Link: Offseason BUZZ from the Capstone: What we are hearing

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I thought y'all might enjoy these tidbits of info from folks I truly trust & have been following a few years..The Coker info is awesome..It's info like this that helps pass the summer go by..

Here's The Link..CLICK ME

1. Jacob Coker: The reports continue to get better every week. Word today from one of our best sources is: When Nick Saban and others call you phenomenal…WOW…Coach Saban was referring to a player (Coker) we need to step up. Going to be a good year if this is the case. Source said he could be special if everything comes together. Also talked to the best high school quarterback coach I know of and he said when he went to a clinic there recently that he had never seen anything like it. He coached against Coker in high school and said Jimbo has turned him into an NFL prospect. Coach also said if bama OL can come together this might be Saban’s most prolific offense ever because of the wr. No sunshine pumped as you know but this was really my only concern about this team. Said it was so noticeable how talented he is that the players gravitate to him. Nothing against Blake but they see the writing on the wall. His go to guy so far has been OJ Howard. They have clicked.

Last edited:

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
HAHA..The Tony Brown, Joshua Carter & especially the Tony Brow updates has me excited the most..Cause I think Coker will end being as good as any QB in the Nation..Our secondary needs Tony Brown to come in & play to solidify the secondary..And if Jackson is as good as they say..Our O-Line could be really really good..
Don't you go and get me all excited! You better not do that!! :biggrin2:

I really hope that OLine comes together. That and the secondary are really my only concern.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
If our OL comes together, our offense should be outstanding. Glad to hear about Brown and Evans on defense. We need playmakers in the secondary and guys that can chase the QB.

So ready for fall camp to start.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Before anyone panics regardless of the QB just remember: we averaged 30 points per game with John Parker Wilson his senior year. The FIRST role of a QB is to NOT mess up. Wilson was between average and mediocre his first two years as a starter, but I defy you to come up with any major mistake the guy made in 2008. I've long thought one of the best developments I've seen is Saban turning Wilson from a variation of Jarrett Lee into a solid quarterback, nothing spectacular. I think Blake Sims can do the same and be better at it (he's got more tools than Wilson did) IF he can just be solid and not worry about channeling his inner Donovan McNabb.

Thus, I'm more concerned about the O-line (good report there) and the secondary than anything else. If we get some good to great O-line play, we can hit them left and right with Yeldon/Drake/Henry - and the positive development would be no more dropping the football, too.

RollinTider1335

All-SEC
Jun 12, 2010
Spring Hill, TN
Before anyone panics regardless of the QB just remember: we averaged 30 points per game with John Parker Wilson his senior year. The FIRST role of a QB is to NOT mess up. Wilson was between average and mediocre his first two years as a starter, but I defy you to come up with any major mistake the guy made in 2008. I've long thought one of the best developments I've seen is Saban turning Wilson from a variation of Jarrett Lee into a solid quarterback, nothing spectacular. I think Blake Sims can do the same and be better at it (he's got more tools than Wilson did) IF he can just be solid and not worry about channeling his inner Donovan McNabb.

Thus, I'm more concerned about the O-line (good report there) and the secondary than anything else. If we get some good to great O-line play, we can hit them left and right with Yeldon/Drake/Henry - and the positive development would be no more dropping the football, too.
So which is better...average or mediocre?? :)

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
That's very high praise for Jacob, and I hope every word of it is true. Let's all remember, however, that he has never thrown a meaningful pass as a college player. He hasn't taken a meaningful snap since high school. We all hope he will be good. But I'm not ready to expect it.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Oh wow. I think I got little excited over here... I think I've wetted myself. I've been saying for a while that Coker is something special. TideMan09 and I were talking a while back and we both thought that Coker was something special and we were excited about that.

