Link: Offseason BUZZ from the Capstone: What we are hearing

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
The point was more of the hype about cam and the high school success and commitment of trotter. Cuz trotter was guarenteed to start for tuberville but Gus went out to get cam. But there is noway trotter could run Guss offense. Trotter played coach Yancy football at briarwood not what Gus has.
But it does kinda have the same vibe and storyline excluding the fact that cam was a criminal. Like take these examples and compare:
1. A backup that was a high school standout vs a hired gun that is a physical specimen that played backup at a premier Florida university behind a heisman winner
2. Fan base divided between the guy who has been there and the guy rumored to take us to the promise land
3. Opposition heckling at either pick saying 3 to 4 loses
So Coker comes in, saves us, we win the NC and he wins the Heisman. I'll take that! ;)

Crazy thing is this: If he wins the job, who among us thinks he'll not have a couple of so-so games before he get's settled in??? Remember how the Barn almost lost to Miss. St. that year, but it was about a month into the year that Cam settled in and Gus figured out how to use him and the rest is history.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
So Coker comes in, saves us, we win the NC and he wins the Heisman. I'll take that! ;)

Crazy thing is this: If he wins the job, who among us thinks he'll not have a couple of so-so games before he get's settled in??? Remember how the Barn almost lost to Miss. St. that year, but it was about a month into the year that Cam settled in and Gus figured out how to use him and the rest is history.
I'll take that too, not saying it'll happen or let alone coker wins the job but RTR

This is true. I'll be less worried about this situation than the barn was. Cuz I think whoever it is has a lot better supporting cast than the barn did. Aside from lutz and dyer who did they have that is equal to coop, Henry, yeldon, and Howard and co.
And let's not forget about the worst bcs champion defense of all time with the most overrated star player known as nick fairly.

I don't think anyone on our schedule could force our qb to win the game until ole miss even though Florida might be tricky.

Last edited:

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
I'll take that too, not saying it'll happen or let alone coker wins the job but RTR

This is true. I'll be less worried about this situation than the barn was. Cuz I think whoever it is has a lot better supporting cast than the barn did. Aside from lutz and dyer who did they have that is equal to coop, Henry, yeldon, and Howard and co.
And let's not forget about the worst bcs champion defense of all time with the most overrated star player known as nick fairly.

I don't think anyone on our schedule could force our qb to win the game until ole miss even though Florida might be tricky.
nick fairly was a terror on defense in college his final year.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
nick fairly was a terror on defense in college his final year.
Yea but auburn acts like he was the best defensive player in the last 20 years cuz he knocked out two rival qbs and bullied a small oregon offensive line that six sec teams would've done far worst given the chance. And given the fact he was the lions 1st round pick and he hasn't done anything kinda supports this. IMO

But the point was that whoever steps into the qb role has far more talent offensively and defensively than the 10 A* team to work with.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
That's very high praise for Jacob, and I hope every word of it is true. Let's all remember, however, that he has never thrown a meaningful pass as a college player. He hasn't taken a meaningful snap since high school. We all hope he will be good. But I'm not ready to expect it.
Just remember he ain't a "kid" - he's already graduated from college. I don't think the pressure will bother him like it might an 18 yr. old.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009

Barn almost lost to MSU last year, too. MSU plays barn and Bama tough year in and year out - FWIW, I think they beat the barn this year (minus the injuries like last year).

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
And I thought it was Florida that was home to "The Sunshine Network" :cool2:

Seriously, it is always great to hear good things, but I always temper my expectations. I am going into the year looking at Coker as a backup transfer with potential, yet coming off an injury - not as the guy who nearly supplanted the Heisman winner.

I am starting to buy in with Brown - he showed maturity and mental toughness at ADay imo, and you nothing but good things about him.

I especially hope the Oline stuff is true - we need toughness, an edge, and some real depth there
Terry Grant shoulda won the Heisman. ;)

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
And OJ!? Heck Yeah!

I wouldn't think OJ and coke mixed but I will take it.

^ok sorry for the lame pun I couldn't help it.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Coker has the measurables to do some special things on the field. Still, if our O-line and defense are solid we won't need him to be great. Just distribute the ball to the likes of TJ, Coop, Henry, Howard, etc..

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA

All the QB in our offense has to do is play within the system, which may be the hardest thing for a QB to grasp about playing QB for Alabama, but it's been that way traditionally at Alabama and it's Coach Saban's style as well.

If you look over our storied history as one of the winningest programs in college football only a small percentage would have been won by great QB play.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
All the QB in our offense has to do is play within the system, which may be the hardest thing for a QB to grasp about playing QB for Alabama, but it's been that way traditionally at Alabama and it's Coach Saban's style as well.

