Link: Greg McElroy breaks down Auburn's offense

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
You can often almost overanalyze it.
I do think McElroy has a point here. A lot of coaches seem to be overanalyzing this HUNH offense, especially with the more run-oriented ones such as auburn's. At some point you just gotta line up and have your big nasties beat theirs at the line of scrimmage. Last year against auburn Bama's DL simply did not do that on a regular enough basis.

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
Like the wishbone, this is about the NT/DT's and whether or not they get penetration. Contain the middle run with the NT/DT/MLB and the outside runs get eaten up and you can blitz the passer.

If you have to crash the DE/OLB to contain the middle run then your toast on counters/stretches/sweeps/play action.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Agreed. And we simply need to start wanting the Iron Bowl win as much as we want a LSU win or a NC win. I believe if we did that, we'd only lose an Iron Bowl 1x or 2x every 10 years at most.
LOTS of truth in what you say, IMHO. Just too much talent accumulated at Bama but that has to be married up with "want to", especially with the barn and the emphasis they openly put on this one game every year.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Well I'm sure they'll have their hands full with UGA and Pruitt, he already knows how to contain them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Gus' offense puts so much pressure on the discipline of the defense. He's got two to three "options" within each play he runs. It is a very fluid style offense with built in on the go changes.

The new wrinkle this season (as Gus has already publicly said it) that Auburn will not be anywhere near as run heavy as they were last season.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Gus' offense puts so much pressure on the discipline of the defense. He's got two to three "options" within each play he runs. It is a very fluid style offense with built in on the go changes.

The new wrinkle this season (as Gus has already publicly said it) that Auburn will not be anywhere near as run heavy as they were last season.
Buzz, did they get a new QB and set of WR's? :)

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California

I can see that with Coates returning as an experienced junior and that JUCO transferred Williams in the mix. losing Mason, Robinson, and Prosth will effect their potent running game this year one would assume.

Last edited:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Buzz, did they get a new QB and set of WR's? :)
Gus' offense reminds me of Urban's offense when it first hit the SEC. The scheme creates a lot of wide open receivers. Don't ask me how but it does. Gus is a smart dude and seems to be one of those who makes it a point to adjust before he gets "adjusted to". Also, Gus' offense is really designed to pass a lot so he's got a good idea on how to scheme open wr's.

Wanderer

Suspended
Jun 24, 2014

Malzahn does a lot of things to put the defense in conflict and causes them to think and make mistakes. He runs a lot of unorthodox formations, motions, and the QB is a potential ballcarrier. I just watched the first two series of the 2013 Iron Bowl. Every Bama run was a direct handoff to Yeldon. Aside from play action, no chance it was anything else. It's kind of like "We are running right directly at you and if we can't physically push you out of the way and/or run over you, this play has no chance." However, on Marshall's early TD run any of three AU players could have had the ball. The WR in motion, the RB, or the QB. The WR brought the OLB upfield and the RB caused the ILB to take false steps. This opened the door for Marshall's TD run. Great misdirection. Didn't have to manhandle either one of those defenders. The scheme took them out of the play. That is great coaching.

I was a little critical of Saban in another thread, and this is one of the reasons why. I don't think what Bama does on offense would have much of a chance with inferior talent. Malzahn, on the other hand, seems to do more things that can be effective without stud players.

If I had to pick a coach to create the Roman Empire out of an elite program, I would pick Saban. But if I had to pick a coach to overachieve with a ragtag unit, I think I would take Malzahn.

That's my opinion.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Malzahn does a lot of things to put the defense in conflict and causes them to think and make mistakes. He runs a lot of unorthodox formations, motions, and the QB is a potential ballcarrier. I just watched the first two series of the 2013 Iron Bowl. Every Bama run was a direct handoff to Yeldon. Aside from play action, no chance it was anything else. It's kind of like "We are running right directly at you and if we can't physically push you out of the way and/or run over you, this play has no chance." However, on Marshall's early TD run any of three AU players could have had the ball. The WR in motion, the RB, or the QB. The WR brought the OLB upfield and the RB caused the ILB to take false steps. This opened the door for Marshall's TD run. Great misdirection. Didn't have to manhandle either one of those defenders. The scheme took them out of the play. That is great coaching.

I was a little critical of Saban in another thread, and this is one of the reasons why. I don't think what Bama does on offense would have much of a chance with inferior talent. Malzahn, on the other hand, seems to do more things that can be effective without stud players.

If I had to pick a coach to create the Roman Empire out of an elite program, I would pick Saban. But if I had to pick a coach to overachieve with a ragtag unit, I think I would take Malzahn.

That's my opinion.
Perhaps a little "moo," but good points nonetheless.

dadleyblane5

All-SEC
Apr 19, 2011
DeFuniak Springs Fl.
Over analyzation is everywhere nowadays for the HUNH. I'm getting sick of people talking about it. Greg has some good points, but playing the HUNH in my opinion is ASSIGNMENT football, if a Defensive player is assigned a specific task on a play from scrimmage and fails to do so it can be catastophic for a Defense. I could go on and on with example after example from our guys as well as other teams. JMO

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Penetrating DL, LBs with instincts and speed, and sure tackling. These are three ways that immediately come to mind as how to stop (slow down) the HUNH.

Also, elite conditioning and simplifying the defensive calls. I'm no coach and at best an armchair expert, but it makes sense to me..

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.