Link: Greg McElroy breaks down Auburn's offense

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA
I expect Bama's deep and more athletic front 7 to cause havoc with every team they encounter esp. auburn this year.
I agree. Once i started paying attention to auburn's offense about mid-season last year, I realized that the best way to stop that type of offense is to attack their o-line and shove them back into all the action that is happening behind the line of scrimmage. Marshall wouldn't know what to do if he was buried in a mess of linemen half the time. I guess i should have called Kirby and Nick before the Iron Bowl, but i assumed they would already have picked up on it. Easier said than done........

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
One thing that made auburn so deadly was the play of their center. He was handling opposing DL and/or LBs one-on-one, something you don't see much from a college center and something that really opens up the running game, freeing up guards to pull, block LBs down field, or double-team a big-time DT or DE. IMO auburn's offense starts with its center.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
We've got to have some better push up the middle this year...
Yeah I felt like all throughout last year the defensive line just kinda stayed at the LOS and tried to contain instead on trying to rush the QB. I'm so happy CNS rehired Bo Davis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
We've got to have some better push up the middle this year...
Yeah I felt like all throughout last year the defensive line just kinda stayed at the LOS and tried to contain instead on trying to rush the QB. I'm so happy CNS rehired Bo Davis.

Get in the backfield.
I really think we will see great improvement here and it will be a strength of our team. A'Shawn is another year older and stronger, Pettway, Tomlinson, Allen, and the infusion of guys like Hand, Evans, and Miller. Trey will have some fun behind those fellas. Add to that the emergence of Reuben Foster, I'd say our front 7 should be nasty!

graydogg85

1st Team
Feb 7, 2006
Huntsville, AL
Not long ago someone shared an article about Stanford's defensive success against HUNH teams. It basically boiled down to simplifying the calls and superior conditioning.
I think more and more defensive coaches - our staff included - are realizing that frequent substitutions and lots of varied personnel groupings are simply not viable options against the better HUNH teams. LSU is another defense that does this very well. They made one of the more prolific offenses in SEC history (Texas A&M) look pretty silly the last two seasons, and they did it mostly by keeping a lighter, faster personnel group on the field with few substitutions and using a lot of aggressive early-down blitzes. This way, your personnel grouping has a chance keep up with the pace if it gets cranked up, but you also give yourself a good shot to blow things up in the backfield on early downs. You leave the back end fairly exposed and they'll probably burn you with a couple of haymakers, but I think that's the lesser of two evils at this point.

To be fair, this is pretty much the way Chavis defends any offense, which is why he's not without his detractors.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
I think more and more defensive coaches - our staff included - are realizing that frequent substitutions and lots of varied personnel groupings are simply not viable options against the better HUNH teams. LSU is another defense that does this very well. They made one of the more prolific offenses in SEC history (Texas A&M) look pretty silly the last two seasons, and they did it mostly by keeping a lighter, faster personnel group on the field with few substitutions and using a lot of aggressive early-down blitzes. This way, your personnel grouping has a chance keep up with the pace if it gets cranked up, but you also give yourself a good shot to blow things up in the backfield on early downs. You leave the back end fairly exposed and they'll probably burn you with a couple of haymakers, but I think that's the lesser of two evils at this point.

To be fair, this is pretty much the way Chavis defends any offense, which is why he's not without his detractors.
Well with the way college football is evolving it would hurt CNS to have the defensive players a bit lighter.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.