Link: Offseason BUZZ from the Capstone: What we are hearing

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
But I have a question. Did we even offer Coker out of high school?
I don't think we did. If I'm right, isn't it a bit crazy to think this guy is going to come in and run all the other QB's off?
It's a big question mark and I don't care. let's just win some games with whoever is best for the position.
sip
Actually we did but It was way late in the recruiting process. He was a life long bama fan and was really disappointed that saban waiting til , I wanna say November to offer. But by that time jimbo offered him and he was expected to be the next qb after Manuel, and then daemon Craig stole Winston and the rest is history.
Like I said it's more the hype about him that's crawling under most peoples skin and I guess some feel that we are stooping to auburns level by hiring a mercenary to solve our qb problems. But I doubt we doing shady stuff to do it.

http://m.espn.go.com/ncf/story?storyId=10428327&src=desktop
Here is proof btw

Last edited:

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
Here's what I know Moon. From the expectations I've read about Coker, he's going to have to be darn near perfect from the moment he steps on the field or he's going to get killed with pressure and further expectations, because he's viewed as some incredible Quarterback just waiting for his opportunity that he has unjustly never been given.
Blake, on the other hand, is that guy who has simply bode his time and nobody expects anything from.
Which one has a better chance for success? No clue.
But I have a question. Did we even offer Coker out of high school?
I don't think we did. If I'm right, isn't it a bit crazy to think this guy is going to come in and run all the other QB's off?
It's a big question mark and I don't care. let's just win some games with whoever is best for the position.
sip
Is it really fans hyping Coker up with colossal expectations, or it fans who have seen enough of what Sims has to offer and are hoping, praying that Coker is good enough to come in, take the job, and set minds at ease--for a while? Not to have spectacular quarterback--just a capable quarterback on the roster who we feel we can win with? Cause I think it's the latter, at least for rational fans.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Actually we did but It was way late in the recruiting process. He was a life long bama fan and was really disappointed that saban waiting til , I wanna say November to offer. But by that time jimbo offered him and he was expected to be the next qb after Manuel, and then daemon Craig stole Winston and the rest is history.
Like I said it's more the hype about him that's crawling under most peoples skin and I guess some feel that we are stooping to auburns level by hiring a mercenary to solve our qb problems. But I doubt we doing shady stuff to do it.

http://m.espn.go.com/ncf/story?storyId=10428327&src=desktop
Here is proof btw
This is true...

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Is it really fans hyping Coker up with colossal expectations, or it fans who have seen enough of what Sims has to offer and are hoping, praying that Coker is good enough to come in, take the job, and set minds at ease--for a while? Not to have spectacular quarterback--just a capable quarterback on the roster who we feel we can win with? Cause I think it's the latter, at least for rational fans.
Rational fans say, let them compete in the fall, and let the coach make the final decision based on that competition.
That's ALL I've been saying. The speculation is ridiculous. Let them compete before "praying" that Coker is the guy. You're truly "praying" that Coker is the guy rather than waiting to see which one wins the job fair and square in head to head competition?
Why's that?
I mean, I hope Blake gets a fair shake but I'm not "praying" that he wins the job. Heck, it may turn out that Cooper Bateman beats both of them out. I could care less. Just wait until it's decided on the field and stop this "Billy Ray" expectation.
If you're too young to know about that expectation just know, it didn't work out as planned.
sip

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Rational fans say, let them compete in the fall, and let the coach make the final decision based on that competition.
That's ALL I've been saying. The speculation is ridiculous. Let them compete before "praying" that Coker is the guy. You're truly "praying" that Coker is the guy rather than waiting to see which one wins the job fair and square in head to head competition?
Why's that?
sip
I think it's just lack of subjects to talk about over the summer. You might as well relax and let folks speculate. It's the summer past time...

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I think it's just lack of subjects to talk about over the summer. You might as well relax and let folks speculate. It's the summer past time...
I'm sure you're right. I guess I'm as antsy as the next person and ready for the real season to begin.
Since free agency, I'm just not a Major League Baseball fan anymore. The teams change rosters so much it's hard to be loyal to any of them. That makes for a long boring sports summer.
sip

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I'm sure you're right. I guess I'm as antsy as the next person and ready for the real season to begin.
Since free agency, I'm just not a Major League Baseball fan anymore. The teams change rosters so much it's hard to be loyal to any of them. That makes for a long boring sports summer.
sip
Have you been checking out any of the world cup? I'll take world cup over baseball any day. This is the perfect time to get into also.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Yea it feels like 2011 all over again, but hey if I'm not mistaken we won a natty. But I think it's best not to take a side because someone is going to get mad and do the thing we like to call keyboard rage and then bad things start to happen, but this won't matter by the time we sing rammer jammer after we beat mushmouth because we will all be behind whatever qb CNS and CLK pick

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I am confident CNS will make the right decision when it comes to selecting the QB. Let 's just hope this does not turn into another Zow vs Watts ordeal.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
There will be a competition. No one wants Coach to hand Coker the job, but many are hoping he'll earn it.
LOL...ok...Earle's gonna shoot me, but I have no choice but to ask.."WHY"..are you "hoping" that he'll earn it? Why not hope that the best QB on the team, according to the coaches, after fall camp, "earns it" rather than "Hoping" specifically that Coker earns it?
Do you owe him money or something?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
LOL...ok...Earle's gonna shoot me, but I have no choice but to ask.."WHY"..are you "hoping" that he'll earn it? Why not hope that the best QB on the team, according to the coaches, after fall camp, "earns it" rather than "Hoping" specifically that Coker earns it?
Most people are just a little more optimistic in the unknown I guess???

