Poll: Dead Pool: 2014 SEC Head Football Coaches

Who doesn't survive the 2014 season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
In order to fit this poll into the 13-choice format, CNS is not listed (not that you would have chosen him, anyway).

Choose all you think will exit by or at the end of the 2014 season, whether by way of termination, retirement, death, alien abduction, or other.

And by all means, vent. Rant, rail, pontificate, and spew venom. Tactfully. :smile:

Multiple choices allowed!

Last edited:

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
I'm guessing only Muschamp will get the ax. Bielema could, but it'd take a disaster of biblical proportions (fewer wins than last year and looking bad while losing) considering he's only been there a year. I don't see Mullen having a bad enough year to get fired or having a good enough year to get another job.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think Dan Mullen and Hugh Freeze are real "at-risk" candidates. Muschamp is going to turn it around off a fluke injury riddled season.

Mullen and Freeze have problems because their fan's expectations for 2014 in all likelihood outstrip their program's capacity. Mullen is the most vulnerable because I think he's maxed out MSU at the 7-8 win range but the homers are expecting more with Prescott, most of the offense, and a young promising D returning.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I think if the Dogs don't win the east this year der Richter might be changing addresses IMO (I say that every year). As I said in the WM thread, he is gone if they don't at least have an 8-4 year, and that might not be enough.

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
I'm guessing only Muschamp will get the ax. Bielema could, but it'd take a disaster of biblical proportions (fewer wins than last year and looking bad while losing) considering he's only been there a year. I don't see Mullen having a bad enough year to get fired or having a good enough year to get another job.
I agree on all points. I'm surprised no one has thrown a vote for CMR yet, though. Someone usually predicts him gone by now.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
I think if the Dogs don't win the east this year der Richter might be changing addresses IMO (I say that every year). As I said in the WM thread, he is gone if they don't at least have an 8-4 year, and that might not be enough.
Time for me to pick on UGA (mainly their fanbase) again. CMR has to have at least two bad seasons in a row (like the 2010 season for them or worse really) for McGarity to fire him. The few people who have sense in Georgia (luckily they're the ones in power at UGA) are wise to not get rid of him. Their program would be in much worse shape if not for CMR. Their fans would have fired him a long time ago if they could have. UGA fans think they should win it all every season no matter what. Only Barn fans are more delusional. My 2 cents.

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
It's do or die for Muschamp. A lot of his success will be determined by how good LSU, UGA, and USCe are this year. Do those teams have down years? Or are they at full-strength?

The respective teams of Mullen and Frieze should fare well, but IMO they're never going to win the West. If they can beat LSU or A&M (or both) that should really help their cause.

Bielema has to get another year regardless of how he fares. His track record at Wisconsin should buy him some confidence. At least they know he can coach.

Butch Jones needs to at least beat somebody. UGA, UF, USCe, or AU, I don't care, he just needs to beat somebody. Guaranteed wins over Vandy and UK every year aren't gonna cut it.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
I voted Pinkel. Serious off-field issues. Returns but 8 starters. Expected to finish in top 25. IMO, will struggle to win 6 games. I have them going 4-8.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
I voted Pinkel. Serious off-field issues. Returns but 8 starters. Expected to finish in top 25. IMO, will struggle to win 6 games. I have them going 4-8.
I agree on the outlook for UM's season. Six wins would be a surprise to me. But, I think Pinkel's built up enough credibility/good will to weather a bad season. They played for the SEC championship last year when nobody expected that to be a possibility. And that was with their starting QB missing a pretty good chunk of playing time. I'd be surprised if they pulled the trigger so soon after winning the East.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Picked Mullen over Muschamp, simply because he's been around longer and hasn't been able to live up the 9 win season a few years ago. Unless they win 9 or more, I think he's out.

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
Saban is going to Texas oh sorry that last years rumor... So he going pro sorry that was the year before. Well my 3rd cousin on my dad's side works for the cousin of the maid for the ad at Troy and him to Troy after this seaon is a done deal.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Barring a DuBosian disaster, every coach in the SEC except Muschamp is either too new or too well established to get fired.

I'm on the fence on Muschamp, though. He's consistently underachieved, especially on defense which was supposed to be his specialty. But he also inherited a mess from Meyer, has had incredibly bad injury luck, and has recruited well. As other posters have said, 2014 is his time to win or go back to being an assistant.

I don't expect Butch Jones to get fired after 2014, but I do expect him to be on a sizzling seat this time next year.

SEC games that matter are won in the lines. How many of 2013's five OL and defensive front seven starters return? One. And he's a linebacker. If they're even competitive in the 4th quarter against any team with a .500 SEC record, he should get Coach of the Year.

I still remember Fulmer / Adams / Sanford / Kramer / Johanigmeier, and won't ever forgive those orange @::mad:;$():mad:$(s for what they did to us, or their fan base for how they brayed. But Jones seems like a decent guy, and I believe he's in for a tough time this year.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.