Watching The Oklahoma Replay

Tradition4ever

1st Team
Oct 16, 2004
Carlsbad, NM
I still say that the defensive woes Bama experienced in this game had a lot to do with Oklahoma coming out in this game and running an offense for which our defense wasn't really prepared. During the season, the Sooners, I believe, were more of a run oriented offense with Blake Bell and Knight splitting time. I don't know how much they let Knight loose to throw like he did in the Sugar Bowl, but that wasn't their identity during the season. I think that CKS and CNS had prepared for something totally different than what we saw Oklahoma do offensively. Our D seemed to get better in the 2nd half, but turnovers combined with inconsistent offensive play from Bama and flawless execution on Oklahoma's part spelled doom for the good guys. We've seen this before (Stephen Garcia in 2010 anyone?)....

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
Win as a team, lose as a team. I think the blame can go fairly all over the place.
Which is why, with the exception of AJ, you didn't see any players or coaches placing blame anywhere for their struggles.

However, at some point, you have to analyze what went wrong and why. Don't think for a minute that Coach Saban and his staff have not analyzed what went wrong, where and why (staff turnover proves this somewhat). Our history, record and our successes last season suggest that the entire team was not what caused some consistent breakdowns at crucial junctures last season. We had some units that didn't play up to the Bama 'standard' consistently.

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
I agree that CMC has something to prove this year, but I also think alot of our struggles had to do with breaking in two new centers coupled with the fact that Barrett Jones might have been the most cerebral OL we've ever had.

Then there's that little thing called "chemistry" that it seemed the OL never had last year. Is that coachable or not?

Whatever the reasons/causes/solutions getting the OL working at a high level is paramont to our success this year no matter who the new qb is!
And, obviously, our last two OL coaches created some REALLY big shoes to fill. Hopefully we get back to having a fundamentally sound, dominating OL again this year. If so, with our skill players, we could put up some ridiculous numbers this season.

Bama1985

1st Team
Jan 18, 2006
Calhoun County
I don't know the rules about identifying players by name, but don't how to talk about problems without identifying the principals. I watched the first half and couldn't stand to see anymore. Turnovers killed Bama. The game turned in the 2nd quarter with the turnovers. IMO the fumble by the RB was caused largely by A.K.'s position facing the running back. It looked like he was the one that raked the ball from the running back's hands. I know he has had some fumbling problems, but I put this one A.K. Did the "K" brothers ever have a worse game than this game? I think not. I don't think 77 is ready for prime time. The O-line has to get better. The QB's INTs were killers as well. Oh and by the way we pushed a field goal just right. I didn't watch the second half of the game because I remember all too well how the pass protection et al failed. I'm of the mind that our half time adjustments are not that good either. Anybody else of that opinion?? I look forward to some redemption in the fall. It can't get here fast enough to suite me.

I wonder if the O line would have performed better had Steen been able to play?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
We can analyze d Oklahoma game until the cows come home, but it's really not any one particular position,player, or coach you can pin the particular blame. Ok if y'all wanna do that then tell me how a 12-1 team that just went blow for blow with the eventual nation champion gets utterly embarrassed by Utah in the 09 sugar bowl. Who do you blame for that game????

The problem with the Oklahoma and Utah games was it was a constellation prize for bama, and as good , if not better than, a national championship game for them

If you really want to see what went wrong with these teams (08 and 13) look at what they did in the games that pushed the other team in the natty.

If you look at the auburn game you have many conclusions you could come up with and many would be valid (not getting into it)

As for the Oklahoma game ... If you were to twist my wrist I would probably pick the two plays that affected the game (I'm in no way bashing the way the players play or how good or bad their career is) it was A) yeldon's untimely fumble In a close game and B) aj's throwing to the most open defender on the field. Those two mistakes led to 14 points in a hurry.

But like the 08 Utah game I think this game has little relevance on how we will be in the upcoming year because. If I'm not mistaken our o line and our overall defense was actually better in 08 than in 09.

Last edited:

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
We can analyze d Oklahoma game until the cows come home, but it's really not any one particular position,player, or coach you can pin the particular blame. Ok if y'all wanna do that then tell me how a 12-1 team that just went blow for blow with the eventual nation champion gets utterly embarrassed by Utah in the 09 sugar bowl. Who do you blame for that game????

The problem with the Oklahoma and Utah games was it was a constellation prize for bama, and as good , if not better than, a national championship game for them

If you really want to see what went wrong with these teams (08 and 13) look at what they did in the games that pushed the other team in the natty.

If you look at the auburn game you have many conclusions you could come up with and many would be valid (not getting into it)

As for the Oklahoma game ... If you were to twist my wrist I would probably pick the two plays that affected the game (I'm in no way bashing the way the players play or how good or bad their career is) it was A) yeldon's untimely fumble In a close game and B) aj's throwing to the most open defender on the field. Those two mistakes led to 14 points in a hurry.

But like the 08 Utah game I think this game has little relevance on how we will be in the upcoming year because. If I'm not mistaken our o line and our overall defense was actually better in 08 than in 09.
I'm in complete agreement about the turnovers. The turnovers, to me, were ultimately the deciding factor in the game. The O-Line had more than a few lapses in pass protection but that can be overcome. T.O's are like getting shot in the head. They have major negative effect that can't be overcome most of the time.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
Turnovers and play calling accentuated our problems with pass protection in that game. Striker wouldn't have been so disruptive trying to defend the run .

