Link: Offseason BUZZ from the Capstone: What we are hearing

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Well I really wish CNS would get over the whole "running up the score" ordeal. It may make a difference with the selection committee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Don't you go and get me all excited! You better not do that!! :biggrin2:

I really hope that OLine comes together. That and the secondary are really my only concern.
Seems I recall that after spring ball the general buzz was that the right side of the OL was in pretty good shape. Just need to have a couple of guys step up on the left side. Whoever they are, they`ll probably be young.

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
I guess yall don't remember the long and accurate pass that a young GMac threw in mop up duty against the Barn in 2008 for a touchdown? No, CNS wouldn't let a back up throw when the game is out of hand to make it 36-0.
Didn't Greg get some heat from Coach Saban for that? Seems like I remember a story or two around that NOT being the play that was called. :)

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Seems I recall that after spring ball the general buzz was that the right side of the OL was in pretty good shape. Just need to have a couple of guys step up on the left side. Whoever they are, they`ll probably be young.
It sounds/looks like LT will be big Cam. LG is pretty solid with Arie, who had a mixed year, but I think it clicks for him this year. Depth along the OL in general is strong IMO.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Now some of that OL depth is unproven to be sure, but the talent is there. Casher, Jackson, etc.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Also (I've got 24 hour duty tonight thus all the posts) I am interested in seeing how our young fast twitch guys are used. Evans, Hand, and Miller. I'd be glued to the action if CNS puts them out there on 2nd/3rd and long and says, "Just go get that QB."

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
It sounds/looks like LT will be big Cam. LG is pretty solid with Arie, who had a mixed year, but I think it clicks for him this year. Depth along the OL in general is strong IMO.
Hope you`re right about Arie. Also, could be an important year for CMC as far as coaching is concerned. Recruiting has never been an issue.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Here's Cokers ESPN stats for 2013 at FSU last season
CMPATTYDSCMP%YPALNGTDINTSACKRATRAW QBRADJ QBR
That's not even possible. He can't have 42 touchdowns on 18 attempts.

Why is there so many excuses for Blake's poor performances in A-day and live games year after year. Its the play calling, it's that he's playing with the second offense, its he doesn't have a lot of experience, etc etc etc. You only get so many chances at something like this. At some point you have to take advantage of the opportunity you get instead of fall flat on your face every time.
So Saban's A-Day comments about not running plays that show what kind of QB Blake can be are an excuse by folks? Was that Saban's way of making an excuse? Folks at the coaching clinic and practices talked about the offense running the diamond formation. I never saw that during A-Day.

What do I want from BS in a real game? To complete a pass or two. Command the offense. Get a few first downs. Bama's second team is better, or at least on par, with most other teams first unit. I'll keep on believing what I see with me eyes while you keep making excuses.
Does telling the room stink because you farted count as making an excuses or does that count as explaining the outcome? If that's an excuse, I'm excuse making for Blake. If it's not an excuse, no one is making excuses. As I said above, Saban himself talked about not doing things during A-Day that show what kind of QB Blake can be.

Lol thanks for the friendly banter. Your bumptious attitude is always good for a laugh or two.
Same can be said for you posts.

I think that question answers itself. A lot of people will say because CNS doesn't like to run the score up when a game is in hand, but I remember when AJ was backup it seemed he was allowed to throw a lot more, at least down the field, than Blake has.
Let's look at the backup's stats since the 2007 season to see how Blake compares.

Greg McElroy:

YearCompletionsAttemptsYardsTDINT
Total162019621

Star Jackson:

AJ McCarron:

Phillip Sims:

Blake Sims:

Total233924420

Phillip Ely:

The only backup that has thrown more passes than Blake is AJ.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
That's not even possible. He can't have 42 touchdowns on 18 attempts.

So Saban's A-Day comments about not running plays that show what kind of QB Blake can be are an excuse by folks? Was that Saban's way of making an excuse? Folks at the coaching clinic and practices talked about the offense running the diamond formation. I never saw that during A-Day.

Does telling the room stink because you farted count as making an excuses or does that count as explaining the outcome? If that's an excuse, I'm excuse making for Blake. If it's not an excuse, no one is making excuses. As I said above, Saban himself talked about not doing things during A-Day that show what kind of QB Blake can be.

Same can be said for you posts.

Let's look at the backup's stats since the 2007 season to see how Blake compares.

Greg McElroy:

Total162019621

Star Jackson:

AJ McCarron:

Phillip Sims:

Blake Sims:

Total233924420

Phillip Ely:

The only backup that has thrown more passes than Blake is AJ.
I just call it like I see it. Every time Blake has been given a chance with the first team in A-Day he has looked really bad throwing the ball, making decisions, and commanding the offense. When those things are brought up the response is "Well we are hiding what he can really do. His talents are so great that they cannot be displayed." Huh? I don't care how talented Blake is he isn't going to do something that hasn't been seen before. Diamond formation, read option, spread option, whatever you think these "secret plays" are they have for Blake have been done before in some capacity. Blake is a running back playing quarterback. That is the root of the issue. He is average at best at throwing the ball and that is not going to get the job done. If you think differently that's fine. I have seen Coker make throws that Blake could only dream about making. Does that make JC a better QB? Not necessarily. But as Earle alluded to earlier in this thread Coker has been evaluated by professionals and has more potential and throwing ability than Blake. That's what a QB has to be able to do. Throw the ball.

Kevin4Bama

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2005
Theodore, Alabama, United States
Didn't Greg get some heat from Coach Saban for that? Seems like I remember a story or two around that NOT being the play that was called. :)
The only thing I remember about that is taking some heat from the other team and media for running up the score and showing up Auburn and coach defending him for doing exactly what he should have against press coverage. They showed press coverage and Greg audibled, but my memory may be fuzzy.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
LG is definitely not solid. I sure hope Arie gets it together but I'm not betting the farm.
Well I did couch my opinion with "pretty solid." I hope he improves too but I can see a guy like Grant Hill sliding in if he doesn't. The penalties and missed assignments were far too common.

Yeah, but if CK, when he started out, is any indication we'll be alright.

Sent from my iPhone

Roll Tide! 15 Time National Champions, More BCS Championships than any school...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.