Link: Offseason BUZZ from the Capstone: What we are hearing

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
The only buzz I want to hear from the Capstone is the OL is developing quickly and we have a FG kicker who is automatic from at least 40 yards in.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
I tend to have selective memory, but I remember the 2012 Iron Bowl when AJ and co. scored every possession to amass 49 points and then Blake comes in with almost an entire half left to play and, well, the score stayed at 49. And that Auburn team was terrible.

Playcalling had everything in the world to do with that, because Nick Saban didn't want to embarrass the Auburn coaches.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Why is there so many excuses for Blake's poor performances in A-day and live games year after year. Its the play calling, it's that he's playing with the second offense, its he doesn't have a lot of experience, etc etc etc. You only get so many chances at something like this. At some point you have to take advantage of the opportunity you get instead of fall flat on your face every time.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I'm just not as worried about who our QB will be. If we can go 12-2 with the team we had in 2008 and JPW, 14-0 in 2009 with McElroy and 13-1 with a youthful AJ we should be able to do as well with whichever QB comes out on top.
I think it has a lot to do with the staff pushing the surrounding players to make the job easier for the young QB (or in JPW's case, somewhat deficient QB). Those 2008, 2009, and 2011 teams were some tough mudders in the trenches. They physically abused people on offense and made the play action game pop for the QB. We'll need something similar to excel this season...

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Why is there so many excuses for Blake's poor performances in A-day and live games year after year. Its the play calling, it's that he's playing with the second offense, its he doesn't have a lot of experience, etc etc etc. You only get so many chances at something like this. At some point you have to take advantage of the opportunity you get instead of fall flat on your face every time.
This is patently unfair.

His A-Day performances have been bad - no argument. But what do you want from him in a real game? He's playing with second and third teamers and often against an energized bench from the opponent. He is, in fact, limited by playcalling. He's not going to look like Kenny Guyton backing up Braxton Miller. Give it a rest.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Please tell me one game, besides the spring game, that he played badly. There's not one.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
QFT

In fact, it's kind of insulting to Sims to suggest he'll get the nod because he's done the time - if he starts it's because CNS and the staff believe he gives us the best chance to win, period.
I think we should play the best QB period, no matter who it is. But it should be after a battle for the job.
My frustration here is so may people dismissing Blake and pre-ordaining Jacob Coker as the second coming of Namath when he's never done anything, and I mean, anything to show that he either can or can not get it done. That's all I'm saying.
I think we should at least let him take a snap at an official practice before immediately naming him the starter.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
This is patently unfair.

His A-Day performances have been bad - no argument. But what do you want from him in a real game? He's playing with second and third teamers and often against an energized bench from the opponent. He is, in fact, limited by playcalling. He's not going to look like Kenny Guyton backing up Braxton Miller. Give it a rest.
What do I want from BS in a real game? To complete a pass or two. Command the offense. Get a few first downs. Bama's second team is better, or at least on par, with most other teams first unit. I'll keep on believing what I see with me eyes while you keep making excuses.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I think we should play the best QB period, no matter who it is. But it should be after a battle for the job.
My frustration here is so may people dismissing Blake and pre-ordaining Jacob Coker as the second coming of Namath when he's never done anything, and I mean, anything to show that he either can or can not get it done. That's all I'm saying.
I think we should at least let him take a snap at an official practice before immediately naming him the starter.
That statement is overly broad and you know it, Sip. I can just as easily say that, every time he's been given center stage, Blake has shown he can't do it, except for running a very limited package late in games. Coker's physical talents have been displayed and evaluated by experts. So, basically, they're starting out even, as they should and will. Sims shouldn't be dismissed, but, OTOH, Coker shouldn't be dismissed as a total unknown quantity who's shown nothing. If I were a betting man, I'd have to put my money on Coker, just based on measurables and physical ability. But I may be wrong...

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
What do I want from BS in a real game? To complete a pass or two. Command the offense. Get a few first downs. Bama's second team is better, or at least on par, with most other teams first unit. I'll keep on believing what I see with me eyes while you keep making excuses.