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
Add to the list our inablity to defend their screen pass game. After we made it 38-31 and had them pinned at their 12yd line they hit us with a crucial 3rd down screen play and then another big gainer by the screen on the same drive.

wishbonesooner

1st Team
Jun 26, 2001
Shawnee, OK USA
Just about every Sooner fan I know thought we were going to take a butt kicking. I know your kids weren't fired up, it was evident from the start. It was special to a lot of us old timers just to play Bama, whether or not you'd won the last 2 NC's or not. Your program is highly, highly thought of around here, it sounds like our program not so much to a lot of you. Two giants of college football played that night, I want to play you guys when you actually care about the game. Takes the fun out of it when you don't.

MikeD

Suspended
Feb 24, 2007
Just about every Sooner fan I know thought we were going to take a butt kicking. I know your kids weren't fired up, it was evident from the start. It was special to a lot of us old timers just to play Bama, whether or not you'd won the last 2 NC's or not. Your program is highly, highly thought of around here, it sounds like our program not so much to a lot of you. Two giants of college football played that night, I want to play you guys when you actually care about the game. Takes the fun out of it when you don't.
A little of topic, but I just spent two weeks in Ok City on business and stayed in the Brick Town area. Wow! I was really impressed with what has happened to the city over the years. It would be a great city to live and work downtown. As a bonus I got to watch the Bama softball team beat the Ducks in the tournament while I was there.

IGetBuckets

Suspended
Jan 13, 2014
I damn well cared. Maybe some rather immature segments of our team were not particularly motivated, but they should have been. I have never played a game, even pick up games, where I did not ache to win.

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
Agree with everyone about the severity of the turnovers. IIRC, they scored 28 points off of 4 TO's we committed. And don't forget in the 3rdQ (I think), CJones ran a punt back to their 1 foot line, but we committed two (not one, but two) blocks in the back on the return. That's 35 pts we lost / gave away......can't win playing like that. Give OK a lot of credit, but it pains me to think the mistakes we made.

Wanderer

Suspended
Jun 24, 2014
Bama holds the record for bowl victories and folks are going to say they aren't important? Please.

Did OU have more motivation to win the Sugar Bowl? I would say so. But by the same token I think a large part of the reason Bama beat Miami (1992) and Florida (2009) like they did was because they were hungrier for a championship. Sometimes there is more motivation for one team than the other, but winning is always important and meaningful.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Bama holds the record for bowl victories and folks are going to say they aren't important? Please.

Did OU have more motivation to win the Sugar Bowl? I would say so. But by the same token I think a large part of the reason Bama beat Miami (1992) and Florida (2009) like they did was because they were hungrier for a championship. Sometimes there is more motivation for one team than the other, but winning is always important and meaningful.
But your talking about a championship game vs a bowl game.
No one really is saying the ou and Utah games were meaningless but you can't deny that we were the better team and they were the more motivated team.
If we play either of those games in the national championship game we would most likely win. But you are also talking about 18 to 24 year old boys to get up for what is basically an exhibition game in their eyes when they are used to playing for the crystal every year

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Sip,

I got the impression Alabama (players) did not really want to be in the Consolation game and Coach Saban realized it too. The Defense gave up to many pass plays and it was a team failure of no playing in the National Title Game. I am sure that has been addressed and corrected.
We're falling into the trap of remembering what the bowl games used to be rather than seeing what they have become. It was an exhibition game and an extraordinary letdown for our team, and that's exactly how we played.

Wanderer

Suspended
Jun 24, 2014
But your talking about a championship game vs a bowl game.
All things considered, it makes a difference in emotional levels even in a championship game. If Alabama had turned around and played those teams again after getting their belly full, I bet the games would have been a lot closer. Same thing with LSU in 2011. I think they were emotionally deflated by having to play Bama again after already winning the Game of the Century.

Bama's had its benefits as well. But at the end of the day, every game counts on your record and matters. No excuses. If Bama had played USC in a bowl game in 2006 and beat them, I doubt many would here would have listened to the excuse of "Well, we were used to playing for championships and y'all beat us because we didn't care about playing for anything less than crystal." Bama fans would have been overjoyed.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
All things considered, it makes a difference in emotional levels even in a championship game. If Alabama had turned around and played those teams again after getting their belly full, I bet the games would have been a lot closer. Same thing with LSU in 2011. I think they were emotionally deflated by having to play Bama again after already winning the Game of the Century.

Bama's had its benefits as well. But at the end of the day, every game counts on your record and matters. No excuses. If Bama had played USC in a bowl game in 2006 and beat them, I doubt many would here would have listened to the excuse of "Well, we were used to playing for championships and y'all beat us because we didn't care about playing for anything less than crystal." Bama fans would have been overjoyed.
I'm not over the Oklahoma game and I really want to stick it to other power conference fans. But you and I are taking this from a fan standpoint and we can take it from being down cuz of a bad loss costing us a natty to being excited over having Oklahoma in the super dome. But you have to take it from the players standpoint.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.