Last edited:

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Yup..I read too many things from QB Coaches , his high school coaches, FSU Coaches & they've all consistently said he's an elite NFL talent at QB..I agree he needs to prove it on the football field & I hope he does that..I'm on the Coker bandwagon & hope Coach Saban goes ahead & names him starter early on in Fall Camp so he can take the majority of the snaps & to end any QB controversy before it become a "distraction" as Coach Saban would say..
That's very high praise for Jacob, and I hope every word of it is true. Let's all remember, however, that he has never thrown a meaningful pass as a college player. He hasn't taken a meaningful snap since high school. We all hope he will be good. But I'm not ready to expect it.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I think he will. Two weeks in Camp and It'll show. The Fact He's throwing to OJ Howard tells me that you probably will see less ball going to RBs out of backfield and I'm okay with that.

IGetBuckets

Suspended
Jan 13, 2014
And I thought it was Florida that was home to "The Sunshine Network" :cool2:

Seriously, it is always great to hear good things, but I always temper my expectations. I am going into the year looking at Coker as a backup transfer with potential, yet coming off an injury - not as the guy who nearly supplanted the Heisman winner.

I am starting to buy in with Brown - he showed maturity and mental toughness at ADay imo, and you nothing but good things about him.

I especially hope the Oline stuff is true - we need toughness, an edge, and some real depth there

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
My main concern is our kicking game, Foster was considered elite out of HS, but never developed. And now Adam Griffith, another kicker also considered elite out of HS looked pretty shaky in the spring game.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
My main concern is our kicking game, Foster was considered elite out of HS, but never developed. And now Adam Griffith, another kicker also considered elite out of HS looked pretty shaky in the spring game.
I think Adam had way too much pressure put on him in the Auburn game. I wonder if he was even asked to warm up before attempting the field goal. If that's still on his mind then he's going to struggle. He has to forget it and move forward. The kid can flat out kick a football, he just needs a shot of confidence. Kickers are like golfers. When they start thinking about their swing they can hang it up.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Yup..And I still think he's going to be the starter from the 1st game on..When Coach Saban brings in JUCO's or a bigtime transfer like Coker..They usually start their 1st year of playing..And I think Coker will be the man..I love Blake & will have no problem should he win the job..I just don't see him starting though..I really really don't..
Oh wow. I think I got little excited over here... I think I've wetted myself. I've been saying for a while that Coker is something special. TideMan09 and I were talking a while back and we both thought that Coker was something special and we were excited about that.

Last edited:

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Yup..And I still think he's going to be the starter from the 1st game on..When Coach Saban brings in JUCO's or a bigtime transfer like Coker..They usually start their 1st year of laying..And I think Coker will be the man..I love Blake & will have no problem should he win the job..I just don't see him starting though..I really really don't..
TideMan I just don't think Coach Saban will start a QB in the first game of the season who has never taken a major college snap as a starter, and, even more important, has never been through a spring practice at Bama. That would be like starting a true freshman basically.
I think they both will play in the first game, Blake will start, and a decision will be made as to who might be "the man", kinda like when it was A.J. or Simms.
Blake deserves a chance to start a game. I think the team feels that way and I think Coach Saban feels that way. I certainly do.
I may be wrong but that's what I think.
sip

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
TideMan I just don't think Coach Saban will start a QB in the first game of the season who has never taken a major college snap as a starter, and, even more important, has never been through a spring practice at Bama. That would be like starting a true freshman basically.
I think they both will play in the first game, Blake will start, and a decision will be made as to who might be "the man", kinda like when it was A.J. or Simms.
Blake deserves a chance to start a game. I think the team feels that way and I think Coach Saban feels that way. I certainly do.
I may be wrong but that's what I think.
sip
I completely respect your opinion Sip, but why does Blake "deserve to start a game." There have been a lot of guys stay for their 5th year that never played in games but still had a positive attitude and helped out wherever they could. I just don't get the, "Well he's been a team player and sat the bench for 5 years so he deserves to play now." I want the best QB to play, whoever the coaching staff deems that to be, not the most deserving based on who's been around longest. Playing time should always be based on merit not seniority. JMO

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.