engineered a 1-0 victory that saw both teams advance at the expense of Algeria. It was widely ridiculed by fans including their own. Story Here. The final minute of the broadcast is amazing to listen to.

I don't think it will be agreed upon. But we probably see a more defensive posture from both teams where midfielders will not be sprinting to get into the attack or wasting energy pressuring the backs unless we need to score.

"The US is known to give all they have in every single game -- otherwise Mexico wouldn't be here." Jurgen Klinsman

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL

For those who aren't keeping an eye on the pregame coverage, FIFA has handed down the penalties for Luis Suarez' biting incident against Italy.

Suarez is fined ~$112,000.00 (100,000.00 Swiss Francs) - the only part of the penalty which can be appealed - as well as banned from Uruguay's next nine International Matches and all FIFA affiliated Soccer activity for the next four months - which means a handful of Liverpool's EPL games and half of their Champion's League season. He isn't even allowed to enter the Stadiums during that time.

Pretty heavy penalties but, in my opinion, not at all uncalled-for given this being his third such offense.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

For those who aren't keeping an eye on the pregame coverage, FIFA has handed down the penalties for Luis Suarez' biting incident against Italy.

Suarez is fined ~$112,000.00 (100,000.00 Swiss Francs) - the only part of the penalty which can be appealed - as well as banned from Uruguay's next nine International Matches and all FIFA affiliated Soccer activity for the next four months - which means a handful of Liverpool's EPL games and half of their Champion's League season. He isn't even allowed to enter the Stadiums during that time.

Pretty heavy penalties but, in my opinion, not at all uncalled-for given this being his third such offense.
I thought it could have been even worse, with his history...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.