If you look over our storied history as one of the winningest programs in college football only a small percentage would have been won by great QB play.
True to an extent, but then again, McElroy's final drive comeback against Auburn in 09 and AJ's final minute drive against LSU in Baton Rouge was way more than playing within the system. Those were just two examples of a Tide QB taking the team on his back, performing brilliantly, and displaying the greatness necessary to pull out a difficult win late in a game.
Whether our QB be Coker, Simms, Bateman, or whoever, in order for Bama to be a truly great team, there's going to be an occasion or two where they have to indeed be great as well.
sip

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

In our system, IMO, if you can hold the NECESSITY for great QB play to an absolute minimum, we can and often do win championships.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
True to an extent, but then again, McElroy's final drive comeback against Auburn in 09 and AJ's final minute drive against LSU in Baton Rouge was way more than playing within the system. Those were just two examples of a Tide QB taking the team on his back, performing brilliantly, and displaying the greatness necessary to pull out a difficult win late in a game.
Whether our QB be Coker, Simms, Bateman, or whoever, in order for Bama to be a truly great team, there's going to be an occasion or two where they have to indeed be great as well.
sip
Absolutely right. The use of terms like game manager and system quarterback makes it sound like the jet is flying itself. To be a good team, the quarterback must be able to make big plays at the biggest moments. To put it another way, he has to have the ability to put 100,000 butts back in their seats.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
I think the idea that at Alabama you just don't turn the ball over and let the defense win is incorrect. While it seemed to be true somewhat in 2011 it was really the best offensive line in football and Eddie Lacy that bull dozed most everyone in 2012. Still that year we almost lost it all by being outscored by Texas A&M. In my opinion the offenses are so diverse in the SEC at this time that there is no defense that is going to be able to lock down every team they face. I believe any team that wants to go to Atlanta is going to have to show some offensive moxy somewhere along the line to get there. I DONT think this is news to the staff. In fact I think they have seen it coming for a while. Last year it just didn't work out. Saban has gotten into trouble more for trying to sit on leads than anything else. He isn't perfect but he rarely lets a bad habit fester. My guess is he will change with the times.

Having said all that in my opinion long ball passing is not a measure of success. It's useful to scare safeties but it's the intermediate passing and the success on 3rd and 10 that defines a quarterback.

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now
sip

I agree. When Greg brought us back the game was manageable. As bad as we played and as I remember, our Heisman running-back nearly ran himself out of the trophy that game. Still missing on all offensive cylinders against a decent barn team at their house and Bama just needed a field goal to rain on their parade.

Same for LSU in death valley. Wow, that was a pitiful effort in the second half from AJ. Verne pretty much said before the last drive, he didn't see it happening. But our "team" kept us well within striking distance. And strike we did.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
I agree. When Greg brought us back the game was manageable. As bad as we played and as I remember, our Heisman running-back nearly ran himself out of the trophy that game. Still missing on all offensive cylinders against a decent barn team at their house and Bama just needed a field goal to rain on their parade.

Same for LSU in death valley. Wow, that was a pitiful effort in the second half from AJ. Verne pretty much said before the last drive, he didn't see it happening. But our "team" kept us well within striking distance. And strike we did.

Yeah I think AJ was something like 1-7 for -1 yards in the second half prior to the final drive.

Last edited:

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Probably a little broad indeed. I just, right or wrong, sense a bit of a pro-Coker movement and a bit of an Anti-Blake movement at the same time. All I'm really saying is that nothing at all has been decided and shouldn't be determined until they strap on the pads and one proves he's the best man for the job.
I don't sense as much "anti-Blake" as you do - I think everybody knows JC has a skill set that is light years beyond Blake's. I think that the positives coming out about JC are just so many that he is just getting a lot more "Pro's" than Blake. As I said in previous post, he ain't a kid - he has already graduated and he has seen at least some action. And, to be fair, when he did, he probably wasn't leading the first team either.
Blake has a month to make it a race - IMO, CNS will announce the week before WV game and it won't be Blake.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Call me crazy cause I still think we're going to see both play this season a good bit this coming season, while I still think Coker will be the starter, I honestly think Sims will come in & play meaningful snaps besides mop up duty..Like at LSU that one year when Coach Saban was HC there..That was a pretty dang good offense & the chang of pace of playing two QB's kinda excites me with the set of skills Coker & Sims both bring to the offense..JMO

What's going to be funny is if Bateman becomes the starter..Cause he actually impressed me the most at the A-Day Game..He's got a pretty dang strong arm & is the classic drop back passer Coach Saban loves since he's been our HC at Bama..I know it won't happen & Bateman will be lost in the shuffle behind Coker & Sims..And especially with Cornwell coming in & with the recent commit of perhaps at the end of this coming high school season, the best dual threat QB in the 2015 season..Barnett is going to be good, really good, I truly hope he sticks with Bama, especially if our offense shifts towards a more fast paced type offense that some are predicting..
TM,

I've said the same thing. We can run two totally different offenses and run them well with these two QBs. I could see it just as a change of pace especially if we don't get out of the gates fast. Personally, I think it will look similar to the Michigan game than the VT game against WV.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
TM,

I've said the same thing. We can run two totally different offenses and run them well with these two QBs. I could see it just as a change of pace especially if we don't get out of the gates fast. Personally, I think it will look similar to the Michigan game than the VT game against WV.
It would be nice but there is one problem... They are the same type of quarterback. They are both dual threat qbs with no big drop off in speed. Coker is not a typical pocket passer like many analyst and fans tend to believe when comparing him to sims.
There might be a qb rotation going into the Florida game but we will have 1 by the time of olemiss.
Whoever can throw better to our receivers and be cool under pressure will be the 1.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.