If you want a better answer here it is
Size, arm strength, and the unknown factor that's what "TEAM COKER" is basing it on.

I'm not hoping anyone but the best qb wins. The only hoping for coker was him coming here to push our qbs to a new level so whoever would win the competition would be the guy.

Ok I answered that,but we both want the best to win, can you say why, besides he has been here his entire career, do you lean towards sims

Last edited:

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Most people are just a little more optimistic in the unknown I guess???

If you want a better answer here it is
Size, arm strength, and the unknown factor that's what "TEAM COKER" is basing it on.

Ok I answered that,but we both want the best to win, can you say why, besides he has been here his entire career, do you lean towards sims
Because he went through the spring as the starter and I don't think Coach Saban would have kept him at the Quarterback position at all if he didn't think he could do the job. He would have moved him to DB or wide receiver or running back, somewhere he felt Blake might could contribute.
He's too good of an athlete not to use him somewhere.
Many here say, "I'm going by what I've seen Blake do, or not do". Coach Saban has a much closer look than we do, and for whatever reason Coach Saban keeps playing Blake at Quarterback.
I don't think it's because he feels sorry for him or feels like Blake deserves a shot. I think it's because he feels he can play the position and play it well.
I may be wrong but I don't think so. But we'll see. It's a long time til snap one of the regular season.
sip

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Because he went through the spring as the starter and I don't think Coach Saban would have kept him at the Quarterback position at all if he didn't think he could do the job. He would have moved him to DB or wide receiver or running back, somewhere he felt Blake might could contribute.
Many here say, "I'm going by what I've seen Blake do, or not do". Coach Saban has a much closer look than we do, and for whatever reason Coach Saban keeps playing Blake at Quarterback.
I don't think it's because he feels sorry for him or feels like Blake deserves a shot. I think it's because he feels he can play the position and play it well.
I may be wrong but I don't think so. But we'll see. It's a long time til snap one of the regular season.
sip
Fair point. May the best man win and the rest hold their heads high for going through one of the toughest qb competition in the country.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
sip
You really think Blake would get PT at RB or DB with the roster we have? I think you are overstating his athletic ability. He's an average athlete on our roster. Nothing special athletically that I've seen with Blake. I'm not saying he is a scrub athlete just saying I've never been wowed by his athleticism. I think CNS keeps him at QB to run the read option to run the clock out when we are blowing someone out. That's what his role on our team last year was. I don't really see it changing this year.

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
I'm hoping he'll win because I'm hoping he's the better quarterback. I'm hoping he's the better quarterback both because I'm not sure we can win the big ones with Sims-- and I want to win the big ones--and because he has a high ceiling and I'd love for him to start reaching it sooner rather than later.

Sims, to me, just has not seemed comfortable throwing the ball. Yes he's completed some passes but most that I remember were shorter passes. Also, I've always thought he played tight and you do not want that from your QB.

But yes, I am hoping that the best QB earns the job, the QB playing best at the time the season starts.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Coker didn't' participate in the Spring camp, and since we lost few QBs... If Del Rio hadn't transferred, It would be Blake and Del Rio battling it out for a job, and if Coker still came, it would be three way battle throughout summer and in fall, so Blake has had and had opportunities and He messed up at A day. Now, A day was very vanilla, so we can't put it on him. Now, It will be three way battle in the fall, but many are predicting it's Coker, and many are saying Sims will make it close and possible win the job. I don't care who wins the job outright, but in my heart, I'm rooting for Sims, but I know logic thinking will say Coker in this case. SIms needs to prove that he can handle pressure and not make silly mistakes and if he can do that, he can get the job. Coker has to prove that his knee is 100 percent fine, and that He is better than advertised. Both have lot to prove and so let's sit back and enjoy the debate for a while until August camp.

sip

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Can our OL be dominant?

If yes, we need a game manager. Nothing more. Whether it's Coker, Sims, or Bateman, it matters not.

If no, well I hope our defense can shut teams down.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Yeah, a lot of folks don't seem to understand that when a QB under Saban is doing mop up duty that he really isn't getting a chance to show his stuff.
I remember Coach Saban getting upset when he put Derrick Henry in a game with about a minute to go, and Derrick took off on an 80 yard touchdown run.
He wasn't upset at Derrick, of course, just upset about scoring so late. he really doesn't like doing that once the game's in hand.
Upset with our team? Or the opponent who stopped competing before the end of the game?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.