Link: Offseason BUZZ from the Capstone: What we are hearing

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
Well I did couch my opinion with "pretty solid." I hope he improves too but I can see a guy like Grant Hill sliding in if he doesn't. The penalties and missed assignments were far too common.
Something doesn't compete with me on why AK played all last year, all we heard was that Grant Hill was amazing and our 6th best lineman but we continued to play a LG who repeatedly had missed assignments and penalties in critical situations. I hope Arie makes a big leap in his second year as a starter but IMO he shouldn't have too many mistakes left before someone else gets an opportunity.

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
The only thing I remember about that is taking some heat from the other team and media for running up the score and showing up Auburn and coach defending him for doing exactly what he should have against press coverage. They showed press coverage and Greg audibled, but my memory may be fuzzy.
That's how I remember it. It was't a called play. McElroy just took advantage of what the silly Aubs showed him.

bamanix

1st Team
Mar 24, 2010
alasippi, you may be right. coach saban is loyal to his players, but, I really think blake sims disappointed him in the A game. he was unhappy with his not running ball on occasions when there was no other option. coach wanted blake to use the dual option when the opportunity arose and he didn't. I don't know who he starts, but, I do believe that his getting coker was not just to get another qb. I still think bateman, can be effective. coker just adds a dimension bama has not had since saban has been at bama. and I think the wants it to happen now. I leave it in the hands of the coach, but, I believe when the west va game is over we will all know who the qb is. I am not anti blake, I am just wanting to continue what coach and his staff have brought to the bama fans. starting a 5 year backup player is not where this team is prepared to go at this stage. at least I hope not./

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Seems far fetched to me. @coachingsearch is Pete Roussel. Never heard of him tbh.
Rousel is an ex-coach (college) and is CEO of coachingsearch.com. He does not like Kiffin or how he called some games. He likes Clemson and FSU in the final 4 and I believe he picked Clemson to beat the Barn in the final. Based on that you can wad up his comments and throw it out with the trash.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
alasippi, you may be right. coach saban is loyal to his players, but, I really think blake sims disappointed him in the A game. he was unhappy with his not running ball on occasions when there was no other option. coach wanted blake to use the dual option when the opportunity arose and he didn't. I don't know who he starts, but, I do believe that his getting coker was not just to get another qb. I still think bateman, can be effective. coker just adds a dimension bama has not had since saban has been at bama. and I think the wants it to happen now. I leave it in the hands of the coach, but, I believe when the west va game is over we will all know who the qb is. I am not anti blake, I am just wanting to continue what coach and his staff have brought to the bama fans. starting a 5 year backup player is not where this team is prepared to go at this stage. at least I hope not./
I think the thing that really is irking bama fans about coker is all the hype and potential ridicule if he doesn't live up to it from rival fans. But remind me how much of this coming from coker himself?

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
Also (I've got 24 hour duty tonight thus all the posts) I am interested in seeing how our young fast twitch guys are used. Evans, Hand, and Miller. I'd be glued to the action if CNS puts them out there on 2nd/3rd and long and says, "Just go get that QB."
As good as Anderson, Williams, Robinson, Pettaway, Tomlinson, and Allen looked at A-Day...we may not need these guys as early as we thought we would.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
As good as Anderson, Williams, Robinson, Pettaway, Tomlinson, and Allen looked at A-Day...we may not need these guys as early as we thought we would.
Evans, Hand and Miller are probably all, "three and outs". Might as well play them don't ya think?
Without the early entree junk I'd try to redshirt them as well, but it's just not that simple anymore.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I think the thing that really is irking bama fans about coker is all the hype and potential ridicule if he doesn't live up to it from rival fans. But remind me how much of this coming from coker himself?
I just want to see him earn the job rather than everyone assuming that it's already his. That's truly all I'd like to see.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I just want to see him earn the job rather than everyone assuming that it's already his. That's truly all I'd like to see.
Im not assuming coker is a lock for the job,but Personally I think coker is going to win based of his physical stature and his deep ball, but I'm not going to take a side like a good portion of bama fans because I refuse to relive the 2011 qb battle. That year I was a Simms fan not an AJ because of my high school dislike of AJ, but in the end I found myself the next 3 years being an AJ fan.

If sims wins I'm a sims fan, and if coker or anyone else wins I'm likewise I just think people are taking coker's supposed hype too personal. But you are 100% right whoever wins has to earn it.

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
But aren't you confusing virtual life (board opinion) with real life -- what will happen in August in training camp?

None of us expect Coker or Sims to be handed anything. They'll have to earn it and that's exactly what will happen when whoever is named starter.

It's just seems the majority opinion here is that Coker will be the one to earn it in camp, but who knows?

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now

I hope most Bama fans enjoy the moment more than that? But I doubt it. Too much consternation on the subject these days. Being the Gold Standard of college football is where we stand right now.

If Coker turns out to be as good as advertised, the disdain should just keep coming and I hope for years to come. I think we should just keep on embracing it, much like championship parades and going to see the president. It's just a cool time to enjoy this version of the Tide.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
You may be right. At the very least they'll see time on ST. Like alasippi said, they are three and out future NFL type guys. Better play them now.

I have a hunch that Evans may be the best pass rusher of them all. It's going to be so much fun watching them come along, whatever they do.

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
Evans, Hand and Miller are probably all, "three and outs". Might as well play them don't ya think?
Without the early entree junk I'd try to redshirt them as well, but it's just not that simple anymore.
If they're better than the guys in front of them, sure. But as freshman, I'm not sure they will be. I think depth at Jack is pretty great with Dickson, Anderson, and Williams. If Evans or Miller are good enough to push those guys aside, great. We'll be in terrific shape.

I think Evans could see some time at the SOLB position. Word is he is excellent in coverage. Auburn was recruiting him at a hybrid safety-linebacker position.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
But aren't you confusing virtual life (board opinion) with real life -- what will happen in August in training camp?

None of us expect Coker or Sims to be handed anything. They'll have to earn it and that's exactly what will happen when whoever is named starter.

It's just seems the majority opinion here is that Coker will be the one to earn it in camp, but who knows?
I've handed the job to Coker. Done deal there. Just waiting to hear back from CNS.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

Here's what I know Moon. From the expectations I've read about Coker, he's going to have to be darn near perfect from the moment he steps on the field or he's going to get killed with pressure and further expectations, because he's viewed as some incredible Quarterback just waiting for his opportunity that he has unjustly never been given.
Blake, on the other hand, is that guy who has simply bode his time and nobody expects anything from.
Which one has a better chance for success? No clue.
But I have a question. Did we even offer Coker out of high school?
I don't think we did. If I'm right, isn't it a bit crazy to think this guy is going to come in and run all the other QB's off?
It's a big question mark and I don't care. let's just win some games with whoever is best for the position.
sip

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.