Link: Offseason BUZZ from the Capstone: What we are hearing

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Can our OL be dominant?

If yes, we need a game manager. Nothing more. Whether it's Coker, Sims, or Bateman, it matters not.

If no, well I hope our defense can shut teams down.
37 Career OL Starts Returning does not usually project to a dominant OL.

im4uainva

All-SEC
Jul 3, 2011
Charlottesville, Va
Upset with our team? Or the opponent who stopped competing before the end of the game?
Well, when it comes to *u, I wish he (CNS) would get over that. *u needs to be scored on by every facet of our beloved Tide. Each and every time Bama touches the ball they should try and score a TD. I don't care if it's with one second left in the game, throw a bomb! I dislike that team and their fans so much that I want to see them crawling out of the stadium by the end of the first quarter from sheer humiliation. Shut them down, shut them out, and most of all...shut them up! If I am still alive in 20 years, I would like to able to hold up ten fingers and stick both my feet in the air at the same time and tell them to count those too, if they can count that high. But...that's just me. Roll Tide!

Last edited:
I just want to win another national championship this year to start another run. It seems like the 2012 season was a decade ago. OL wise I think that the Florida game will show us how good they can be. The continuity was not there last year and after the LSU game we seem to have lost something. I hope we get it back this season, because we will need it. That being said, I think we are in for a heck of a ride, but I don't know nearly as much as you all, especially since after the Auburn and Oklahoma losses I stayed away from the game for a minute.

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
You really think Blake would get PT at RB or DB with the roster we have? I think you are overstating his athletic ability. He's an average athlete on our roster. Nothing special athletically that I've seen with Blake. I'm not saying he is a scrub athlete just saying I've never been wowed by his athleticism. I think CNS keeps him at QB to run the read option to run the clock out when we are blowing someone out. That's what his role on our team last year was. I don't really see it changing this year.
Just wow. I hate it for Blake, with lack of PT and all, but it is NOT because he is not a great athlete. I can't believe what I am reading...

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Just wow. I hate it for Blake, with lack of PT and all, but it is NOT because he is not a great athlete. I can't believe what I am reading...
Depends what context you are comparing him to. Compared to the average person he is a great athlete. Compared to all the elite athletes on Bama he is an average athlete. Its not a knock on him. Just to be recruited to Bama and stay in the program for 5 years you have to be a strong athlete. I've just never been wowed by his athleticism like I have been by Cooper, Yeldon, Collins etc. That's who I'm comparing him to when I say average. You think he is on the level of those guys athletically?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Depends what context you are comparing him to. Compared to the average person he is a great athlete. Compared to all the elite athletes on Bama he is an average athlete. Its not a knock on him. Just to be recruited to Bama and stay in the program for 5 years you have to be a strong athlete. I've just never been wowed by his athleticism like I have been by Cooper, Yeldon, Collins etc. That's who I'm comparing him to when I say average. You think he is on the level of those guys athletically?
I get what you mean. Take into consideration the training a QB does compared to a WR, RB, or S. They're not the same. Given his weight, one of the most athletic guys on the team is A'Shawn Robinson. How does he compare to Coop, Yeldon, or Collins? Not very well on the eye test, but he does when you consider his position and weight.

This isn't to be a pro-Blake post or anything. Just pointing out how we have to consider different variables when making those comparisons.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I get what you mean. Take into consideration the training a QB does compared to a WR, RB, or S. They're not the same. Given his weight, one of the most athletic guys on the team is A'Shawn Robinson. How does he compare to Coop, Yeldon, or Collins? Not very well on the eye test, but he does when you consider his position and weight.

This isn't to be a pro-Blake post or anything. Just pointing out how we have to consider different variables when making those comparisons.
Exactly. And maybe I was micro-analyzing a little to much but I just think people throw around the word "great" to often. What I've seen from Blake running the spread option is that he has pretty good straight line speed but not great lateral agility. In other words I don't think he can do athletically what someone like Drake can do and make a defender miss and then accelerate past them. But, as you say, he has been training as a QB so to compare him athletically to a RB really isn't fair. Blake was a former running back though and that's really what my original comment originated from.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Stating the obvious here, but in our scheme (offensive philosophy) athleticism at the quarterback position means very little.

I'd rate it like this:
1. Intelligence/understanding what's expected of you/what folks call a game manager
2. Ability to throw the football accurately and with decent arm strength/but not necessarily being Peyton Manning
3. Willingness to stand in the pocket and let play develop/willingness to throw the ball away to play the next down/ability to scramble and make something out of nothing.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Stating the obvious here, but in our scheme (offensive philosophy) athleticism at the quarterback position means very little.
Historically under CNS, yes - but until this season, none of Bama's QBs under CNS had scrambling abilities that would strike fear in anyone.

Both Sims and Coker can move up the field. I suspect we'll see more use of mobility from the position this season due to that.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Historically under CNS, yes - but until this season, none of Bama's QBs under CNS had scrambling abilities that would strike fear in anyone.

Both Sims and Coker can move up the field. I suspect we'll see more use of mobility from the position this season due to that.
It's nothing but a positive when your QB has the ability to tuck it and go. Gives the defense yet another problem to defend.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
historically under cns, yes - but until this season, none of bama's qbs under cns had scrambling abilities that would strike fear in anyone.

Both sims and coker can move up the field. I suspect we'll see more use of mobility from the position this season due to that.
What are you talking about????? At Alabama, we run the pro-style offense, not some sissy stuff like gus!!! I wants our quarterback to be a statue in the pocket!!!!

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I agree with all above, just that "athleticism" hasn't been preferred above the higher rated/more desired things under CNS.

If a guy has the ability to do it all, I think we all agree that would make our offense even more difficult to defend, but I still think scrambling/running ability is last alternative unless CLK/CNS breaks out a lot more zone read plays that gives the qb the opportunity to regularly run.

Sounds like both Sims and Coker could do it. It's just a question of "does CNS really want to do that?"

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
If Coker wins the job, I see him using his legs like Aaron Rogers or Big Ben. He'll pick up the first down if the space is there, but there aren't going to be any designed runs. He'll running ability is really just another part of his passing game.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Rational fans say, let them compete in the fall, and let the coach make the final decision based on that competition.
That's ALL I've been saying. The speculation is ridiculous. Let them compete before "praying" that Coker is the guy. You're truly "praying" that Coker is the guy rather than waiting to see which one wins the job fair and square in head to head competition?
Why's that?
I mean, I hope Blake gets a fair shake but I'm not "praying" that he wins the job. Heck, it may turn out that Cooper Bateman beats both of them out. I could care less. Just wait until it's decided on the field and stop this "Billy Ray" expectation.
If you're too young to know about that expectation just know, it didn't work out as planned.
sip
I think it's more people praying that Coker lives up to expectations which are sky high.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
37 Career OL Starts Returning does not usually project to a dominant OL.
Typically not, but in 2009 we were also breaking in 3 guys and that group only had 41 starts (at Bama, not counting Carp) and 27 of those were from MJ. They turned out to be a really solid group.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.