You make a good point. It actually says "excuse maker" on my business card.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Please tell me one game, besides the spring game, that he played badly. There's not one.
On the flip side, can you name one game he's played well in? Unfortunately for him, the spring game is the biggest sample of plays we have at this point.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I really appreciate the thread! This reminds me of the AJ or PS debate. Thankfully that one worked out OK.

FWIW, this is the second "report" I've heard about Jake Coker getting better and better in summer skels. The other one came from BOL.

We do have something to compare the two on and if you'll look at the video posted in the link it shows Coker throwing a bunch of passes. Several are from the FSU spring game and several are from actual games he's appeared in. There are more than I've ever seen Blake Sims throw. All of Cokers' passes aren't perfect, but there is no comparing who the drop back passer among the two are. Mechanics, measurables, accuracy....there really is no comparison IMO.

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
He will get the chance in a live game, he will get enough snaps to properly evaluate him vs Coker. But to suggest he should get snap number one of the season because of what he's done is a little premature. I've never felt like we were a threat to score with Sims in the game. And I've never felt like he was comfortable throwing down the field. With AJ in 2010, that wasn't the case. He had shown us a little something. Also AJ and Sims were "even" in the coaches' eyes in 2011, so AJ got the first snap for seniority. If this year's battle isn't that close I think the best man should start.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
That statement is overly broad and you know it, Sip. I can just as easily say that, every time he's been given center stage, Blake has shown he can't do it, except for running a very limited package late in games. Coker's physical talents have been displayed and evaluated by experts. So, basically, they're starting out even, as they should and will. Sims shouldn't be dismissed, but, OTOH, Coker shouldn't be dismissed as a total unknown quantity who's shown nothing. If I were a betting man, I'd have to put my money on Coker, just based on measurables and physical ability. But I may be wrong...
Probably a little broad indeed. I just, right or wrong, sense a bit of a pro-Coker movement and a bit of an Anti-Blake movement at the same time. All I'm really saying is that nothing at all has been decided and shouldn't be determined until they strap on the pads and one proves he's the best man for the job.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
He will get the chance in a live game, he will get enough snaps to properly evaluate him vs Coker. But to suggest he should get snap number one of the season because of what he's done is a little premature. I've never felt like we were a threat to score with Sims in the game. And I've never felt like he was comfortable throwing down the field. With AJ in 2010, that wasn't the case. He had shown us a little something. Also AJ and Sims were "even" in the coaches' eyes in 2011, so AJ got the first snap for seniority. If this year's battle isn't that close I think the best man should start.
I'm not basing my starter prediction on my "wants" or an opinion of "he deserves it because he's been around", although I do believe he deserves a shot. I wrote that I think Blake will start game one because I don't think Coach Saban will start any player at the position of QB who hasn't even been through a spring practice to learn the system.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I really appreciate the thread! This reminds me of the AJ or PS debate. Thankfully that one worked out OK.

FWIW, this is the second "report" I've heard about Jake Coker getting better and better in summer skels. The other one came from BOL.

We do have something to compare the two on and if you'll look at the video posted in the link it shows Coker throwing a bunch of passes. Several are from the FSU spring game and several are from actual games he's appeared in. There are more than I've ever seen Blake Sims throw. All of Cokers' passes aren't perfect, but there is no comparing who the drop back passer among the two are. Mechanics, measurables, accuracy....there really is no comparison IMO.
Coker was 18-36 last season for 250 yards, no TD's and one interception.
Blake was 18-29 for 167 yards, 2 TD's and no interceptions.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Sip, if there is any bias toward Sims it's for a lack of seeing what some would like to see in the times he's played that make them think he's "the answer."

My bias is that he looks like a running back playing quarterback. No personal animosity, just my personal opinion.

Just going on what I've seen, but Coker just looks more like a quarterback than Sims, based on what I've seen.

The good news is CNS and CLK will see both of them take alot of snaps in August and they'll make the right decision.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.